Cab Fireball mod, is this safe?

Forum for kitesurfers
jmach
Medium Poster
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Cab Fireball mod, is this safe?

Postby jmach » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:06 pm

Trying to figure out a way to use this cast-off Fireball without using the Cabrinha depower line system. The line in my setup is 5mm Dyneema (please ignore the makeshift splice). The holes in the top piece were filed smooth. With a decent splice job would this be a strong/safe alternative? I've included a photo of the standard Cabrinha depower for reference. Thanks
Attachments
_J3A4875.JPG
_J3A4879.JPG
cab depower.png

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: Cab Fireball mod, is this safe?

Postby grigorib » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:18 pm

I’d watch for wear where line goes at angle through plastic, but I’d say it will hold for good time.
The fireball piece works well to be attached to a sliding spreader bar ring I believe, so good reuse.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:11 pm

I have been using the modified Cloop, see photo, with a 5m Montana, for kite buggying for about thirty to forty hours. Power slides etc but not jumping.

PS photo will not upload, but it is a cab chickenloop with rotor head drilled similar to yours.

Can’t remember how I proof tested, probably hung my body weight on it and bounced a little bit!
Last edited by Herman on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

alpaia
Medium Poster
Local Beach: monteynard
Favorite Beaches: kerhiilio almanarre leucate
Style: relaxed
Gear: naish kites diy boards

Postby alpaia » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:52 am

I have been thinking about using a fireball release but gave up as I did not want to buy the QR + cab depower ( prefer long throw )

Seems like the factory parts are held together by a palstic thread ? or is there a metal piece too ?

Your mod looks good but how to figure out if strong enough over time, I am not sure at all after you drill the plastic.

what is the diameter of the safety line that can pass through the metal "funnel" of the QR ?
The cab depower has a split PU tube to protect the thin ( 2mm I think ) safety line, but if you use the same exposed it will get worn quickly.

this guy made a mod to use a firebball for a sliding rope harness, if that can bbe of any use ( page 4 - 5 )
https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kit ... ess?page=4

Let us know how it goes - keep safe if iin doubt

jmach
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby jmach » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:13 pm

I'm not concerned about the strength of the depower line or splice but more interested in how the forces will impact the integrity of the plastic piece where the 5mm line passes through and goes around.
The Cabrinha depower system has a loop that goes around a small plastic piece which is then inserted into the threaded top piece (the top piece is actually split so its two pieces). Seems to me the plastic threads on the top and bottom pieces of the Cab system would take the brunt of the forces generated while kiting.
With the modified version I believe the forces would be distributed by the rope going around the plastic piece and also taken by the area above the holes where the line passes through.
The safety line runs along the 5mm depower line and through the center tube of the QR, not at all concerned about wear on a non PU covered flag line.
So the question is, will the plastic area where rope runs around and though take the load?

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:21 am

So it looks to me like this part of the Cab QR is rusting away? I've used this maybe 20 time in salt water but I rinse my bars after each use and hang them to dry. It appears two pressed pins, one on each side of the shaft are to hold a round metal plate/cylinder that connects the black plastic to the metal shaft/pipe. The black plastic part can spin. The pipe does not have a pin running thru it. These parts all transmit the full load from the QR/latch to the center lines. Failure mode of the rusted pins would separate the black plastic (attached to the center lines) from the QR? So...the easy answer is replace the whole Cab QR when it gets rusted out. Not sure if there is anyway to prevent the rusting or replace the pins?
Rust.jpg
Rust.jpg (21.88 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (20.9 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (26.72 KiB) Viewed 3054 times
Last picture is a QR that has not rusted out. Ideas :?:

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:07 pm

Is it a pin or a set screw? You can easily replace a set screw.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:17 pm

jmach wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:06 pm
Trying to figure out a way to use this cast-off Fireball without using the Cabrinha depower line system. The line in my setup is 5mm Dyneema (please ignore the makeshift splice). The holes in the top piece were filed smooth. With a decent splice job would this be a strong/safe alternative? I've included a photo of the standard Cabrinha depower for reference. Thanks
I'd do a full loop as a safety precaution. You can make a splice to avoid the lines crossing.
Attachments
IMG_20220114_170650_edit_1175254349364939.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”