Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2021 Duotone Kites poor construction quality ?

Find reviews of kites, boards and accessories
Mo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The KiteHouse _ North Marina _ Liban Nord
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan, Ras Sudr
Style: Freestyle
Gear: DTK Mono 2020 15m, 2020 Mono 11m, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 Rebel SLS 10m, 2021 Neo SLS 9m, 2020 Dice 9m, 2022 Dice 8m, 2022 Dice 7m, 2022 Neo SLS 5m
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Re: 2021 Duotone Kites poor construction quality ?

Postby Mo » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:19 am

Think the more you research to get out max performance, there is a price to pay. Can lighter material, lighter glues, lighter threads be as durable as the 2019 DT construction that has heavier weight! I used in my DT original kites and they take the beating required - confident of durability.

SLS and D-Lab kites are still new but it is a compromise b/w performance and durability.

octavt
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Favorite Beaches: el medano , gruissan, secret spot
Style: big air
Gear: 2021 duotone rebel 8 & 11 m , jaime sls , mystic harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby octavt » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:48 pm

Just discovered another one. This is where the central strut was supposed to be fixed to the canopy. You can see both glue and stiching failed.
Response I got from duotone was that they will pay me back a part of the money to cover for repairs and loss of value.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:36 pm

This thread is really bumming me out. I just bought a new Rebel and like it so far, but the construction is concerning me. No signs yet but I will be watching.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:22 pm

matth wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:36 pm
This thread is really bumming me out. I just bought a new Rebel and like it so far, but the construction is concerning me. No signs yet but I will be watching.
Not defending Duotone, but considering the volume they sell I wouldn't be all that worried. Among my friends I guess Duotone (and old North) is the most commonly used. I don't think any of them have had a single issue other than small leaks in bladders (happens to every brand).

Still disappointing from Duotone I would argue.

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:09 pm

matth wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:36 pm
Yeah don’t worry too much.
In the last 3 years I’ve had over 30 Duotone kites both for personal use and in the school and only had an issue with 1 leaking bladder and Duotone sent a new one.
This years Neo sls kites have held up really well as have the new lines :D
These users thanked the author leepasty for the post:
matth (Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:00 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:48 am

This starts to look like black PR, how can you ride kite and just only notice such a severe damage to kite?
Not a fan of DT but as someone already mentioned DT must have like 40% market share if these were genuine problems we would have heard more people complaining
These users thanked the author SolarSet for the post (total 2):
octavt (Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:59 pm) • apollo4000 (Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:33 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

jedi1
Frequent Poster

Postby jedi1 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:00 am

Mo wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:19 am
Think the more you research to get out max performance, there is a price to pay. Can lighter material, lighter glues, lighter threads be as durable as the 2019 DT construction that has heavier weight! I used in my DT original kites and they take the beating required - confident of durability.

SLS and D-Lab kites are still new but it is a compromise b/w performance and durability.
Why would that be? Weight does not equal durability.

Here is a guy doing a comparison of breaking strength of Aluula vs Dacron:

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:24 am

jedi1 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:00 am
Mo wrote:

Strength and durability are 2 different things ;)

My take here is that due to Covid supply issues, the factory might have used a different adhesive tape and this issue has probably affected only a small batch. We'll see...

Dimitrios
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Athens
Style: Freeride/freestyle
Gear: Airush union +tt

Postby Dimitrios » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:41 am

diana_iv wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:20 pm
Last year we bought Duotone Evo. The situation this year is like in the pictures (the cloth of both Evo 10 and Evo 8 kites is broken, close to the trailing edge). This is most probably because of the glue they used - it hardened with the time.
We used these kites only one season :-(
I think this is caused due to flaging of the kite in the beach. (when the kite is parked and wind flaps the canopy). The harder-reinforced trailing edge acts as a guide and the canopy is folded right next to it making the canopy to wear out faster on the specific area/line. Not sure which part of trailing edge this was but if its in the center, left and right of the middle strut i would think that this is the cause. Kites should really not be left out parked in the wind. If im taking a break longer than 1 hr im deflating the kite and always try to park it in a windless spot if possible.

I ride airush union that has very weird angle middle strut, causing excessive flaping of the canopy if not careful

Matty V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Home made

Postby Matty V » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:50 am

jedi1 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:00 am
Mo wrote:

“A guy.. “

Or the son of the guy that owns ocean rodeo trying to convince you that the new material they just bet the farm on is better than normal material…

Seems totally impartial.

Return to “Reviews”