Re: Florida one kite for all winds?

Postby Soli » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:33 pm

Topaz wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:25 pm
Soli wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:19 pm
Topaz wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:22 pm
10.5 sounds like a good compromise, and sure a fun size kite.
I guess RRD kites are not very popular in US. Never saw too many listed for used sales.
Being in Fort Lauderdale, you're 2 hours away from Naples, on the west cost of Florida, so it's doable to drive and kite there for the day.

For used gear, check iKitesurf.com, eBay for on line purchases and CraigsList.com for local pick up stuff.
Assess the real condition of the kite is always a gamble, but since you save big bucks from buying used, it's worth the risk.
Be careful with scammers on iKitesurf.com. Check this thread to know how to be safe:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2403473&hilit=ikitesurf+scam
Hi once again :)
Wanted to ask you for your opinion:
I see you own a Cabrinha. What do you think about using a Cabrinha FX 12m. either with my Naish 11m bar or my RRD 8m bar?
I know it's not the ideal thing, but I have an amazing opportunity to buy an FX without its bar and wondering if they are compatible.
Many thanks for any insight :)
My signature is kind of old. I own some Cab boards now and a 2016 Cab bar (overdrive X1), but no Cab kites at the moment. Most of my kites now are North(Duotone) and a couple of older Naish kites.
I think you should be fine combining the Naish bar with an Fx. Your Naish bar has most likely all lines the same length. Check with the FX seller, an FX owner, or a Cab rep if the FX works on a regular all-lines-same-length bar. I don't see why it wouldn't. It's pretty much standard now, with rare exceptions.

The only problem you can find (easily fixable) is that the lines cannot be connected to the kite because there are loops in both ends. In that case, you would need to buy a set of pig tails with loops and knots. I saw they cost about $12 last time I needed them.

Are you in Fort Lauderdale yet? Have you checked the spots?
Thanks much for such useful info. It's extremely helpful. I'm arriving in Ft. Lauderdale on Dec. 6th and will be in town thru the 14th. Still working on figuring out spots and places that would rent the full gear. 321 seems perfect but they are 3 hours away by car. Not sure I can manage to have the time to get up there.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:03 pm

Do not rely on the Used gear market in Florida - you wont get a kite in time. Craigslist in Florida tends to be a frustrating experience and waste of time as people there do not take it seriously. Its not like NYC or SF where people talk about a product online, agree to meet at a specific time/place, and a deal happens. Instead most people simply waste your time on both the. Buy and Sell side.

An 8m/11m combo is probably your best bet (8m for Dec and 11m for May). SE Fl has two mini seasons with two different wind speed avgs.

I would suggest kites with extremely wide wind ranges and easy upwind ability such as the Duotone Rebel or Core XR. The most dominant kite model in S Fl has been the Cabrinha Switchblade but I feel the Duotone Rebel and Core XR beat it at this point. The FX is if you know and love wakestyle otherwise pointless.

Aside from lighter wind, FL typically has LESS dense air as its warm water/cold air. So the kites will pull softer in the same wind speed compared to a cold water/warmer air environment.

In 20mph wind in Miami I used to ride a 17m Blade Fat Lady. When I visited Cape Town in 2015, I had to drop all the way down to an 11m in the same 20mph wind speed but with extremely dense air. So be aware wind speed is not everything and you will need to power up more for the same wind speed.
These users thanked the author dracop for the post:
Soli (Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:24 pm

Soli wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:33 pm
Topaz wrote:
Soli wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:19 pm

Hi once again :)
Wanted to ask you for your opinion:
I see you own a Cabrinha. What do you think about using a Cabrinha FX 12m. either with my Naish 11m bar or my RRD 8m bar?
I know it's not the ideal thing, but I have an amazing opportunity to buy an FX without its bar and wondering if they are compatible.
Many thanks for any insight :)
My signature is kind of old. I own some Cab boards now and a 2016 Cab bar (overdrive X1), but no Cab kites at the moment. Most of my kites now are North(Duotone) and a couple of older Naish kites.
I think you should be fine combining the Naish bar with an Fx. Your Naish bar has most likely all lines the same length. Check with the FX seller, an FX owner, or a Cab rep if the FX works on a regular all-lines-same-length bar. I don't see why it wouldn't. It's pretty much standard now, with rare exceptions.

The only problem you can find (easily fixable) is that the lines cannot be connected to the kite because there are loops in both ends. In that case, you would need to buy a set of pig tails with loops and knots. I saw they cost about $12 last time I needed them.

Thanks much for such useful info. It's extremely helpful. I'm arriving in Ft. Lauderdale on Dec. 6th and will be in town thru the 14th. Still working on figuring out spots and places that would rent the full gear. 321 seems perfect but they are 3 hours away by car. Not sure I can manage to have the time to get up there.
Hey Soli, Call Sergio at Adventure Sports in Ft. Lauderdale and he will take care of you.
These users thanked the author Cab Driver for the post:
Soli (Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:08 am)

Soli
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 61 kg / 135 lbs
Local Beach: Huelva, Spain
Style: Beginner
Gear: Naish Pívot 11m
Roberto Ricci Design 8m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Soli » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:08 am

Cab Driver wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:24 pm
Soli wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:33 pm
Topaz wrote:

Hey Soli, Call Sergio at Adventure Sports in Ft. Lauderdale and he will take care of you.
I sure will! Thanks!

Soli
Medium Poster
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:23 am

RickI wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:05 pm
Those can be some of our better wind months, in a "normal" year. Normal years have been in short supply however so it is hard to form reliable generalities. At 136 lbs. in strong cold fronts, when we start to see those again, they are tardy right now, there will be times when you will want something smaller than an 11 or 12 m. Some days you may want a 7 m, even less in a rare really strong front. Going with an 8 and 11 m with a twin tip and/or surfboard sounds about right like back home. If you foil, you may want smaller still. Doing it all with one kite is tricky unfortunately. Lighter winds are more common than strong winds here, still they will come and at your weight you will want something smaller.
Thanks! I also think that 12m will be the best option for the average local winds during the months I usually visit S. Florida. I'm still trying to figure out what's the best combination of gear rental/spot in the Ft. Lauderdale area, maybe somewhat south or north. I see plenty of so called "Kiteboarding schools" announced online, but when you call, it's a kiter who offers lesson. Not having any reviews makes me back out.

Soli
Medium Poster
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:24 am

Topaz wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:26 pm
RickI wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:05 pm
Those can be some of our better wind months, in a "normal" year. Normal years have been in short supply however so it is hard to form reliable generalities. At 136 lbs. in strong cold fronts, when we start to see those again, they are tardy right now, there will be times when you will want something smaller than an 11 or 12 m. Some days you may want a 7 m, even less in a rare really strong front. Going with an 8 and 11 m with a twin tip and/or surfboard sounds about right like back home. If you foil, you may want smaller still. Doing it all with one kite is tricky unfortunately. Lighter winds are more common than strong winds here, still they will come and at your weight you will want something smaller.
Have you ever seen windless October like this one in South Florida? I hope November gets better than October, but so far not great. Hopefully next week we'll get some wind.
I can tell you that in Spain we're experiencing the exact same odd weather conditions. Zero wind for weeks and weeks. Not the usual weather.

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:09 pm

Sorry for you, but the wind doesn't look that great for next week either. It's been a really bad season in South Florida so far. Las October was the worst I've seen in 10+ years of kiting here. November wasn't good either, but not as bad as October. December doesn't look good so far. Hopefully will get better.
These users thanked the author Topaz for the post:
Soli (Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:18 pm)

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:20 pm

Yeah I see the title of this thread and think, duh, 17m
These users thanked the author Greenturtle for the post:
Soli (Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:18 pm)

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:52 am

So, I've been kiting in Tampa for over a decade and I'd say well over 50% of my sessions have been on a kite size of 14m or larger (and that's probably an underestimate). I am about 160lbs and typically ride a twin tip about 136. Yes, I agree with the previous comments...when it comes to a 1 kite quiver you want to get something with the best possible range and since we're in Fl go with something a little bigger. I have found the Rebel to have the widest range but try out a few at the local shops and see which one works best for you. As far as size, I'd go with a 12m. Hope this helps.
These users thanked the author lindseym for the post:
Soli (Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:19 pm)

Soli
Medium Poster
Roberto Ricci Design 8m

Postby Soli » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:16 pm

dracop wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:03 pm
Do not rely on the Used gear market in Florida - you wont get a kite in time. Craigslist in Florida tends to be a frustrating experience and waste of time as people there do not take it seriously. Its not like NYC or SF where people talk about a product online, agree to meet at a specific time/place, and a deal happens. Instead most people simply waste your time on both the. Buy and Sell side.

An 8m/11m combo is probably your best bet (8m for Dec and 11m for May). SE Fl has two mini seasons with two different wind speed avgs.

I would suggest kites with extremely wide wind ranges and easy upwind ability such as the Duotone Rebel or Core XR. The most dominant kite model in S Fl has been the Cabrinha Switchblade but I feel the Duotone Rebel and Core XR beat it at this point. The FX is if you know and love wakestyle otherwise pointless.

Aside from lighter wind, FL typically has LESS dense air as its warm water/cold air. So the kites will pull softer in the same wind speed compared to a cold water/warmer air environment.

In 20mph wind in Miami I used to ride a 17m Blade Fat Lady. When I visited Cape Town in 2015, I had to drop all the way down to an 11m in the same 20mph wind speed but with extremely dense air. So be aware wind speed is not everything and you will need to power up more for the same wind speed.
I apologize for no replying earlier, for some reason I have not seen your post until now (!).
Your insight is extremely helpful and useful. I was not aware of the air density issue. Just learned something new :D So thank you for that!
By now I sold my 11m and 8m and both 12m and 8m North Reach kites which cover all the wind range I can handle at this point, considering my level.
Thank you once again!

Return to “Kitesurfing”