Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby knyfe » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:52 am

How does it compare to a 633? Stall speed / top speed / turn n carve?

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Postby TritonFoils » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:52 am

Thanks for the questions Knyfe!

We have been testing the production model of the T1 monowing extensively the last month and have a few observations to share that answer your queries.

With its B2 stealth bomber shape its no surprise the T1 likes to be powered. In terms of kiting yourself when riding the wing we are recommending ignoring the 1800cm surface area and think of the T1 as a 1100-1200cm wing. Its full range of performance characteristics really come into effect at 14kts and up in terms of its speed through the water. These include amazing carving, pitch stability and front foot pressure (no mean feat considering it has no rear stab).

We have taken the wing up to 21-22 kts where it does seem to max out of us... In short, its fast enough to be fun but also to be straight up this is not a high speed wing. With its low aspect design and total surface area it just isn't a high aspect race wing re: 30kts and up top end speeds and as such we don't recommend the T1 to riders who are primarily focused on speed as their desired characteristic in a wing.

The low aspect design of the wing creates a super low stall speed - literally a slow walking pace. This makes tacks amazingly accessible (you stay up on the foil at virtual stop) and if you do want to come off foil the wing lets you down slowly and gently. No elevator plunge to the ground floor lobby. :) Its 1800cm surface area certainly creates some low wind riding opportunities. I have been out on the T1 on my 9m sonic2 (at 170lbs) in 8 to 10kts wind speeds.

The thing that has really struck us about the T1 is just how silky smooth the ride is. It takes the powder like feel of foiling to the next level. Possibly its the absence of the fuse and rear stab? Whatever it is you have this sense of plowing through virgin powder with no vibration, total silence and a sensation of endless flow. This is an unexpected ride characteristic of the T1 that we are super excited about.

In short, we think this is a very special wing which in some ways points to the future of foiling as a no stab, no fuse discipline.

If you feel so inclined, you can check out our explainer video on our You Tube channel below.

We also hope to soon have a video up with the aerospace professor of engineering who designed the wing sharing his insights into the T1's unique hydrodynamics.

Reach out anytime!

Thanks again for the Q's

Rudy @TritonFoils

Sbrinckman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IJmuiden
Marina muiderzand
Favorite Beaches: Taiba
Cabarete
Mauritius
Sal
Style: wave and foil
Gear: Aluula Roam and Crave
Peak 5
Maverick kite
Arribarriba wave board
DSD Stallion wave board
Sabfoil T22, T38, 633 wing, 899, 1100 wing
F-one 100L, 85L wing board, 1240 phantom foil
Triton T1 monowing
AK durable 65L wingboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Sbrinckman » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:34 am

I think we are all waiting for unbiased reviews of this product before spending $1000. Looks like it has more or less the charateristics of the 633, without the hassle of bringing a stab and a fuse to the kitespot.

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster

Postby TritonFoils » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:47 pm

We hear you and are super keen to get this wing out into the world and riders sharing their experiences monowinging on the T1.

Our first full production run of wings will be available later this autumn for shipping worldwide.

We will be announcing an on-sale date shortly along with a limited beta tester program for experienced foilers only.

If you like to be beta tester PM me and we will follow up with info on the program when it is avaiible.

Couple of comments about the 633 and T1 and possible comparisons.

Regarding wind range and wing speed this is accurate.

Where they differ is on front foot pressure and turning / carving.

The T1 by virtue of being a no stab, no fuse foil has less front foot pressure.

Personally I have found the 633 to be a bit of beast in terms of front foot pressure but each to their own.

And, while the 633 has a really nice pivot capacity in say a tack, the T1 takes these maneuvers to a different level.

You can see an example of the T1 tacking below.

Thanks SB.

Rudy @TritonFoils

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:06 pm

I don't get it. It seems like a novelty with no advantages over a traditional foil. The videos are of people mowing the lawn on it and riding 2 foot lake chop no better than anyone has been doing on the 633 and every subsequent surf foil for years. The most recent video in the thread is someone doing a heel-toe tack on it. That's fine, but you can do that on any foil. I don't how this product answers the really important question of, "Why would I want to spend $1000 on this?"

I feel this way pretty much every time I see a tailless foil, though, they all seem to be focused on showing that it's possible but they never seem show that it's better.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:29 pm

What’s the point? Why not? You never know if you don’t try.
Weight is one thing.
I started with a 3.8kg al foil. Switched to a 2.5kg carbon one. Maybe a 2.0kg mono-wing foil would be even more enjoyable. Lighter, faster to assemble, easier travel, easier shallow water starts, no sharp tail to kick or tangle lines on, there could be many advantages…
IF it’s what you enjoy. If not, move on.
I like light weight surfy foils and strutless kites.
Both have disadvantages, but I like them. Someday I probably will try a mono wing too and see how it is.
These users thanked the author BWD for the post:
TritonFoils (Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:40 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster

Postby TritonFoils » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:30 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:06 pm
I don't get it. It seems like a novelty with no advantages over a traditional foil. The videos are of people mowing the lawn on it and riding 2 foot lake chop no better than anyone has been doing on the 633 and every subsequent surf foil for years. The most recent video in the thread is someone doing a heel-toe tack on it. That's fine, but you can do that on any foil. I don't how this product answers the really important question of, "Why would I want to spend $1000 on this?"

I feel this way pretty much every time I see a tailless foil, though, they all seem to be focused on showing that it's possible but they never seem show that it's better.
We get where you are coming from and its the key question - e.g. what is the innovation here? Is a unicycle any better than a bicycle? Not much except a bunch of compromises most riders don't like.

When we started prototyping the T1 monowing the initial engineering challenge was to try and replicate the feel of stab+fuse foil with just a single wing+mast.

We quickly found this isn't easy as (to state the obvious) you lose front foot pressure and pitch control without a rear wing.

After a lot of trial and error, painstaking testing and some amazing hydrodynamic modeling by our PhD engineer and professor (https://www.tritonfoils.com/goetz.html) we have come up with what we think is the first monowing design that more than adequately addresses these traditional drawbacks of single wing foils. As such, we think there is case of parity re: the overall ride characteristics of the T1 vs. a traditional foil along with the monowing's weight advantages, compactness, less hardware, and lower cost (than buying a front wing+fuse+rear stab).

Interestingly (to us) we are finding this is only part of the answer to your "why?". What is neat about the T1 is the feel. It is a much cleaner, purer foiling sensation. Without a fuse and rear stab you get this very pure floaty feel. And, if it is your thing, you also get an amazing turny / carvy ride that is superior to traditional foils.

The final verdict lies (as it should) with the riders on this forum and we are keen for feedback as the first production wings become available this autumn.

We think there are going to be a lot of new converts to monowinging - we know we are hooked. :)

Thanks for the question.

Rudy @TritonFoils

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:12 pm

Oh I think the advantages are clear. No stab and fuselage ;-). One less thing to worry about. Just even putting it into the car without the clutter would be great.

Just try to visually show the difference in TT styles. I can loop on everything but that does not tell anything. That’s the same for foils I guess. You don’t know how smooth a 633 is until you ridden one. That’s why they are so popular.

But you certainly need a better mounting option for the Moses masts. Maybe Stringy can pull one option together for you with his amazing milling capacity.
These users thanked the author knyfe for the post:
TritonFoils (Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:52 pm)

20kts
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Cherry Beach - Toronto
Style: Foil Freeride
Gear: Moses T22 / 633 Wing / 91 cm mast 12/9/7m Souls & 4m Peak 4
SKShapes bar

Postby 20kts » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:32 pm

Fun thread.

I have been a 633 rider for the last few years and have tried the T1 a few times now including an earlier prototype.
So full disclosure - yes I know the designers.

When you get to a certain level in foiling (by no means have I mastered it) you sometimes feel like you want a new challenge.

For a lot of things in our sport, there is a clear benefit - or "why" (shorter board, longer mast, lower aspect wing etc).
I think for the monowing - I think it is more about 'different' than 'better'.

Pros:
- a nice change from the usual “locked in feel” of existing foils - a bit more freedom of movement through the water
- you can just about rotate on the axis of your mast so turn radius can be much shorter
- new challenges of sorting out foot switches, tacks etc. ( I can see why some people would feel like this is a con and should be in the list below)
- less ‘stuff’ to buy, pack, assemble, maintain (many, many repairs to my stabilizer - hello rocks)

Cons
- Less stable - especially compared to the 633.
- So far I've found my foot position when starting is a bit further back than is optimal for riding so a bit of foot shuffling helps once up and going

I don't ride one, but wonder if there is a similar thread somewhere on monoskis.

For me, foiling among other things is a fun progression of new challenges.

Right now I think this is a second wing after you’ve figured out your first one and are looking for a different feel.
These users thanked the author 20kts for the post:
TritonFoils (Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:53 pm)

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster

Postby TritonFoils » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

It is interesting that most riders don't think twice about changing up kite size and type, board length, mast length but arguably the most important variable at all, the wing, is last, if ever, to be switched out. Why is this?

You are right to identify challenge as key part of the answer to tkaraszewski's question "why?" the T1 monowing.

If you are happy on your existing wing, rarely bored with its ride/feel/performance characteristics, that is awesome, and the T1 and monowinging are probably not for you.

But if you are someone who wants to tack, gybe, 360 in new ways, ride waves with different roll and pitch dynamics or just generally challenge yourself to master something new then the T1 is worth checking out.

Final point re: first and second wing. Our current testers, after a couple of sessions on the T1, are telling us it is increasingly a toss up as what setup they are bringing to the beach - e.g. mono or traditional foil?

That is pretty neat to hear.

Happy riding!

Rudyard @TritonFoils

Return to “Hydrofoil”