Worthing
Goring
Gear: Pivot
Asylum
Mixer
Brand Affiliation: None

Airush Session or F-one Bandit-s, or stick with my Pivots

Postby Rob112 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:43 pm

I currently have Pivots and feeling the itch for new kites. Help me justify a change of kites (and reason for doing to to myself and more importantly the Mrs)

Increasing I'm riding strapless and foil, with fewer days on the TT each season.

Have had bandits before (pre Bandit-S) and liked them so now the bandit-s is more surf focused should be great.

Also heard good things about the Airush Session. I learnt on Lithium's, have an AMP and generally like the brand. Not many reviews around though.

They look fairly similar to me (feel free to tell me they're completely different shapes and therefore behave completely different if I'm off course).

Anyone have experience of either, or preferably both to give some insight?

Might keep my pivots for TT days and boosting, but might be to similar being an all-round kite, so might get something specific for the boosting days.

Cheers for any insight or option.

Rob

Dingus
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: What’s not broken
Has thanked: 0

Re: Airush Session or F-one Bandit-s, or stick with my Pivots

Postby Dingus » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:41 am

Never flown a bandit.

Used 2019 pivots and airush waves.

IMO 2019(@74kg)10m pivot has a similar bottom end to 2019 12m wave, around 12knts. Prefer the shorter depower stroke on wave, and it drifts a few knots earlier. Pivot needs to be flown a more actively. If light winds the goal consider some single strut options. I wave ride and drift a 12m ultra on a surfboard from 12knts. Bottom end is 9 or 10knts. For me the Ultra is great in the light stuff but a flappy mess when wind starts gusting 16knots+.

Seen others successfully wave riding and foiling all 3 (pivot, bandit and wave)

I’m keen to try the new session, but not in any hurry to buy as there is talk of airush starting to use hookipa as a Dacron replacement. waiting to see the pricing and what kite models airush release in hookipa.
These users thanked the author Dingus for the post:
Rob112 (Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:57 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:57 am

You consider a peak 4 and keep the pivots
These users thanked the author vakiter for the post:
Rob112 (Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:58 pm)

Rob112
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hove
Lancing
Shoreham
Worthing
Goring
Asylum
Mixer

Postby Rob112 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:54 pm

Dingus wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:41 am
Never flown a bandit.

Used 2019 pivots and airush waves.

IMO 2019(@74kg)10m pivot has a similar bottom end to 2019 12m wave, around 12knts. Prefer the shorter depower stroke on wave, and it drifts a few knots earlier. Pivot needs to be flown a more actively. If light winds the goal consider some single strut options. I wave ride and drift a 12m ultra on a surfboard from 12knts. Bottom end is 9 or 10knts. For me the Ultra is great in the light stuff but a flappy mess when wind starts gusting 16knots+.

Seen others successfully wave riding and foiling all 3 (pivot, bandit and wave)

I’m keen to try the new session, but not in any hurry to buy as there is talk of airush starting to use hookipa as a Dacron replacement. waiting to see the pricing and what kite models airush release in hookipa.
Yes, I'd seen Airush have started to use a new material on a team edition of Ultra. Will be interesting to see that come to the session.

Rob112
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hove
Lancing
Shoreham
Worthing
Goring
Asylum
Mixer

Postby Rob112 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:59 pm

vakiter wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:57 am
You consider a peak 4 and keep the pivots
Always been on LEI kites, perhaps now's the time to broaden my horizons and look at foil kites...

daspi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lynn - Nahant Long Beach, Revere Beach, Dog Beach
Favorite Beaches: The beach I can get to within 10-15 minutes
Gear: Neo 9/7m, Eleveight FS 12m, 9m and Core XR5 7m, Core Section 8,10,12m
and lots of other junk kites in the shed
Cabrinha Custom, Duotone Jamie Textreme
Surfboards: F-ONE Mitu 5'6", Tomo Vader, Kiteloose Nirvana, Cabrinha Skillit
Foil: F-ONE Pocket with Cloud 9 mast and wing

Postby daspi » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:14 pm

Rode the 9m Bandit S just last week. Nice kite. I ride 90% strapless surfboard these days on Core Section as my go to kites.

So now to the Bandit S. Nice kite, period. Would not mind at all owning a quiver. Certainly less of a progression when sending the kite through the wind window than the Pivot. A Pivot will pull more on the low end but won't turn off as nicely, nor drift as well as a dedicated wave kite. Dedicated wave kites are in general also very nice on a foil. The next best option beside dedicated foil kites. I love my Section 10m for foiling in 9-18mph wind. I would say the Bandit S will serve you very well on a foil too. It will cross over to a twin tip just fine as well. Just less grunt, less bar pressure than what you know from the older Bandits.
These users thanked the author daspi for the post:
Rob112 (Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:24 am)

elmarco
Medium Poster

Postby elmarco » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:51 pm

Rob112 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:43 pm
I currently have Pivots and feeling the itch for new kites. Help me justify a change of kites (and reason for doing to to myself and more importantly the Mrs)

Increasing I'm riding strapless and foil, with fewer days on the TT each season.

Have had bandits before (pre Bandit-S) and liked them so now the bandit-s is more surf focused should be great.

Also heard good things about the Airush Session. I learnt on Lithium's, have an AMP and generally like the brand. Not many reviews around though.

They look fairly similar to me (feel free to tell me they're completely different shapes and therefore behave completely different if I'm off course).

Might keep my pivots for TT days and boosting, but might be to similar being an all-round kite, so might get something specific for the boosting days.

Rob
I've ridden 9,10 & 12 Airush session. Great kites. fast for size, easy ride, drifts well, pull the trigger boosts, above average re-launch.
Anyone I've talked to coming off the water on a session has nothing but good things to say.
I think they really nailed it with the session for a great wave kite but also happens to be a great all-arounder as a bonus that you can boost on, foil, or even learn on. Also a great kite to learn loops on as its very fast and forgiving, but still gives you a short burst of a pull to give you the joy of looping.
These users thanked the author elmarco for the post:
Rob112 (Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:24 am)

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:46 pm

Just switched from Core XR6 to Pivot 8m and Reeding Supermodel 10 & 12m to improve my foiling
😂 tell me I should be getting something else

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:21 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:46 pm
Just switched from Core XR6 to Pivot 8m and Reeding Supermodel 10 & 12m to improve my foiling
😂 tell me I should be getting something else
Depends on the winds you have and what you want to do with your foil and if you still want to use it on a twintip.
There are lots of kites made for foiling/wave riding with a lower aspect and/or lower weight out there that generally are a better allround foiling experience due to better drift and very on-off power delivery (but might be less of a match on a twintip)

How important that is depends on what you want to do on a hydrofoil.
Boosting with a foil in medium winds a pivot is fine.
However if you noticed horrible things with eg slack lines or getting yanked of your board due to power spikes: a lightweight kite made for drifting really makes it a lot more forgiving / easier.
eg riding waves / free riding / riding strapless or in sub 12 knots

So just like with a twintip: it depends on what you want to do.
Racing: get a big foil kite with short lines
Wave riding only: a peak
A little of everything: a low aspect (wave) kite / one strut / no strut
Doing silly things with the kite: a peak or no strut like the ufo/cloud
Boosting high: depends a bit on the conditions and how much you are willing to compromise to get loftier jumps. Could be foil-kite or regular tube higher aspect kite. (Most kites except peak will jump just not as floaty)

The best overal kite for only foiling IMHO is the Ocean Rodeo aluula Roam but it comes at a high price.

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:41 pm

elmarco wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:51 pm
Rob112 wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:43 pm

Rob
I've ridden 9,10 & 12 Airush session. Great kites. fast for size, easy ride, drifts well, pull the trigger boosts, above average re-launch.
Anyone I've talked to coming off the water on a session has nothing but good things to say.
I think they really nailed it with the session for a great wave kite but also happens to be a great all-arounder as a bonus that you can boost on, foil, or even learn on. Also a great kite to learn loops on as its very fast and forgiving, but still gives you a short burst of a pull to give you the joy of looping.
Do you know if is there a lot of difference between the new AR Session s and the old Wave s
I love my wave 9 and 7 but didn t like my 12 wave.

Return to “Kitesurfing”