Brand Affiliation: None.

Core Fusion 5

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:16 pm

Core News:

Core Fusion 5

core.png
core.png (435.55 KiB) Viewed 6181 times

XR7, meet your match - The Performance Freerider

When you have a kite as potent and powerful as the XR7, it’s mission-critical to find a twintip that can harness its power and precision. So, we built the Fusion 5 to do just that.

New from the water up, the Fusion 5 features an upgraded hull, wood core, and never-been-done-before rail construction. The new shape and improved torsional stability will have you woohoo-ing like never before. So grab an XR7 and explore your new limits.

How do we improve the already impressive Fusion 4?

Well, we started by adding an internal thermoset resin rail which massively improves the connection between the top and bottom Cartan carbon for a true unibody build. We reduced the weight of our Paulownia wood core by switching to lighter laminated Paulownia saving approximately 250g. We added a grab rail for the freestylers. And we improved the channels and outline for the freeriders. There's even more, so read on!

Fusion 5. Mission-ready for all your big air adventures.

https://corekites.com/us/boards/twintips/fusion-5

yyusufoglu
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 70
Local Beach: De Slufter / Zandmotor / Rockanje
Favorite Beaches: Bloubergstrand, Capetown
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR7 7-9-11/ Sensor 3 Pro Bar/ Core Fusion 5 135 x 40 / Mystic Warrior Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Core Fusion 5

Postby yyusufoglu » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:58 pm

Any members already riding the core fusion 5 who can give a real life review on this board? Dont think Janek's performance on this board can be considered to be a realistic representation of its capabilities. :D

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:36 pm

Last edited by POACHER on Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Postby SMJ » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:13 pm

yyusufoglu wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:58 pm
Any members already riding the core fusion 5 who can give a real life review on this board? Dont think Janek's performance on this board can be considered to be a realistic representation of its capabilities. :D
Hey yyusufoglu,
Mine came a few weeks ago, so I have several sessions on it. I weigh 230# (104kg), so I bought the 144.

BLUF: Hands down the best board I've ever personally ridden.

The long story:
It's super grippy. The stock 48mm fins and channeled rails provide gobs of hold. Core does sell smaller fins if this isn't your thing.
It's got a lot more flex & rocker than I though it would. This adds to the board's pop and butter soft landings. This can be adjusted with the new-fangled REVO grab-handle.
The double concave is awesome. Makes cruising super smooth, busts up chop with ease, and makes landings butter soft.
It's got a lot of rocker for a freeride board, but the big fins offset this. You can freely spin the board to toe-side by leveling the board off. With the board leveled off, the fins don't touch the water - that's how much rocker it has.
It's a light weight board with all that carbon.
I got the Union Pro pads, and they're super comfy. I like these more than the Carved Ultra pads.
I would consider this more of a big air board than a freestyle/unhooked board.

I like my 144 so much, that I actually have the 154 on order for light winds!
Last edited by SMJ on Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:18 am, edited 5 times in total.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:36 am

I want one, too, if it'll make me ride like Janek. :-?

Ianw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Gear: Core XR8, Lieuwe Falcon & Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None - Cost me a fortune!!!
Has thanked: 0

Postby Ianw » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:44 pm

yyusufoglu wrote:
Finally got my Fusion 5 137X41 after 3 months. My weight 75kg. It's a great mixture between Freeride & Freestyle. It's very grippy & rips upwind without being power hungry. Cuts through chop with ease. Easy to bury the rail without excessive back foot pressure therefore relaxing over long sessions. Stiffer & less rocker than the Shinn Bronq's I've owned recently. Also wider in the ends so great for taking off (pop), jumping and hang time. Overall - A great all round pretty board which rides as good as it looks
These users thanked the author Ianw for the post:
yyusufoglu (Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:26 am)
Rating: 3.03%

yyusufoglu
Rare Poster
Gear: Core XR7 7-9-11/ Sensor 3 Pro Bar/ Core Fusion 5 135 x 40 / Mystic Warrior Harness

Postby yyusufoglu » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:36 pm

SMJ wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:13 pm
yyusufoglu wrote:
Hey yyusufoglu,
Mine came a few weeks ago, so I have several sessions on it. I weigh 230# (104kg), so I bought the 144.

BLUF: Hands down the best board I've ever personally ridden.

The long story:
It's super grippy. The stock 48mm fins and channeled rails provide gobs of hold. Core does sell smaller fins if this isn't your thing.
It's got a lot more flex & rocker than I though it would. This adds to the board's pop and butter soft landings. This can be adjusted with the new-fangled REVO grab-handle.
The double concave is awesome. Makes cruising super smooth, busts up chop with ease, and makes landings butter soft.
It's got a lot of rocker for a freeride board, but the big fins offset this. You can freely spin the board to toe-side by leveling the board off. With the board leveled off, the fins don't touch the water - that's how much rocker it has.
It's a light weight board with all that carbon.
I got the Union Pro pads, and they're super comfy. I like these more than the Carved Ultra pads.
I would consider this more of a big air board than a freestyle/unhooked board.

I like my 144 so much, that I actually have the 154 on order for light winds!
Thanks for your detailed feedback SMJ! I am in the market for a free ride board suited for big air. Was between this model and the Lieuwe shotgun, will try to test both boards back to back before deciding. I am leaning more towards the fusion 5 for the carbon construction (and really like the way the board looks :lol: ).
These users thanked the author yyusufoglu for the post:
duddd (Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

yyusufoglu
Rare Poster

Postby yyusufoglu » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:46 pm

Ianw wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:44 pm
yyusufoglu wrote:
Finally got my Fusion 5 137X41 after 3 months. My weight 75kg. It's a great mixture between Freeride & Freestyle. It's very grippy & rips upwind without being power hungry. Cuts through chop with ease. Easy to bury the rail without excessive back foot pressure therefore relaxing over long sessions. Stiffer & less rocker than the Shinn Bronq's I've owned recently. Also wider in the ends so great for taking off (pop), jumping and hang time. Overall - A great all round pretty board which rides as good as it looks
Thanks for your feedback Ianw! I'm around 70 kgs myself and currently ride a 136cm x 40cm tt. I am quite happy with this size but the Fusion 5 is offered in either 135 / 137 cm so currently bit in doubt whether to go size bigger or smaller. There is also 2 cm difference in the width of these boards. Im thinking that i will end up with the 135 x 40.

duddd
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Flag Beach
Gear: wtb

Postby duddd » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:09 pm

yyusufoglu wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:36 pm

Thanks for your detailed feedback SMJ! I am in the market for a free ride board suited for big air. Was between this model and the Lieuwe shotgun, will try to test both boards back to back before deciding. I am leaning more towards the fusion 5 for the carbon construction (and really like the way the board looks :lol: ).
A bit late to the party, but I had ridden both the shotgun and fusion 5 last week, but only for max 30 minutes each.
unfortunately i have ridden the shotgun 141cm and the fusion 5 in 137 cm , so there is quite a difference between the two and i'm 80kg so the 137 cm fits me better.

Shotgun has insane pop . I currently ride a crazyfly raptor in 140cm and i have never seen a board with such great pop as the shotgun has. I also liked how the landings felt and i was being able to track down going downwind most of my jumps in gusty winds. That board had the basic lieuwe pads and i hated them ..for sure i don't recommend those, probably the pro pads are way better. The downside on this board is that it felt a bit slippery and had a skatey feeling. I once rode a carved imperator (again only for 30 minutes0 in 135cm and i had the exact same feeling as the Carved had, a skatey slippery feel, but for the gusting 30-35 knots i was riding with 8m dice, this wasn't what i actually wanted
I don't remember having problems with the chop, but neither a big difference compared with my raptor

Fusion 5 : insane grip in the water and could charge my heelside very fast and reactive. Less pop than the lieuwe , but the grip was way better. Same feeling in chop as the lieuwe, can't complain, but can't say it felt way better than raptor. Can't say i'm a big fan of the union pro pads as i felt some pressure near my pinky foot finger, but i took the board with the settings from the owner and just started riding.

In regards to weight, i don't think there is much difference between them, at least on water is insignificant

My conclusion: although i loved the Lieuwe for that huge pop, i will take the fusion 5 due to resell market .. At my spot there is absolutely nobody using Lieuwe and i know that it will be very hard for me to sell the board sometime in the future
i can get the fusion and shotgun for similar prices and it looks like my entity straps fit well on the stance i want on the fusion, where as on the shotgun i either have to go with Lieuwe pads or ask them to make customer inserts for the entity

megrim
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alacati, Gokova, Kilyos
Favorite Beaches: Gokova
Gear: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby megrim » Fri May 26, 2023 9:07 pm

Between Fusion 5 and Choice 5, I am really confused.
I am 165cm 67kg, I ride 8m2 and 10m2 Core XR.
I try to do hooked tricks & big air. Not into unhooked.
I ride in 20+ knots average.

Fusion has 48mm fins, Choice has 42.
Fusion has less rocker, Choice has more.

I love the extra pop and soft landings so I lean to Choice.
But I generally ride in choppy conditions so my inner feelings say Fusion.

By the way I am really considering Revo grab handle. Reducing the rocker and making the board 1 size bigger is a huge thing in theory I think.

Also couldnt decide for the size, 133 or 135?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Erhan

Return to “Kitesurfing”