Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lightest and best 3 strut kite for freestyle foiling?

Forum for kitesurfers
rnelias
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: F-One Bandit 12m, Duotone Rebe 9m, Dice 7m, Alpha 8m, Soul 12/15m, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD 2019, Mystic Majestic
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Lightest and best 3 strut kite for foiling?

Postby rnelias » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:03 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:56 am
addictedtofoil wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:34 am

What does the Ocean rodeo aluula Roam jump like?
I am no expert on jumping with the roam since I ride strapless.
However, it’s got a low aspect ratio so it won’t give you lots of hangtime like an XR/Rebel/Edge. The problem is that you want a lot of drift for foiling and drift and hangtime are opposite design goals.
That doesn’t mean it won’t jump high, it’s probably quite good with the right technique because the kite flies so quick and speed equals power.

Probably best jumping tube kite on a foil will be the new aluula Rise when that is available (5 strut but it’s probably going to be 3 strut weight)
The aluula flite that is available already might also offer good hangtime but they only come in 12m and up which is ultra low wind territory on a foil.
Duotone DLAB (aluula) Juice might also be good but significantly heavier then the flite and only in 13m and 15m which discounts it for foiling imho.

Alternatively if your goal is mostly hangtime on a hydrofoil you should look at getting a foil kite. That’s really the best option if you can live with the drawbacks of foil kites.
drift and hangtime = foil kites :D maybe a Soul 10m would cover both requirements ;)

Aluula 5-struct kite will probably cost a fortune due to more of the "gold material" on the construction.

addictedtofoil
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: queenscliff
Gear: Ozone foil kites
SABFoil/Moses hydrofoils
Wings: F-one Stike, Ensis

Postby addictedtofoil » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:07 pm

rnelias wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:03 pm
leeuwen wrote:
addictedtofoil wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:34 am

What does the Ocean rodeo aluula Roam jump like?
However, it’s got a low aspect ratio so it won’t give you lots of hangtime like an XR/Rebel/Edge. The problem is that you want a lot of drift for foiling and drift and hangtime are opposite design goals.
That doesn’t mean it won’t jump high, it’s probably quite good with the right technique because the kite flies so quick and speed equals power.

Probably best jumping tube kite on a foil will be the new aluula Rise when that is available (5 strut but it’s probably going to be 3 strut weight)
The aluula flite that is available already might also offer good hangtime but they only come in 12m and up which is ultra low wind territory on a foil.
Duotone DLAB (aluula) Juice might also be good but significantly heavier then the flite and only in 13m and 15m which discounts it for foiling imho.

Alternatively if your goal is mostly hangtime on a hydrofoil you should look at getting a foil kite. That’s really the best option if you can live with the drawbacks of foil kites.
drift and hangtime = foil kites :D maybe a Soul 10m would cover both requirements ;)

Aluula 5-struct kite will probably cost a fortune due to more of the "gold material" on the construction.
I've tried a Soul 2 10m, not good for foiling above 15 knots, too much pull for my liking

addictedtofoil
Medium Poster
Local Beach: queenscliff
Gear: Ozone foil kites
SABFoil/Moses hydrofoils
Wings: F-one Stike, Ensis

Re: Lightest and best 3 strut kite for freestyle foiling?

Postby addictedtofoil » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:08 pm

How much does the Core Nexus 10m or 8m weigh?

rnelias
Frequent Poster
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Gear: F-One Bandit 12m, Duotone Rebe 9m, Dice 7m, Alpha 8m, Soul 12/15m, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD 2019, Mystic Majestic

Postby rnelias » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:31 pm

addictedtofoil wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:07 pm
I've tried a Soul 2 10m, not good for foiling above 15 knots, too much pull for my liking
I understand you very well... I'm not jumping on foil yet and my loyal kite to progress has been an Alpha v1 8m. I use this kite all the time and it helped me a lot in the learning process. It gave me confidence to ride even on the lightest wind days we have here on our local spot. I also got a Soul 12m but thought it too slow and strong for my liking too. I've kept the Soul 12m in the hope it will help me on tacks and got a Soul 8m to give a second chance to foil kites. It has not arrived yet and can't give you an opinion. Maybe this 8m will be better on speed and pull for the range I have here.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:02 am

addictedtofoil wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:33 am
Ozone Enduro v3 10m is 2.7kg - I assume this is kite only
https://ozonekites.com/images/uploads/p ... 3-Info.pdf

It's crazy why other brands don't publish weight.

I use a Chrono v4 11m under 15 knots, so for the 15-20ish knot range
When I got my 10m Ozone Enduro V2 in November 2017 it weighed 2.70kg

andrzej351
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee
Favorite Beaches: Slufter, Jastarnia,
Style: Free ride, Big Air
Gear: Naish Pivot, Naish Monarch

Postby andrzej351 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:00 pm

addictedtofoil wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:07 pm
rnelias wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:03 pm
leeuwen wrote:

I have a Falcon 11m kauper. I have the best fun and high jumps in the wind of 13-18kts. :naughty:

balticswell
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby balticswell » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:19 pm

Da Yoda wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:20 am
Check out the new Airush Session. Lightweight but doesn’t break the bank like Aluula or SLS kites. If you can find one, the Mutiny S-Series was really lightweight for a 3-strut kite.
+1

rnelias
Frequent Poster
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ

Postby rnelias » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:21 pm

andrzej351 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:00 pm
I have a Falcon 11m kauper. I have the best fun and high jumps in the wind of 13-18kts. :naughty:
What pressure do you put on the Falcon? 10 psi?

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:52 am

Just like you, OP, I was curious about the most ideal foil freestyle kite. Posted similar questions on this forum as well. Haven't found the answer until now.

It's Duotone Dice.

For three years, I've been foiling on BRM Clouds and thought they're the freestyle kite. You can boost (kind of), do loops, air transitions, backrolls, backroll kiteloops, stalled loops, jungle tacks, rodeos, hand drags, jesus walks and other things on them. They're amazing in waves. Probably the best wave kite for foiling out there. Now, as the Clouds are starting to show wear I began to see their weak sides. The canopy stretches quite a bit from looping and causes the kite to be lopsided. Also, there are lots of kite inversions when you really push the loop. Once a strutless Cloud inverts you gotta go back to the beach. I started to think Clouds are just not made to last with lots of loops. Last but not least, there's absolutely no hang time once you're in the air, so you don't have much time to do tricks.

I started testing a lot of different kites. Alulla Roam, Core Xlite, Airrush Ultra (somewhat slow and heavy), Core XR7 (great air, bad drift), Drifter (ok drifting, but loops seemed kind of dead), Neo (too grunty and heavy), Rebel (too slow and its loops will kill you), Switchblade (similar to Rebel), Best Cabo (similar to Drifter), etc. The Roam and Xlite perform well, but they're not kites made for air (even though small loops are buttery on both). I kept trying the Alulla Roam because it seemed like it should work well. It's a great do-everything kite, and it can probably replace Clouds in flat water, but unfortunately, it just wasn't sparking for freestyle.

Then a friend suggested trying the Dice. I also saw a local kitefoiler do cool stuff on the Dice. Tried it and after four sessions absolutely fell in love with this kite. It's just amazing for loops, air and it drifts surprisingly well. The 7m 2021 Dice I got may drift on par, if not better than Cabrinha Drifter. Sheeting out the Dice in the air shuts off the power, allowing you to use your body more when doing tricks. Flips, spins, etc. That last thing completely changed foil freestyle for me. With Dice, freestyling on foil starts to look and feel similar to twintip freestyle. You can unhook on it as well, of course. The newly released 20022 SLS Dice may be even better.

I suggest you try the Dice.

mede
Frequent Poster
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Sri Lanka West Coast
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi
Style: Strapless surfing, Big Air
Gear: Tomo Vader 5.1 HE, Gong Curve & Fluid, Kauper Falcon 11m, Blade Trigger 5m & 8m & 10m, Storm Voyager 13m
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:52 pm

+1 for the Kauper Falcon 11m
Of course it's not a 3 strut, but a foil kite :naughty: but after having gone through the learning curve of taking up foiling with my blade triggers (which I adore for wave riding and jumping) ,
I must confirm the old saying 'always get the right tools for the job at hand'
I was reluctant to get a foil kite a long time,given how they used to fly.
Got the Falcon, felt immediately comfortable with it, and progressed more with my foiling in one weekend than in three months before with the triggers.

Awsome kite 👍👍👍
rnelias wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:21 pm
andrzej351 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:00 pm
What pressure do you put on the Falcon? 10 psi?
No need to pump 😉

Return to “Kitesurfing”