Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

(test) Sky Country Spirit v2

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: (test) Sky Country Spirit v2

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:13 am

I tried it last week end in 15 to 20 knots on a TT board and 23 m lines. Not light wind... :-). 20 knots is its sweetspot for my taste on a TT board.

At launching, you need to tension rear lines kranckly to complete its filling of air, similar to f-one Halo.

Liked it a lot as well on a TT. a lot of power with boost... Still really stable, upwind is good ! Jumps have not as much hang time as Elf jocker 5 or sonic2, but better or "easier" than halo I have found.

My jump heights were irregular. Sometimes high for my level, sometimes low. Maybe 23m is too long to get tolerance on timing, or at least i need to improve my understanding of its timing . When timing was right, height was excellent (better than FRS), maybe a bit lower than Halo , and hang time and smooth landing was easier than with the Halo. I need to tune my timing to be more sure of spirit's jump abilities. One or 2 jumps were very high for my level. I think that more depower would have helped to prepare my jump with those quite long lines.

Bar pressure is medium, between the lower pressure of f-one halo and higher pressure of Koala. The Sky Country agent says that it has a bit less bar pressure than Soul but I do not know the Soul in those medium winds. Approx similar to FR:S and pulsion overall.

Depower is efficient and instantaneous. Between the excellent depower of FRs and the more limited depower of the Pulsion. Far better than the "old" pansh A15.

It turns well, long or short loop, with less latence than Pulsion (which is great but need 1 second anticipation) , similar to the excellent halo and FRs, except at the second half of the loop which get a larger radius if lines have lower tension. I sometimes needed to pull the bar more in this second part if I need a complete short loop. however loop with slack line is 1000 times better than Pansh A15 and better than Pulsion "S".

Very good stability , less wing tip folding and backstall than the Halo, almost similar as the incredible stable pulsion.

I think that high end is similar to Halo, so in-between the very high end of FRs and the limited high end of Pulsion.

Really happy and very "living" kite.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:45 pm

new ride today, first ride in hydrofoil, 12 then 8 knots ; between these to extreme I have always feel it is in its sweet spot.

I really love this kite ; first one that has the perfect balance between fun/ "heart" and plug-and-play / easiness. Jump on the foil was excellent, I was reaching easily the height I like for my overall level without fear and very easy and smooth landing ; kite turning very well and I did easily what I like to do (transitions, pivot jibe, 360's, backroll, kite loop back roll, 180 upwind that I had succeeded only once before);

Ride limited by 45 minutes before sunshine, and I was very frustrated to stop for safety reasons...
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
a99 (Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:59 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:02 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:45 pm
new ride today, first ride in hydrofoil, 12 then 8 knots ; between these to extreme I have always feel it is in its sweet spot.
Was easy to start on 8 knots? Do you feel that it has more lowed for foiling or foiling start? Maybe you can measure flat span lenght? Would be interesting to compare with Peak flat size of 8 or 4m. Than we can more understand difference concept.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:59 pm

a99, I think it would be a much better idea that you just bought some kites and rode these - they are all low cost, and you ask for comparisons noone can answer !!!

We still share our experiences, but you will never get a full answer, till you have experienced yourself over a long long time.

Nobody except yourself are able to compare all these questions - it reminds a bit about all the "what is the best kite" threads, inexperienced kiters write again and again - and (of course) they never get a useful answer.

It is not simply physics, nor is it numbers (being an engineer having calculated and designed many sailplanes I know all about numbers, and when NOT to use them) as they dont say anything about how a kite feels and works, not even regarding low and upper end.

You gotta ride to find out, not in doubt :naughty:

And even better, when you HAVE bought the kite(s), you will probably stop asking questions, and go surf and be happy instead :rollgrin:
To some extent serious and not teasing :lol:

I just browsed through a load of your posts - but I found noone where you write about which foils and kites you ride, or shared experiences with us?
They are maybe present, but not obvious for readers, lately, and you have kited for 9 years it seems (kite hydrofoil has existed for even longer).
Could you clarify your own gear and how it works, to the forum, as really difficult to understand what you seek, without knowing your hydrofoil level and kite and foilkite history and experience, and how you ride, which type of styles?

Just trying to help you :thumb:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
a99 (Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:05 am)

geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Postby geron » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:49 pm

A99, are you asking about the Spirit v2 or the Hysper v2?

a99
Very Frequent Poster

Postby a99 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:08 am

geron wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:49 pm
A99, are you asking about the Spirit v2 or the Hysper v2?
About Hysper. Sorry somehow wrote not to Hysper topic but Spirit.

a99
Very Frequent Poster

Postby a99 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:44 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:59 pm
I just browsed through a load of your posts - but I found noone where you write about which foils and kites you ride, or shared experiences with us?
They are maybe present, but not obvious for readers, lately, and you have kited for 9 years it seems (kite hydrofoil has existed for even longer).
Could you clarify your own gear and how it works, to the forum, as really difficult to understand what you seek, without knowing your hydrofoil level and kite and foilkite history and experience, and how you ride, which type of styles?
8) Peter
Hi Peter, my gear and region is written in my profile, kiting from 2013, foiling already 4 year, foil gear Moses mainly 633 and also race wing but it use rare, very love use LEI kites, had double skin FS but feels very laggy comparing with LEI and much more complicated, don't have attraction at all to windsurfing and wing foiling, as don't like to have something hard in hands and have half wall before eyes, like to feel freedom which gives only kite (except of course downwind with wing), plus i like view of flying kite always very much. Foiling half in lakes and half in sea, in lakes as i see from practice usually winds are weak 7-11 knots usually, and of course a some days when 10-16 knots goes in these lakes but it is rare. Therefore what i experienced lot of times that my kite (usually 9m) falls down regarding suddently weak wind, it goes for 3-5-10 min and then again more powerfull dose of wind for some 20-30 min. So I need kite for 7-13(14-15) knots wind as main scale. What i see from options which are a live and fast turning and most lightest as possible kites it is as only Peak5 6m (or 5m) or Hysper2 6m (or maybe new Gin Marabou forthcoming version 2 or Hydrostar). Also i foiling in sea, but there is of course much more stable wind less problems with kites. One of the dilema is that i can get peak5 much cheaper than Hysper2, Hysper is better in main features i think, but used price of Hysper for sale later will be much lower and will be hard to sell it, peak5 you can always sell for good price but Peak has narrow wind range and not jumps at all, plus no water relaunch in lot of cases.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:48 am

Thanks, now it makes more sense :thumb:

I dont think the 6 m2 kites are an option for you, as if you are average weight (I assume, you dont write), they dont work well in 7-11 knots of wind....
Possible in the upper half yes, but too small in most of the range.

8 m2 are maybe possible, but will also fall short in the lulls, and be slower, at least the Peaks.

I can understand money is somewhat an issue, since you dont get a superlight 10 m2 LEI, either one strut like Airush Ultra, or the fantastic but expensive OR Roam.
They are a bit more, or really expensive, but they tick all your boxes, easy to relaunch, much higher windrange, and turns fast and do not feel sluggish, and has good power on demand.

So it seems your best not pricey option is the 8 m2 Hysper-2 right now, eventhough low end is not tested so maybe too small.
But bigger sizes will be a dog, turningwise...

It makes a bit more sense why you ask and dont just get one, thanks.

8) Peter

PS: Maybe you dont kite on the water now in the wintertime?
Too much time without being out, makes us craving :rollgrin:
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
a99 (Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:01 am)

a99
Very Frequent Poster

Postby a99 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:09 am

Thanks you for suggestions. Yes, im not kitting in the winter at all. Im 67 kg. From peak 6m users reviews in forum i have understood that people with peaks 6m and less than 70kg starting from 8-9 knots already on foil. 7knots of course it is not for 6m getting up.
Any way i think 6m peak or hysper will turn faster and will be more alive than 10m Lei, isn’t?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:54 am

This topic is more on the Spirit-v2 but that is maybe not a hasard ... from What I read of your demand, I would add just a bit of money and go for a Spirit v2, far more pleasant if you do not foil in waves ; this kite is not expensive, below 1000 euro and is a good versatile kite, at the same level if not best compared to the other and more expensive mi-ratio double skin I have tested. No evident default up to now and a very living kite;

For example on the lift : peak is very poor, Hyper is just a bit above of very poor ; enormous gap in favor of the spirit v2; same for upwind; Both kite will hang in the air with same low wind, while the Spirit will support punctual lulls to 1 knots better and above all have far more chance to relaunch right after the lull or your pilot mistake ...

the "only" advantages of hyper or peak (not a judgment, just neutral comment) should be:
- safer in very high gust , more instant depower in case of suden lull, a bit less collapse risk in a very high turbulence
- easier to bring back to shore by swimming (but should not occur below 3 knots)
- a bit cheaper
- more resistan to violent crash.

For (all) the rest and ride pleasure, no real debate, in favor of mid-ratio double skins. you can have a look at second hands Conceptairt Waves as well, even more stable and instant depower
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
a99 (Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:56 am)

Return to “Foil Kites”