Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ride engine new spreader bar system - opinions?

Forum for kitesurfers
wrogu
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Ride engine new spreader bar system - opinions?

Postby wrogu » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:02 pm

Hey,

has anyone used new Ride engine harness. How is their new spreader bar locking system performing? I am not a big fan of ratchet system in straps and their spreader bar locking system looks the most similar to a ratchet one to me.
Any long time durability opinions?

Regards,
Michal

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Re: Ride engine new spreader bar system - opinions?

Postby andylc » Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:08 pm

I have had it for about 4-5 months. All positive. Really comfortable harness, precise fitting so once you find where you want it, it does up exactly the same every time. The ratchet system seems very sturdy and I can't see any reason for it to fail.

The spreader bar sits very firmly and doesn't ride up at all. Expensive harness but I have no regrets, big upgrade from my last harness. Pretty much ideal for me - that is to say that once I am out riding I hardly notice that it is there.

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:36 pm

Cool, thanks for info.
I have a RE from 2017 I think and overall I have very happy with it. Considering my options. I have tried mystic X and ion (18 hadlow). Out of the two I find mystic more comftable for me and I like IONs build better ... meh.
So far that ratchet thing put me away but I might reconsider it :)

Looking forward to reading more opinions.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:56 pm

It doesn’t appear to be an actual ratchet? There are the two cams on either side of the bar but the side closures look like they just slide/lock but don’t ratchet?

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:03 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:56 pm
It doesn’t appear to be an actual ratchet? There are the two cams on either side of the bar but the side closures look like they just slide/lock but don’t ratchet?
That is possible. It is hard to tell from the net/presentation, no local shop having those around my place too ...
Makes me wonder how it works actually.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:10 pm

It’s not strictly speaking a ratchet ie you can’t adjust it on the fly like a snowboard binding. However the inside of the strap has the same triangular serrations that ratchet straps use, so it adjusts by small precise increments. There are markings on the outside so you can return to a known setting eg if you have two different thicknesses of wetsuit.
The strap is clamped in place by an outer lever, which is pretty stiff so there is little / no chance of any accidental opening. Then the spreader bar system clamps to the ends of the side straps, there are 3 different sizes of spreader bar as well as different sizes of harness so loads of options to get the perfect fit.
These users thanked the author andylc for the post:
knotwindy (Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:12 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:18 am

wrogu wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:03 pm
That is possible. It is hard to tell from the net/presentation, no local shop having those around my place too ...
Makes me wonder how it works actually.
Ride Engine's Unity spreader bar uses ladder locking straps with locks on the sides to replace traditional webbing straps and ladder lock buckles. There's NO ratcheting mechanism. To tighten or unhook the harness, there's a cam-action clamp on both sides of the sides of the spreader bar. What's great about this design is the spreader bar attachment is ambidextrous and also allows the spreader bar to be fully released and changed out in seconds (no more unthreading webbing). You can switch from a hook to a rope spreader in seconds. :thumb:
Did you see this?

Ianw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK - South Coast
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR8, Lieuwe Falcon & Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None - Cost me a fortune!!!
Has thanked: 0

Postby Ianw » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:44 am

wrogu wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:02 pm
Hey,

has anyone used new Ride engine harness. How is their new spreader bar locking system performing? I am not a big fan of ratchet system in straps and their spreader bar locking system looks the most similar to a ratchet one to me.
Any long time durability opinions?

Regards,
Michal
I've had my harness with the unity system for 5 months now and my experience is the same as Andylc. The bar's locking system is good no sign of deterioration. It's also encouraging to see RE have not changed the system for 2022 so they appear to have proven the robustness of system. I find because I'm not compensating for the stretch in the straps when they get wet I can maintain a constant/better balance & stance position on my TT for all sessions. IMO all waist harnesses ride up however again because there is no stretch the distance is less and it's more manageable when you nudge it down.

peppedurso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sicily / Cape Town
Style: Wave Riding and Freestyle Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters
Appletree Malus Domestica 4'11 / Luke's Leaf 4'9 / Appleflap noseless 5'1
Brand Affiliation: Appletree/Cabrinha

Postby peppedurso » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:15 pm

Best harness ever! I've used it in the last 3 months, never rides up, rock solid, super smart system. I am size S (80cm waist) and I am super happy with a XS harness and a 12'' unity bar.
I've seen a new model is coming out, the Lyte, with not water absorbing material, very interesting.
Also check out new Manera Halo, very interesting modular system. I've seen it here viewtopic.php?f=200&t=2411154

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Wed May 25, 2022 10:56 am

There is a french kitesurf group on Facebook (One Launch Kiteboarding) where many users have had issues with the new system.
One of the many photos of what happened to te riders :
After opening/closing the harness, it creates a smal crack that quickly enlarge.
I was very interested in this harness, but regarding the number of riders that had the problem, I may choose another brand.

Did you have the same experience ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”