Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

For all foil kite riders
djdojo
Rare Poster
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:25 am
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 84kg
Local Beach: West StKilda, Brighton
Style: Strapless foiling
Gear: Armstrong 1125, 925, 725, chopped 725, chopped FlyingV and chopped HA195 tails, homemade pocketboards, 7m Soul, 5, 4 and 3m Peak4s, 2.8m BRM Cloud
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby djdojo » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:26 am

How are the Peak 5s holding up? I'm interested in the real world durability of the TX-light cloth before I shell out for a 2.5m hybrid that may see a bit of fluttering. (Also interested in the cutout ribs, in case I go for a 2.5 Peak, and I know Horst mentioned some issues.)

I ride my Peak4s in such a way that they rarely flutter and they're holding up really well after lots of use.

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:42 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 233 times
Contact:

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby drsurf » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:02 pm

martrench wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:06 am
Thanks! Would you also recommend a 45cm bar for the 4m Peak 5?

I was thinking of getting just one bar for both kites since I don't get enough big wind days for the 2.5m.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If it's a dedicated bar I would go 45cm, it helps tame the turning a little. I would do 15-17m lines with extensions to around 21m. Enjoy the 2.5m. It's a little demon!
I use the 50cm Connect bar on all sizes of Peak and Hybrid. Having used this bar for a over 2 years now I don't find it a problem with any of the sizes but I do like a fast turning kite and mainly use the 2.5m, 3.5m & 5m kites.
I use one hand a lot of the time and like the light weight & simplicity of the Connect bar. I've also used it with the standard 21m and 14m lines.

drsurf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:42 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 233 times
Contact:

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby drsurf » Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:20 pm

djdojo wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:26 am
How are the Peak 5s holding up? I'm interested in the real world durability of the TX-light cloth before I shell out for a 2.5m hybrid that may see a bit of fluttering. (Also interested in the cutout ribs, in case I go for a 2.5 Peak, and I know Horst mentioned some issues.)

I ride my Peak4s in such a way that they rarely flutter and they're holding up really well after lots of use.
Hi djdojo.

I've been using the Peak 5 kites in 2.5m, 4m and 5m sizes, mainly the 2.5m & 4m as I only need wind above 12 knots to get going on the 4m and 14 knots to get out the 2.5m. I've had no issues with any wear on the cloth or bridles. Like you I don't have flutter problems with any of the Peaks or the Hybrid.
There are no problems with the cutout ribs and I wouldn't expect there to be. Remember the Peaks were designed to pull a well clothed skier up hill with often strong and gusty winds, pulling a foiler around isn't going to stress the kite.

Haven't used the Hybrid as much as it's so new but I doubt there will be any problems. Flysurfer usually has a 2 year cycle on its kites unlike many other companies which release upgrades annually. This means a heavy user would have their kite out in the sun and wind for quite a while over that period. Having sold the Peak4, Peak5 and Hybrid kites since they were released, I've yet to hear from any of my customers that they have worn their kites out.
It's likely over time that bridles will shrink & stretch a little but the Peaks appear to be very tolerant of this.

Kiterisland1
Rare Poster
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:24 am
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: Naish, airush, slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby Kiterisland1 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:03 pm

Question for you guys. I’m going to get 2 peaks for travelling. I’m 200lbs and big surf foil on a 110 board. What two sizes should I get to maximize wind range. Want to be able to ride in 8-25kts. I’m efficient with the kite and foil. Thanks.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:03 am
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 69 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby joriws » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:51 am

Typically the foiling limit with Peak is the surface operations, like getting from water to board and accelerating the combo above foil stall speed. After this the power requirement drops to nothing as you know.

So selecting Peak kite is more optimizing the impulse aka power x time. Sure with 110 litre board(?) you can do things different over my 16l board. With my +50lbs over you, 1550cm2 foil and Peak4 5sqm my low end is somewhere where you are requesting. Sometimes when deep water I stand over board and try to accelerate first breaching surface with board and then foiling speed, might take 20 seconds.

With 110l board you can skip this so based on my experience 5sqm Peak5 should be fine on 8kn. If you want to be sure take 6sqm.

I ride Peak4 on low wind side and we are talking only Peak5 as I understand you are looking factory new kite quiver. I understand Peak5 is a bit more powerful compared to Peak4 so maybe you are fine with Peak5 5sqm.

On top end I use Peak5 4sqm which covers 25kn on me, last time was around 30kn I rode it. It is already fast & agile on the sky but next smaller alternative is an angry wasp, so thats why my pick is 4sqm.

So after long why-explaining-writing I'd say Peak5 4 + 5sqm for 8-25kn range with "big surf foil", 110l board and 200lbs. Those are nice lively kites for 2 kite quiver.

But if you have a lot 8kn and a lot 20kn but almost never 16kn then you could select differently like 3+6 sqm quiver but it will leave a range gap at mid ranges. You can ride it but comfortable riding, 6sqm getting over powered and 3 still a tad too small.

What others think with more Peak5 exp in low wind?

IWantToFly
Medium Poster
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:43 pm
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 73kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 12, Peak5 5m
Cloud 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby IWantToFly » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:45 am

joriws wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:51 am

With 110l board
Pretty sure he means 110cm board!

User avatar
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2523
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 224 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby Flyboy » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:20 pm

Kiterisland1 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:03 pm
Question for you guys. I’m going to get 2 peaks for travelling. I’m 200lbs and big surf foil on a 110 board. What two sizes should I get to maximize wind range. Want to be able to ride in 8-25kts. I’m efficient with the kite and foil. Thanks.
It's not realistic to cover that range with 2 Peak kites - you would end up spending a lot of time underpowered, or overpowered. Give up a couple of knots at the low end and you could go with a 6m and a 4m. That's the best 2 kite quiver IMO. The 4m is going to be a a bit much at 25 knots.

One thing to bear in mind is that Peaks pack down very small - much smaller than you might imagine. So traveling with 3, or even 4 kites, is not difficult. If you go with a 3 kite quiver you could get an 8m to get down to 8 knots, a 5m for 12/13 knot plus and a 4m for 15/16 knots plus ... or stick with the 5m for up to 17/18 knots and get a 3m for 18 knots to 25 knots plus.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
Kiterisland1 (Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:53 pm)
Rating: 3.13%

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:03 am
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 69 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby joriws » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:40 am

IWantToFly wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:45 am
joriws wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:51 am

With 110l board
Pretty sure he means 110cm board!
Could be but I would find it very weird giving board lenght in cm as usually they are foot&inches.

I assumed from "big surf foil" that board+foil setup is for foil-surfing where 110l would sound reasonable volume, similar volume to early wing foil board.

xfact
Rare Poster
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:48 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby xfact » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:44 am

Flyboy wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:20 pm
Kiterisland1 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:03 pm
Question for you guys. I’m going to get 2 peaks for travelling. I’m 200lbs and big surf foil on a 110 board. What two sizes should I get to maximize wind range. Want to be able to ride in 8-25kts. I’m efficient with the kite and foil. Thanks.
It's not realistic to cover that range with 2 Peak kites - you would end up spending a lot of time underpowered, or overpowered. Give up a couple of knots at the low end and you could go with a 6m and a 4m. That's the best 2 kite quiver IMO. The 4m is going to be a a bit much at 25 knots.

One thing to bear in mind is that Peaks pack down very small - much smaller than you might imagine. So traveling with 3, or even 4 kites, is not difficult. If you go with a 3 kite quiver you could get an 8m to get down to 8 knots, a 5m for 12/13 knot plus and a 4m for 15/16 knots plus ... or stick with the 5m for up to 17/18 knots and get a 3m for 18 knots to 25 knots plus.
I can confirm that. 4&6 are great. 6m2 80% of the time(90 kg, Armstrong 1250). Later I got an 8. I found out, that the wind range I need the 8 is sooo small, that I practically can open an ice cold beer or just enjoy the beach. If the wind picks up a notch, then it is time for the 6. Further, the 8 at the winds it is supposed to work is soo slow compared to the 6.
These users thanked the author xfact for the post:
Kiterisland1 (Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:27 pm)
Rating: 3.13%

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 11837
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark
Has thanked: 675 times
Been thanked: 860 times

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:24 am

xfact is spot on :thumb:


Return to “Foil Kites”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nixmatters, nothing2seehere and 1 guest