Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Freeride , and Wave kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why sheeting in reduce power?

Postby 1234567Simon » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:44 am

Newer saw anybody make the frontlines longer, to decrease power🤪🤪🤪.

actually it is super simple, (Tube Kite, under normal conditions, kite trimmed like it should be, a normal tube under normal conditions will not frontstall, and does not backstall)

Let go of the bar = frontlines relatively shorter = less power
Pull the bar to the body = frontlines relatively longer = more power

If you want to ride upwind, it is better to let the kite fly to the edge off the wind window. So let go of the bar a little. Edge the board a little and go upwind.

Toppics like how to speed up the kite to generate power, how to Sinus the kite most effective, loss of power while backstalling, all this is not helpfull for someone who get‘s confused, if you tell him to sheet out.

And yes…. In too light wind, if you Sinus the kite to generate power, you MUST sheet out to generate speed to get power…. But that was not the question.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil Kai/Iwa
GK Trix
FS Peak4
HB Legion
Ypsilon
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast

Postby bragnouff » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:33 am

1234567Simon wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:44 am
all this is not helpfull for someone who get‘s confused, if you tell him to sheet out.
You're kind of right, but if you don't explain what sheeting in and out actually does in terms of AOA on the kite, and what happens beyond the sweet spot of trim, then you'll get a clueless kiter as a result. And you'll get someone who ends up oversheeting his kite when seeking more power, with detrimental results, and potentially dangerous situations. As much as you don't want a beginner with kite at 12 downwind of you, you don't want anyone upwind of you backstalling his kite onto you...
Don't take for granted that the bar will be all perfectly trimmed for your new kite out of the box... If you understand what things do, then you're better prepared to set it up right in any situation.
If it's too confusing for someone, maybe that person should take up an other sport that doesn't require brain cells. There are many other aspects in this sport where the right decisions are critical. No brain, no gain!
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
Faxie (Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:20 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:16 pm

Basically sheet out/ let go the bar = no power
Sheet in= power

With my wave kite sheet in= power
A lot of sheet in and very close to stall= power shutdown ( in can down loop, turn in a dime , pivot the kite in the spot , love it) and when i let go breath and back to power

Not all the kites are the same , i remember my rebels
Sheet in = power
More sheet in = fly to the moon

sergei Scotland
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha 2014 9m
Blade Trigger 2016 10m

Postby sergei Scotland » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:29 pm

AndersP wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:21 pm
Faxie
(as with the 'depower>edge of the window btw...try it in a stationary position in stable wind and see for yourself)

If you let the kite fly at a negative angle it will no longer drive forwards and will fall back in the window until it get a positive angle again. With lei kites it's usually not a big problem but with fast race kites that overfly you it can be a disaster.
This seems to be the case, Absolutely. I mean sheeting in a bit and waiting a bit moves kite to the edge of the window
No doubt about it :o
Obviously the same is True when moving, just that apparent wind kite sees is coming from different direction. Interestinly this means that at a stable point kites angle to the wind airflow is amost (!) the same sheeted in or out. I mean kite finds a new position where there is no forward or backward aerodynamic force component moving it to the edge or back. Obviously lines cant move the kite forward or back in the window.
So it is all about aerodynamic force. And we can ignore the board movement if we only think about what kite sees. We can account for the change in apparent wind direction and speed later.
Interesting. :D :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
What is not obvious in this picture is what is the nature of the aerodynamic force pushing the kite forward (!) in the window?
Usually with a wing they consider Lift force and drag with total force up and back a bit.
So you need an engine to pull an air plane forward. Obviously a kite does not have this luxury :lol: :lol: :wink:
My guess is that Lift direction is such that there is a forward component in it all the time. And it gets bigger at the moment I sheet in.
This is very similar to how a sailboat moves forward, I guess.
You sheet in - the boat moves forward faster. Obviously there is forward component of the lift force

Return to “Kitesurfing”