Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

how long does it take for kite canopy to show signs of use?

Forum for kitesurfers
vela99
Medium Poster
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:02 pm
Gear: North Neo 8 & 11, Slingshot Celeritas 5'8''
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: how long does it take for kite canopy to show signs of use?

Postby vela99 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:09 pm

Hi

A reknown kite repairer said that 15 minutes of flapping does far more harm to the fabric than a 2 or 3 hour kite session.

He really insisted to a friend of mine to get into the habbit of limiting the exposure to flapping by having everything prepared before pumping up. Same but reverse when finishing.

Another point, as a reference. My 2017 North Neo 11m has about 300 hours flight and it looks like it can take another 300 easilly. (I never leave it on the ground flapping).

fabkites
Rare Poster
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:08 am
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 185
Local Beach: all over northern lake michigan
Style: freeride
Gear: Liquid Force v8 NV 7m, 9m, 12, North Reach 9m, 12m, Cabrinha Contra 15
137 & 141 twin tip, 150 LF Leibre door
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: how long does it take for kite canopy to show signs of use?

Postby fabkites » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:21 pm

guess that is good advice for practice for all of us that need our gear to last longer

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:21 am
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 98 times

Re: how long does it take for kite canopy to show signs of use?

Postby Kitemenn » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:03 am

BE_Kiter wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:24 am

What I do: clean them with non salty water, get them as dry as possible and put them clean in the bag.
Why on earth would you clean them on a regular basis with non salty water? Salty water is very effective against molds etc...in contrary to normal water

vela99
Medium Poster
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:02 pm
Gear: North Neo 8 & 11, Slingshot Celeritas 5'8''
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: how long does it take for kite canopy to show signs of use?

Postby vela99 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:55 am

Kitemenn wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:03 am
BE_Kiter wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:24 am

What I do: clean them with non salty water, get them as dry as possible and put them clean in the bag.
Why on earth would you clean them on a regular basis with non salty water? Salty water is very effective against molds etc...in contrary to normal water
And chlorine is not good for the fabric neither.

dice
Frequent Poster
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:05 pm
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: how long does it take for kite canopy to show signs of use?

Postby dice » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:08 pm

vela99 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:09 pm
A reknown kite repairer said that 15 minutes of flapping does far more harm to the fabric than a 2 or 3 hour kite session.
But it's important to know that the damage here is likely very minimal. My kites have been flapping for years and they look alright.
Especially the canopy at the tips flap a lot, I never put sand on that to stop the flapping. And they look no worse than the canopy in the middle, which I often put sand on to stop the flapping.

PusherII
Rare Poster
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:16 pm
Local Beach: ostia beach
Favorite Beaches: El Portillo, Las Terranas
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Core XR5
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: how long does it take for kite canopy to show signs of use?

Postby PusherII » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:52 am

I would not recommend to wash kite often.
I actually don't wash at all

I just make it dry and then scroll a little bit to quit more sand as possibile.
Water is not good for canopy

vela99
Medium Poster
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:02 pm
Gear: North Neo 8 & 11, Slingshot Celeritas 5'8''
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: how long does it take for kite canopy to show signs of use?

Postby vela99 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:13 pm

dice wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:08 pm
vela99 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:09 pm
A reknown kite repairer said that 15 minutes of flapping does far more harm to the fabric than a 2 or 3 hour kite session.
But it's important to know that the damage here is likely very minimal. My kites have been flapping for years and they look alright.
Especially the canopy at the tips flap a lot, I never put sand on that to stop the flapping. And they look no worse than the canopy in the middle, which I often put sand on to stop the flapping.

For sure there are factors such as local conditions, the specific kite design and type of fabric that have an effect on the deterioration due to exposure to wind when on the ground.

But I believe nobody will maintain that leaving a kite on the ground flapping is good for the kite. Just look at a flag after a few weeks of exposure.
These users thanked the author vela99 for the post:
jumptheshark (Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:55 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3355
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:12 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/91/101/111cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20/23” Guardian/Sentinel bars, 70/90cm carbon masts, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast, Moses 590/330 wing/stabilizer with fuselage plus 1200 sq.cm lightwind wing
.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 318 times
Been thanked: 467 times

Re: how long does it take for kite canopy to show signs of use?

Postby grigorib » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:50 pm

Interesting. I see such wrinkles on 5m blue UFO but they don’t appear on the black one. Is it material specific issue?

User avatar
Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2025
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:38 am
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 305 times

Re: how long does it take for kite canopy to show signs of use?

Postby Havre » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:00 pm

vela99 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:09 pm
Hi

A reknown kite repairer said that 15 minutes of flapping does far more harm to the fabric than a 2 or 3 hour kite session.

He really insisted to a friend of mine to get into the habbit of limiting the exposure to flapping by having everything prepared before pumping up. Same but reverse when finishing.

Another point, as a reference. My 2017 North Neo 11m has about 300 hours flight and it looks like it can take another 300 easilly. (I never leave it on the ground flapping).
Interesting. I basically never leave my kites on the beach and they look fantastic even after some years.

dice
Frequent Poster
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:05 pm
Style: Freeride
Gear: Hadlow ID
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: how long does it take for kite canopy to show signs of use?

Postby dice » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:37 pm

vela99 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:13 pm
dice wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:08 pm
vela99 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:09 pm
A reknown kite repairer said that 15 minutes of flapping does far more harm to the fabric than a 2 or 3 hour kite session.
But it's important to know that the damage here is likely very minimal. My kites have been flapping for years and they look alright.
Especially the canopy at the tips flap a lot, I never put sand on that to stop the flapping. And they look no worse than the canopy in the middle, which I often put sand on to stop the flapping.

For sure there are factors such as local conditions, the specific kite design and type of fabric that have an effect on the deterioration due to exposure to wind when on the ground.

But I believe nobody will maintain that leaving a kite on the ground flapping is good for the kite. Just look at a flag after a few weeks of exposure.
I'm not saying it's good. I'm just saying that I don't think the damage is as bad as you make it look.
It's like smoking, it's bad in the (very) long run. Your body is capable of handling a few smokes before it starts getting cancer, but it's still not a good thing to start with.
Same with the kite, it can handle a lot of flapping before the damage starts to get visible and deteriorate the kite. Most people will have bought new kites long before that happens.

I don't understand your reference to flags, if a flag can't handle a few weeks of exposure, maybe you should've bought better quality flags :lol:
The flags around here take a lot longer than a few weeks before they don't look fresh anymore.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 92 guests