Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Around Oslo, Norway
Gear: Machine, Chrono, Peak
TT and RL-boards orca foil set-up
Brand Affiliation: None

Samsung Watch 3 4G for kiting?

Postby jbrodin » Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:51 am

Any experience? The main purpose on my end would be the ability to make calls in the case of an emergency, but tracking, integration with Woo and such is of interest.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: Samsung Watch 3 4G for kiting?

Postby SENDIT! » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:57 pm

I’ve been using a Samsung Galaxy Watch (original) for the last 2 1/2 years. Works great and has stood up to all of the submerging that I’ve done to it, both in my riding and teaching. It gets texts, emails, wind alerts from the iKitesurf app, phone calls, etc..and I never even activated the waterproof mode. The original band lasted until about a month ago, when the little finger that goes through the hole in the band (seriously, what the hell is the name of that) started tearing through the hole. I ordered a new band from Samsung, but it was different than the original. It had 2 little “mushroom” type studs that popped through side by side holes on the band. Seemed a little less secure, but what do I know. Then this weekend, I found a shallow spot while foiling and got violently dismounted. About 5 minutes after I resumed foiling, I realized my watch was gone. Coming out the next day and conducting a diver’s search grid, I spent an hour looking for it, but never found it. :(

I’m planning on getting another one, as the last one worked so well and lasted so long (especially considering what I do for a living). Hopefully, the band on the new one will be more like my original and NOT like the one replacement I bought.

I don’t have a Woo, so I can’t comment on the integration there. I have answered a few phone calls on it while foiling and it worked fine! Fortunately, have NOT had to use it for an emergency, but glad to know that I could if I needed it. Hope this helps.

SENDIT!

Return to “Kitesurfing”