Anne's Beach - Islamorada, FL
Curry Hammocks - Marathon, FL
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Main Beach - Langebaan, South Africa
Mui Ne Bay - Ham Tien, Vietnam
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: _
2020 10m Rebel, 2021 10m Dice, 2022 Dice SLS 12m Dice, 2020 13m Rebel, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Re: Bad News! S. Africa - Travel Bans/Restrictions

Postby dracop » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:50 pm

Here is a clue: fatter people tend to have more cardiovascular issues. Older people 60+ tend to also have more cardiovascular issues as your heart weakens with age (especially if it atrophies from lack of exercise). Some skinny people are skinny without needing to do exercise and have weak cardio systems.

One surprising thing about COVID fatalities is that asthma and COPD sufferers have statistics that look almost identical to the overall population. Given that it kills you by making it difficult to breathe, that was unexpected.

Fatality rate is virtually all related to how much of a physical strain your heart can take.

Infection - anyone can be infected including vaccinated people.

Prescription: the majority of humanity needs more exercise and outdoor time.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:36 pm

grigorib wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:31 pm
Data by county in US. COVID has been politicized for no need and it’s causing unnecessary deaths. There’s variance, of course, and I wish conservatives and democrats would rather join efforts and make sure restrictions are meaningful, and mandates are not needed yet people push straight lies out and those lies cost lives of our fellow citizens.
Nice graphics. Do you have one for murder rates in Biden vs Trump counties? Just curious.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/91/101/111cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20/23” Guardian/Sentinel bars, 70/90cm carbon masts, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast, Moses 590/330 wing/stabilizer with fuselage plus 1200 sq.cm lightwind wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby grigorib » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:57 am

loco4viento wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:36 pm
grigorib wrote:
Data by county in US. COVID has been politicized for no need and it’s causing unnecessary deaths. There’s variance, of course, and I wish conservatives and democrats would rather join efforts and make sure restrictions are meaningful, and mandates are not needed yet people push straight lies out and those lies cost lives of our fellow citizens.
Nice graphics. Do you have one for murder rates in Biden vs Trump counties? Just curious.
No. But if you look at Chicago there’s quite racial/economic breakdown for murders, not sure if political affiliation in violent crime makes that much difference. Point is - unlike conservatives in Canada and UK, a third of conservatives in US are not believing in COVID vaccine, and they also have been dying more this fall. For democrats it’s only 10% and that’s messed up too.
I can care less who voted for whom, and whether someone trusts international organizations, yet not taking CDC advice is silly
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
Flyboy (Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:41 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:02 am

The Kaiser foundation has some interesting data and you can slice data anyway you want but the difference between republicans and democrats for vaccinations in the USA is very stark.

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-1 ... tiongroups
FFAFFBDF-2538-4E92-8CA2-D3FBFBA9DC15.jpeg
BA730618-70EF-4DDD-97C9-0A7ED55628AA.jpeg

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:33 am

grigorib wrote:
If that's the same thing I was looking at recently, they've carefully selected their criteria to get those results aka cherry picking the data.

And still, correlation isn't causation.

You can't expect much from either party, especially when both Harris and Biden said, "If Trump mandates it, I'm not taking it." I really wish Trump was still in, just to see how this would play out...

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:25 am

With vaccine efficacy at 90%+ this should mean Democratic victories for the next elections.

Wouldn’t bet on it.

So the spike in South Africa wasn’t necessarily because of Omicron, but catching up of old samples. Not like the world didn’t overreact :lol:

Now we just got to pray it spreads fast and extensively before we go on another round of vaccine madness for a virus we all know mutates.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; La Ventana; SPI; Hood River; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/91/101/111cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20/23” Guardian/Sentinel bars, 70/90cm carbon masts, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast, Moses 590/330 wing/stabilizer with fuselage plus 1200 sq.cm lightwind wing

Postby grigorib » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:32 pm

Havre, if I read correctly you’re saying “let’s hope new variance is way less deadly and causes less hospitalizations and if it builds and leaves behind natural immunity it would help ending the pandemic if it spreads fast”
Something like original cowpox infections which later became immunizations and eventually eradicated smallpox.

That would be one amazing scenario. And “less deadly” would need to be way less deadly. Like for most natural medicine that won’t be possible to patent and milk such scenario, yet overall economic impact of coming back to normal business will be overwhelming.

Until that let’s get them folks vaccinated.
As of conservatives-democrats - I want them all to live and focus on heathy common goals and not pull the country apart to crazy extremes.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:52 pm

Correct.

Based on the assumption that Omicron really is mild - the worst thing that can happen if people like Arden, Trudeau etc. keep on spreading fear - convincing people to accept lockdowns until we are ready with new vaccines. I don't think that will happen, but never did I think the world would go this mad in the first place so.... still country after country is increasing restrictions these days. Norway will announce new restrictions at 19:00 tonight. Sweden has also introduced new restrictions. Hopefully just temporary because we don't really know about Omicron yet, but that isn't what is being said. And the rhetoric almost 2 years ago was that it was temporary to "flatten the curve". Since then hardly any "Western" country, to my knowledge, has increased capacity in health care etc. But now I'm rambling on with my conspiracies again :lol:

Should be said I don't think it is "planned" in any way. I just think too many people in power are useless. And that not enough of the "people" care enough to be properly informed (not saying that if you are informed you agree with me of course).

As for people taking the current vaccine. I have no view. If people want to then of course let them. One could discuss if they should pay for them themselves, but I'm willing to lose that battle if free vaccines means we can stop these restrictions.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grigorib » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:32 pm

Flattening the curve was essential to relieve overflown hospitals/ICUs. There was some hope to stop/eliminate the virus completely and not enough knowledge how it spreads.

You and everyone else will win when this is over, and economies spring back with more energy. Pandemics of 1918, 1957, 1968 were pretty deadly, they sucked, restrictions sucked and on the way science advanced. Lockdowns must be meaningful. Yet also people can’t be pushing back against everything they don’t like personally. Economies advance when people are not sick and are free - that’ll be a win goal to aim for.
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
Flyboy (Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:53 pm)

Havre
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Havre » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:51 pm

I haven’t pushed back on everything. In the early days I even argued for stricter restrictions. I just find if baffling that there is this ridiculous reluctancy to learn.

The latest example being these half a:);)4) attempts to “slow” Omicron. We didn’t stop the “original” virus with a lot tougher restrictions so how did anyone think what we are doing now will stop anything? And why would we even want to? It is pretty clear by now that strains replace strains. So we should want the mild ones to take over.

Two years and as far as I can tell not a single country has been able to even remotely adjust their health system to be better suited to handle peaks. Two years and hardly anyone speak of how one can protect oneself against the virus - other than taking vaccines designed for a very different virus.

This letter is from 1918. Quite frankly a lot more intelligent than anything I have seen from any public official the last two years.
E5C0E275-E1BD-4621-970D-7CB95FF111BF.jpeg
Pleased that the new restrictions in Norway don’t seem to change much in terms of daily life. Yet.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
Johnny Rotten (Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:06 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”