Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What's my problem? (Learning Waterstart)

Forum for kitesurfers
Nick98
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 86
Local Beach: Egypt,Red Sea, Soul Kitesurfing , Ras Sudr
Gear: Renting with instructor
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What's my problem? (Learning Waterstart)

Postby Nick98 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:46 pm

Hello guys :D , So I've been on and off learning to kitesurf for a while , the last few days I went out with an instructor to learn waterstart.
I was astonished I could still remember some basic kite control , the session went well.. but, i had a small problem which I can't seem to realize what is it , or what is causing it? I'll present you here with the Symptoms , and I hope someone can extract the cause of it , How to prevent it , and What should I actually do.

Story:

We (Me & Instructor) were learning to water start , in about 1,3 Meters tide , and the wind was about 15 knots. MY kite is on 12 o'clock, I stirred the bar so I could initiate a power dive that possibly help me standing on the board, The kite is diving now , and I'm standing up , Now I'm in this awkward position were my body is leaning forward and the board is slipping backwards , My knees are hurting , I unfold my feet from the straps , and regain control of the kite to 12 o'clock , I go back and get the board that I obviously lost on purpose. The main symptom that I'm talking about is this "MY knees HURT :cry: " this actually prevented me from continuing the session, as I felt I should rest my knees because I had no power left in them. I'm thinking about doing warmups for the knees before my sessions , Is this even a thing ? , I know this doesn't fix the route problem of probably my bad technique of trying to stand up , but at least that should prevent an injury if my attempts to waterstart went awful, Remember I'm a beginner and I'm liable to do some mistakes, But I don't want these mistakes to prevent me from further completing my sessions. How can I protect my knees, and Prevent this to actually happen again ? , I'm open to suggestions. Cheers.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: What's my problem ? (Learning Waterstart)

Postby Toby » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:50 pm

A video would get you a detailed reply.
Any chance you can make one?

Nick98
Rare Poster

Postby Nick98 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:05 pm

Toby wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:50 pm
Not so possible Unfortunately. However the way I look when falling look something like this , taken from one of your videos at 11:30. You could imagine the board in this picture is slipping back from you underwater , and your whole knees and body are leaning forward , Un till u escape ur feet from the board and the tension releases.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 3.01.21 PM.png

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:23 pm

Just some thoughts and guesses:

1. Not everybody can cope with unsuitable amount of duck set up on the straps. Get the instructor to give you a jump test and adjust straps accordingly. Have them loose?

2. You generally do not dive the kite from the zenith, fly the kite to the back of the window before the dive. Practice with tiny runs of about 5m each way.

3. Check that you are getting tucked into right position by sitting on the beach in the correct position holding a bar. If a mate can easily pull you to your feet with the bar you are ok, if it takes him a lot of effort you are not scrunched enough. Drive your head over your knees.

4. When you dive the kite bear away by pushing with the front foot this will stop you being pulled forward over the board and allow you to keep your weight back.
Last edited by Herman on Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nick98
Rare Poster

Postby Nick98 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:25 pm

Toby wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:50 pm
That's possibly another image , this is were my knees got a little bit injured I would say. That's the position that i'm talking about your body and knees aren't coherent, you feel like your body is split into two halves :D .
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 3.21.14 PM.png

Coloradokiter
Medium Poster

Postby Coloradokiter » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:48 pm

A few other questions to help with a diagnostic.
Your age, height, weight, foot size and size of board you were using (length, width).

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:40 pm

do you remember how you slipped out of the board?

Because it is possible that your legs (knees) got stretched while flying forward, and the board stuck in the water...until you bend your feet to get out of the straps...or even didn't move your feet and the board kept on the feet. This lengthens your knees...and ligaments.

Anyway, few times more and you will be up and riding...and the pain should be history.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Re: What's my problem? (Learning Waterstart)

Postby Herman » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:18 pm

Check my points 3 and 4. Bad position means you need more power, you dig in the board so it does not move and thus reduce the tension build up in the lines.. Instead you edge until there is enough power to pull you up and over the board instead of up and onto a board which has been flattened out with the front foot to allow it to move. With practice your mindset will change from just trying to get up to starting to ride. You might understand that in hindsight……

PS: done well, as you come up the board should start moving towards the kite as it dives and by the time you are up there will be little tension in the lines. You stop the lines going slack by flying the kite back up and turning the board away from the kite onto a reach.

If you don’t fly the kite back up and turn the board away you will fall backwards which is safer and more controllable than falling forwards. Perhaps practicing with a half dive and falling back may be a useful exercise for you to get a feel of it.

Some feedback would be nice!

Return to “Kitesurfing”