Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 4 Size Recommendation

Forum for kitesurfers
User avatar
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2528
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 224 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4 Size Recommendation

Postby Flyboy » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:19 pm

My experience with range: I started using the Peaks in Cabarete. Used the 6m in light winds 10 knots to 14 & switched to the 4m in 14 to 18. I didn't feel comfortable with the 6m or the 4m when too powered up & didn't like the "flapping". This summer, locally, I have used the 6m almost exclusively because the winds have been unusually light. Because I have no 5m I would stick with the 6m up to 14/15 knots. I got used to being more powered up.

In the last couple of weeks I've been out on the 4m in winds around 20 knots - I'm now comfortable more powered up with the 4m because of my experience being powered up with the 6m. I don't find either of the kites flap much as I've become more experienced at sheeting & positioning them. A couple of days ago the wind started around 16-17 knots & gradually rose to 20 & finally close to 25 knots. Perfectly comfortable at 20 knots, uncomfortable once it started getting into the mid 20's. So for me, the range of the 4m on a foil is effectively 14 knots to around 22 knots. That's a pretty good range.

The other thing I noticed about the Peaks - after a couple of sessions back on my 3 strut wave kites - is how precise & agile the sheeting is. In comparison LEIs have this "spongey" feel - familiar from being on a SB - where you're constantly adjusting the sheeting to find the sweet spot. Hard to describe, but Peaks have a pull that is both more consistent & more sensitive to sheeting.

What's most impressive about the smaller Peaks - when you're decently powered up - is the way you can link together multiple turns on a wave or series of waves & the kite is always ready to follow you around with no noticeable pull & then give you the smallest boost of power when you need it.

User avatar
jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2141
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:36 pm
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 385 times
Been thanked: 690 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4 Size Recommendation

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:53 am

Short lines shrinks the window making it way easier to reduce flapping which in turn means substantially better top end. I like the 4m up to about 24 knots and the 3m all the way to 32. Gusts to 35 are no problem. Sustained 35 and your still safe but have to fly it high in the window and you can no longer bodydrag upwind very well.

Launching and landing in high wind is also much nicer on short lines.

watercamper
Medium Poster
Posts: 131
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:57 am
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 146
Local Beach: Gorge, lower Columbia river, Oregon coast, La Ventana (Rasta beach in El Sargento)
Style: Foil mostly, Surf, TT
Gear: SS 3,4,5,6,7,9m UFO
SS 4,5,6,7,8,9m SST
Flysurfer Peak4, 4, 5, 6: Peak5, 4
Naish Pivot 8,9m
LF Mission Control bars
OR click bar
SS Sentinel bar
Lift Classic 150, 95cm mast
Sabfoil 590/330, 101 cm mast
SS 2020 107cm micro Dwarf Craft board strapless, 11 liter
SS 2022 100 cm Dwarf Craft, strapless, 11 liter
4'10" Firewire Evo Helium
Cabrinha 137 n 141 Tronic
Mystic, Ion, O'Neill, Buell, Patagonia, Pro-Tec, Liros,
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4 Size Recommendation

Postby watercamper » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:04 am

I wonder if us foilers should list body weights and front wing size in our avatar:) Would make it easier don't you think when talking wind range? (This is a joke BTW - Friday afternoon beer humor!) I appreciate all input!!!

User avatar
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2528
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 224 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4 Size Recommendation

Postby Flyboy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:34 am

watercamper wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:04 am
I wonder if us foilers should list body weights and front wing size in our avatar:) Would make it easier don't you think when talking wind range? (This is a joke BTW - Friday afternoon beer humor!) I appreciate all input!!!
80 KG +-. 1000 cm2 front wing.

User avatar
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2528
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 224 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4 Size Recommendation

Postby Flyboy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:35 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:53 am
Short lines shrinks the window making it way easier to reduce flapping which in turn means substantially better top end. I like the 4m up to about 24 knots and the 3m all the way to 32. Gusts to 35 are no problem. Sustained 35 and your still safe but have to fly it high in the window and you can no longer bodydrag upwind very well.

Launching and landing in high wind is also much nicer on short lines.
I'm going to order a set of 14m lines.

bkkite
Frequent Poster
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:45 pm
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay (Long Island)
Favorite Beaches: Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 7/9/12/15. Nobile NHP and Nobile split surf / foil board. Slingshot hover glide foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4 Size Recommendation

Postby bkkite » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:21 pm

jkrug wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:07 pm
in other words, the peaks are great kites, but each has a very small range. 11-20 for me is 8M Peak, followed by 6M Peak, followed by 6M Uno (in stronger winds i still prefer LEIs for relaunch). I'm 90kg.

I'm 99kg riding a 11120cm slingshot Apollo 60 wing, and on light wind days like 10kts to 15kts I'm riding a 12m single strut Core Xlite. I'm wondering if I could replace that with a peak to make it easier to travel with, and what size I would need. Sounds like 8m or bigger?

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:42 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 233 times
Contact:

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4 Size Recommendation

Postby drsurf » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:09 pm

bkkite wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:21 pm
jkrug wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:07 pm
in other words, the peaks are great kites, but each has a very small range. 11-20 for me is 8M Peak, followed by 6M Peak, followed by 6M Uno (in stronger winds i still prefer LEIs for relaunch). I'm 90kg.

I'm 99kg riding a 11120cm slingshot Apollo 60 wing, and on light wind days like 10kts to 15kts I'm riding a 12m single strut Core Xlite. I'm wondering if I could replace that with a peak to make it easier to travel with, and what size I would need. Sounds like 8m or bigger?
Hi bkkite.
I'd try an 8m Peak to start with as it should definitely fill in the lighter end of your 10-15 knot range. However if you get to try a 6m Peak you will be surprised how good it is and how much fun when the wind hits 12 knots.
The Peak kites, especially the Peak5 models, are surprisingly powerful for their size on a foil. The 8m Peak would be approximately equivalent to a 12m LEI kite and much easier to fly in lighter wind.

Be careful, once you've tried a Peak on a foil, LEI kites will feel heavy and dead by comparison. And the drift when riding downwind on the smallest wave/chop... fantastic :D

bkkite
Frequent Poster
Posts: 445
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:45 pm
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay (Long Island)
Favorite Beaches: Kalpitiya, Sri Lanka
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 7/9/12/15. Nobile NHP and Nobile split surf / foil board. Slingshot hover glide foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4 Size Recommendation

Postby bkkite » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:24 pm

drsurf wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:09 pm
bkkite wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:21 pm
jkrug wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:07 pm
in other words, the peaks are great kites, but each has a very small range. 11-20 for me is 8M Peak, followed by 6M Peak, followed by 6M Uno (in stronger winds i still prefer LEIs for relaunch). I'm 90kg.

I'm 99kg riding a 11120cm slingshot Apollo 60 wing, and on light wind days like 10kts to 15kts I'm riding a 12m single strut Core Xlite. I'm wondering if I could replace that with a peak to make it easier to travel with, and what size I would need. Sounds like 8m or bigger?
Hi bkkite.
I'd try an 8m Peak to start with as it should definitely fill in the lighter end of your 10-15 knot range. However if you get to try a 6m Peak you will be surprised how good it is and how much fun when the wind hits 12 knots.
The Peak kites, especially the Peak5 models, are surprisingly powerful for their size on a foil. The 8m Peak would be approximately equivalent to a 12m LEI kite and much easier to fly in lighter wind.

Be careful, once you've tried a Peak on a foil, LEI kites will feel heavy and dead by comparison. And the drift when riding downwind on the smallest wave/chop... fantastic :D
Thanks, appreciate the tips. I think I read itll work with any 4 line bar? Will it work with a core bar, which has a high "Y"?

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 11867
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 688 times
Been thanked: 870 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4 Size Recommendation

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:30 pm

Yes

Brvfr1
Rare Poster
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:44 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Florianópolis
Gear: Armstrong H925
North Neo 9 & 12
Best Cabo 8
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4 Size Recommendation

Postby Brvfr1 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:01 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:34 am
watercamper wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:04 am
I wonder if us foilers should list body weights and front wing size in our avatar:) Would make it easier don't you think when talking wind range? (This is a joke BTW - Friday afternoon beer humor!) I appreciate all input!!!
80 KG +-. 1000 cm2 front wing.
Hi, regarding Peak size. I am also at 80 kg, 5+ years kite foiling, recently changed my old Cabrinha Double Agent to Armie (HA925 + V200).. Armie foil will arrive in January. I have a 39L 4'4" board for kiting and prone surf foiling.. wind in my location is 10-20 knots in +80% of the time. I normally do kite foiling with 8m or 9m. 9m or 12m on kitewave sessions.

Which Peak size do you recommend me? Peak or Hybrid?
tks


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aleza, Bing [Bot], Gerwinnaar, Kemperman, Peter_Frank and 6 guests