Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Andulucia
Favorite Beaches: Viana , Fresh West, Le Morne
Style: Wave
Gear: Duotone, JP custom
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Bad News! S. Africa - Travel Bans/Restrictions

Postby alunj » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:17 pm

Deja vu ! I was equally perplexed by the testing thing on the NL flight kind of shows of useless that is
But in the U.K. just announced
“ The PM has announced that all travellers entering the UK must take a PCR test by the end of the second day after their arrival, and must self-isolate until they receive a negative test result.”

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:42 pm

Exal wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:30 pm
Anyone else opened this topic to find relevant news to travel restrictions and ended up shaking his head about the peanuts bringing up politics again? :rollgrin:
I think how the virus started and what we can do to see that it never happens again is relevant. True or false?????? or do you just not give a shit?

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Crandon - Key Biscayne, FL
Sherman Island - Antioch, CA
Crissy Field - San Francisco, CA
Anne's Beach - Islamorada, FL
Curry Hammocks - Marathon, FL
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Main Beach - Langebaan, South Africa
Mui Ne Bay - Ham Tien, Vietnam
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: _
2020 10m Rebel, 2021 10m Dice, 2022 Dice SLS 12m Dice, 2020 13m Rebel, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:00 pm

Exal wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:30 pm
Anyone else opened this topic to find relevant news to travel restrictions and ended up shaking his head about the peanuts bringing up politics again? :rollgrin:
As the OP I am somewhat surprised at the political discussion my post took on. I was more posting to serve critical news to this community of people who, like myself, consider travel to CPT in January for kiting. I was actually in The process of looking at flights to CPT from Hawaii on Black Friday when I read these headlines. I recall following the emergence of COVID in China while I was in CPT back in Jan 2020.

Its ironic that in a bid to push vaccinations politicians keep trying to eliminate testing requirements for vaccinated travelers since vaccinated people still act as carriers. The politicos are so married to their vaccine push they are not utilizing the vaccines correctly from a public health policy perspective.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:21 pm

[img]
SmartSelect_20211018-112836_Facebook.jpg
These users thanked the author matth for the post (total 2):
flaps1111 (Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:27 pm) • Kamikuza (Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:10 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb/86kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master 138, Cyclone 139, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:29 am

Too late to stop Omicron from spreading, it clearly is already all over the place. And the bizarre story of the two flights from SA that landed in Amsterdam is beyond belief. They tested everyone on board and found 61 positives. Presumably these were rapid antigen tests, so now they need PCR tests (looking for S-gene dropout) or sequencing to check for Omicron variants. How could 10% of folk on board be infected (remember that these rapid antigen tests if positive are reliable, but if negative are sometimes false negative, so this is certainly an undercount)? Well, without details, NYT article says that many on board did not need a covid test, much less a PCR test, to board because some of the countries they were flying on to did not require that (perhaps for vaccinated folk? That's true for Panama now, where I travelled a month ago with only proof of full vaccination and no covid test). And now they have spent perhaps 24 hours in close contact with the remaining ±450 people who have now been sent on their way to all corners of Europe and beyond. Fantastic superspreader event underway, and if most of those infections are indeed Omicron, as we believe because almost all positive PCR tests in SA are now S-gene dropouts, then it has now been efficiently spread all over the place.

Matteo V
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Postby Matteo V » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:53 am

dracop wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:00 pm
As the OP I am somewhat surprised at the political discussion my post took on.
Ha! That's a good one!

Come on, man.

The greatest wealth concentrating event in human history, with freedoms that were once sacred just given up for "the greater good", along with those that hate the concentration of wealth in just an ever decreasing number of individuals at the top now completely buying into the narrative sold to them by those at the top, and removal of a means to make a living from those who question (just question) the motivation of those at the top‽????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I'd like to see what could possibly be more of a political discussion instigator than this topic.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
matth (Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:55 am)
Rating: 6.67%

rnelias
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Gear: F-One Bandit 12m, Duotone Rebe 9m, Dice 7m, Alpha 8m, Soul 12/15m, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD 2019, Mystic Majestic

Postby rnelias » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:23 am

#StayAtHome #Forever

rnelias
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Gear: F-One Bandit 12m, Duotone Rebe 9m, Dice 7m, Alpha 8m, Soul 12/15m, Crazy Fly Raptor LTD 2019, Mystic Majestic

Postby rnelias » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:26 am

btw... they've skipped variant "Xi"

Omicron is after "xi" on greek's alphabet

Does "Xi" remember someone.... nevermind... :roll:
greek.jpg
greek.jpg (26.04 KiB) Viewed 484 times
These users thanked the author rnelias for the post:
grigorib (Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:12 am)
Rating: 6.67%

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:11 am

Sweden's ambassador asking all Swedes to travel home from South Africa.

I hope Hugh2 is right, but unfortunately I think this will be a world cup in ridiculous rhetoric again from representatives from governments across the world.

There are some indications that this might be the mutation we have been waiting for. A milder version that will outcompete more harmful strains. I wonder even if that is true if the news, governments etc will allow that to be the case though. Has to be boring getting back to "normal" now and seemingly the people aren't desperate for that to happen either.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:43 am

Pfizer saying they'll be able to produce a new vaccine within 100 days. Puh. We are saved :lol:

Won't be fast enough to save this season in Cape Town, but we can all go newly vaccinated to Brazil in September instead.

Return to “Kitesurfing”