Brand Affiliation: None.

2021 Gran Canaria IKA KiteFoil World Series - Day 2

Postby Toby » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:45 pm

IKA News:

AP over A: but Gruber goes out in gnarly conditions

ika.jpg
© Sailing Energy / IKA: Spectacular foiling conditions in the Canaries
ika.jpg (270.48 KiB) Viewed 2753 times

The ‘racing postponed’ flags were displayed at 2pm on day two of the 2021 KiteFoil World Series Gran Canaria. Winds gusting over 30 knots at the Playa de las Burras meant no racing for the day. Even so, top German rider Flo Gruber ventured out for some high-wind kitefoiling practice in gnarly conditions.

“I’m lucky to have my coach and a coach boat here, so I had some back-up and wanted to practise in the big waves,” said the German veteran of the kitefoiling scene. “For the racing, AP over A was definitely the right decision. Getting off the beach when the wind is gusting off the shore between the hotels and the other buildings around here, that can be really dangerous. And going out there and having all the space and time in the world to move around by yourself, that’s one thing. It’s completely different when you’re on a busy start line and everyone’s struggle to control their kite, that’s when things can go wrong very quickly.”

In just over a week’s time, Gruber will be flying to Oman as the International Kiteboarding Association’s coach at the Youth Sailing World Championships. “I want to support the young kitefoilers who will be representing their countries at this really important event,” said Gruber, who at 27 years old is considered one of the ‘old men’ of this exciting new sailing discipline. “If there’s any experience I can pass on to them, or help them in and out of the water, or help fix their kit if something breaks, I want to be there for them.”

After five races on day one of the 2021 KiteFoil World Series Gran Canaria, Axel Mazella leads the event overall with four race wins. In the women’s division, Poema Newland holds the lead and sits just a point outside of the top 10 overall.

Racing is planned for 1200 hours on Friday. All the action will be featured on Facebook Livestream.

2021 Kitefoil World Series Gran Canaria - Men (5 races, 1 discard)
1 FRA Axel Mazella 4pts
2 GBR Connor Bainbridge 7pts
3 RYF Denis Taradin 13pts

2021 Kitefoil World Series Gran Canaria - Women (5 races, 1 discard)
1 FRA Poema Newland 40pts
2 FRA Lauriane Nolot 54pts
3 AUT Alina Kornelli 59pts

Full rankings: www.kitefoilworldseries.com

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle