Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Jumping Rules

Postby Matteo V » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:40 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:16 am
It might be a cultural difference but I have had a few conversations with learners (out of lessons but still early stage beginners) where I've felt I've needed to reassure them not to worry about being in the way and that the beach is plenty big enough for them to pick up the skills.
Less maneuverable has the right of way. Plain and simple.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:25 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:40 pm
nothing2seehere wrote:
It might be a cultural difference but I have had a few conversations with learners (out of lessons but still early stage beginners) where I've felt I've needed to reassure them not to worry about being in the way and that the beach is plenty big enough for them to pick up the skills.
Yea, you keep repeating that. Too bad it’s not true.
If 8 people are in an area doing unhooked moves whatever they agree to is what it is. Think of it as a private contract. If you show up and screw it up for everyone else, you are in the wrong and the problem. :jump:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:50 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:34 pm
Toby wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:35 pm
Foilers don’t need flat water, right?
Flat water is not needed either for foiling or freestyle. But it's really nice for both.
What's the difference between chop and flat water for a foil?

For freestyle it is easier: broken knee or not.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:16 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:14 am
Relax everybody!

Good Toppic! (I really think it is a good topic).

Nice explained by most of you!

But stay „proffesionel“

Ha ha ha…. I did not even know about those freestyle rules.

Now I understand why some riders are super pissed, and are very aggressiv if you ride on the downward side of their long stone wall in the water. 200 meters long.

Let me explain: 10 to 12 knot day
- normal kiters could not stay upwind, and could not stay next to that stone wall.
- 10 foilers having a good time next to the Stone wall.
-> one guy with boots beeing super agressiv on and of the water. (Mostly of the Water as he could not stay upwind)

Finally I understand that he was trying to do his freestyle tricks, and probably this area normally is owned by him and other un-hookers.

And in my oppinion this might be a good local rule: if 20 boots guys are sitting in the shallow water and waiting till it is their time for a 50 meter run, with a superpower unhooked whatever trick to massive face plant, Nobody will get close to them.

But I do not understand the concept of a landing zone.

Imho it is not possible to determine where you are going to land after a 15 meter jump with some longer hangtime. (Plus’s an extra 25 meters for the faceplant and an uncontrolled kite.)
But that seems to be just my problem.

But let’s be realistic: when it is big boosting time with 30 knots plus, normal kiters are on the beach, trying to stuff the kite in the Bag.
Well.. that last part seems to be a bit different over here the past few years. Because 30+ is the ideal condition to put on your helmet and impactvest, and try waterstarting with your brand new 5m kite...

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:16 pm

Matteo V wrote:

No. You cannot possibly make that judgment. It is like saying a poor driver should get the right of way. They are driving the same equipment and should be judged by the same rules.
Now is it prudent of me to give a wider berth to someone I assume is a newbie, or otherwise lack control, hell yes, but you cannot at all calculate that into the "rules".

When it comes to jumping, it is of course the jumper who needs to make sure he doesn't land on someone....but if you are in a place and choose to force your POV on existing culture, you will end up with a lot of angry people around you.

This is really quite simple. Be nice, give people space, follow the local rules, and smile.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post:
Blackened (Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:21 pm

Matteo V wrote:
nothing2seehere wrote:
That's right. When you're up in the air, you're not really manoeuverable anymore. So get out of the way!

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:07 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:14 am
But I do not understand the concept of a landing zone.

Imho it is not possible to determine where you are going to land after a 15 meter jump with some longer hangtime. (Plus’s an extra 25 meters for the faceplant and an uncontrolled kite.)
But that seems to be just my problem.

But let’s be realistic: when it is big boosting time with 30 knots plus, normal kiters are on the beach, trying to stuff the kite in the Bag.
Landing zone is the general area where you are going to land. No one ever knows how far s/he will travel downwind - it's not just you. That's why it's imperative people know you're going big just behind them and stay clear of the area when someone is coming in.

While beginners will stay on the beach, intermediate kiters love to be out in 30kn+. There are 3 general types I see:
1. Kites are fully trimmed and hovering around 12 as they fight to control the kite. Mow the lawn a bit in the flat, get scared by the wind or us, then leave.
2. Kite correctly sized, but close to the limit for their skill level, so lawn mow or do 3-5m jumps in the easiest place to kite (generally our landing area).
3. Kite correctly sized, under control, jumping 10-15m. Because they don't loop or jump as high as we do, they don't realise they're jumping from the back of the landing zone to the front of it. Most of these guys are fine (and fun) to ride with - and this is who Big Booster rule #2 refers to :). I usually just mention it to them on the beach and they start learning.

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:08 pm

Faxie wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:21 pm
That's right. When you're up in the air, you're not really manoeuverable anymore. So get out of the way!
:lol:
These users thanked the author Blackened for the post:
Sun (Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:59 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:46 pm

tautologies wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:16 pm
Matteo V wrote:

No. You cannot possibly make that judgment. It is like saying a poor driver should get the right of way. They are driving the same equipment and should be judged by the same rules.
Sorry, but maritime law is clear that the less maneuverable craft has the right of way. I am not making any judgment on that fact, as it was long established before you or I came along.

You are arguing against the observable reality - and it makes the kitesurfing community look bad. Maritime rules are in place because we all share the same waterways with all sorts of business and other recreational users. Excluding others, especially newbies (like you once were), is going to have severe negative consequences for our sport.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..

Postby elguapo » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:49 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:25 pm
Matteo V wrote:
nothing2seehere wrote:
Yea, you keep repeating that. Too bad it’s not true.
If 8 people are in an area doing unhooked moves whatever they agree to is what it is. Think of it as a private contract. If you show up and screw it up for everyone else, you are in the wrong and the problem. :jump:

wait...
wut?
there are rules to the road on the water...
and it IS the less maneuverable...has right of way.. with both responsible for the avoidable of a collision.

..and those rules are NOT mob rule....or some super secret "private contract"..

feels like bizzaro world...(but perfectly understandble) that the loons that use beautiful waves to launch themselves instead of surfing.. also feel like it is their potential victims downwind of them to get out the way to avoid a collision. (hint: don't launch if people are in your landing area...doesnt matter your rotation)

my goodness

Return to “Kitesurfing”