Forum for kitesurfers
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Click bar question

Postby Kamikuza » Mon May 23, 2022 2:44 pm

Is there any reason I can't flip the non-safety front line and use the line splitter ring thing down low? I'm guessing there might be some tangle issues when looping...

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Migrating to free style foiling
Gear: Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 6m
KauperXT Maverick 6M/8M + 11M Falcon
Airrush Ultra v3 5M
Slingshot ghost 4M
Core XR6 8M, XR5 10M /12M
Moses 633,679,671/ 91-101 mast / Groove Skate + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon / Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Click bar question

Postby leeuwen » Mon May 23, 2022 2:52 pm

IIRC if you turn them around the safety won’t work / stop at where the splitter is.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue May 24, 2022 1:41 am

Why do you want to flip it?

You can put the line splitter down low or just remove it.

Perhaps I don’t understand what you are proposing.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Tue May 24, 2022 4:19 am

leeuwen wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:52 pm
IIRC if you turn them around the safety won’t work / stop at where the splitter is.
Just the non-safety line, so the padded part the splitter mounts to is near the bar. Can't see how it'd be any different to not having the splitter at all and using the ring...? Apart from the bulk of the splitter and the risk of tangling crossed lines...
Last edited by Kamikuza on Tue May 24, 2022 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Tue May 24, 2022 4:24 am

purdyd wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 1:41 am
Why do you want to flip it?

You can put the line splitter down low or just remove it.

Perhaps I don’t understand what you are proposing.
To keep the low V-split but use the splitter doohickey. The top of the other front line has sheaths in a couple of locations to protect the line against the splitter, I assume.

Using the little ring only on other front line, looks like the safety is being pulled against the PU tube and rubbing.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue May 24, 2022 4:45 am

The non safety gray line does have some sheathing on it where the splitter attaches but I don’t think it really does anything but help locate it.

The safety line also has a sheath on it but I never seen any wear on it so I don’t think it matters much either way.

I know some people complained about the red line wear at the pu if the splitter was removed.

I think if the pu is free of burrs it should be ok. To simply remove the splitter.

It’s likely the redline will wear out at some other spot before it is an issue coming out of the pul

I’m running an infexion line set without the splitter on a click bar.

Albeit solely for foiling.

And the infexion setup for duotone has a real tough sheathing around the depower line running through the pu.

I’ve Also used infexion line sets without the sheathing on the leader lines for the splitter and never noticed any wear on the leader lines.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Migrating to free style foiling
Gear: Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 6m
KauperXT Maverick 6M/8M + 11M Falcon
Airrush Ultra v3 5M
Slingshot ghost 4M
Core XR6 8M, XR5 10M /12M
Moses 633,679,671/ 91-101 mast / Groove Skate + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Crazy Fly Raptor LTD Neon / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue May 24, 2022 6:52 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:19 am
leeuwen wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:52 pm
Just the non-safety line, so the padded part the splitter mounts to is near the bar. Can't see how it'd be any different to not having the splitter at all and using the ring...? Apart from the bulk of the splitter and the risk of tangling crossed lines...
You move around which part is moving on the lines.
Since one is static while the other one is moving.
If you put the static part on the other power line I think the moving part will hit the little stopper ball that is on the power/safety line at one side.
How much of an issue that is is for you to decide but you should certainly not put it close below that little ball.
Whatever you decide make sure you test the safety after you moved it so you make sure it is still working easy to test in a minute and rather be safe then sorry.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue May 24, 2022 8:37 am

I'm guessing because you are talking about a ring, you are looking at the first generation of click bar? If so, they spliced line attachment points into the front lines to attach the ring. I think that the spliced line was marginally narrower (or seemed it) than the main flying line so you might find the fit is too tight.

The sleeved part of the line on later bars was to prevent wear on the lines as the y-split adapter clamps onto the line which would give an opportunity for salt/sand particles to get into the strands. The sleeving is intended to reduce the likelihood of this. I have seen adhesive lined heat shrink used on aftermarket line sets. The adhesive sets hard which stops the strands from separating under the clamping force and seals the area around it.

Didn't have a problem with running without a splitter on my click bar (it was the line extensions that started to look old which prompted me to replace the whole set). I don't kite at a sandy beach though and I understand that could make a difference.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Tue May 24, 2022 10:36 am

purdyd wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:45 am
The non safety gray line does have some sheathing on it where the splitter attaches but I don’t think it really does anything but help locate it.

The safety line also has a sheath on it but I never seen any wear on it so I don’t think it matters much either way.

I know some people complained about the red line wear at the pu if the splitter was removed.

I think if the pu is free of burrs it should be ok. To simply remove the splitter.

It’s likely the redline will wear out at some other spot before it is an issue coming out of the pul

I’m running an infexion line set without the splitter on a click bar.

Albeit solely for foiling.

And the infexion setup for duotone has a real tough sheathing around the depower line running through the pu.

I’ve Also used infexion line sets without the sheathing on the leader lines for the splitter and never noticed any wear on the leader lines.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
There was a spate of abrasions on the safety line just near the exit of the PU. With a non-standard (I assume) low split that runs through the ring on the grey line, the PU gets twisted and I was guessing there's a bit of wear going on where it twists into the PU.

You're running the safety line through the little ring just above the exit of the PU?

Will look at them when the time comes, and I'm keeping a close eye on it too. I've got a tiny bit of wear there already...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Tue May 24, 2022 10:45 am

leeuwen wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:52 am
You move around which part is moving on the lines.
Since one is static while the other one is moving.
If you put the static part on the other power line I think the moving part will hit the little stopper ball that is on the power/safety line at one side.
How much of an issue that is is for you to decide but you should certainly not put it close below that little ball.
Whatever you decide make sure you test the safety after you moved it so you make sure it is still working easy to test in a minute and rather be safe then sorry.
nothing2seehere wrote: I'm guessing because you are talking about a ring, you are looking at the first generation of click bar? If so, they spliced line attachment points into the front lines to attach the ring. I think that the spliced line was marginally narrower (or seemed it) than the main flying line so you might find the fit is too tight.

The sleeved part of the line on later bars was to prevent wear on the lines as the y-split adapter clamps onto the line which would give an opportunity for salt/sand particles to get into the strands. The sleeving is intended to reduce the likelihood of this. I have seen adhesive lined heat shrink used on aftermarket line sets. The adhesive sets hard which stops the strands from separating under the clamping force and seals the area around it.

Didn't have a problem with running without a splitter on my click bar (it was the line extensions that started to look old which prompted me to replace the whole set). I don't kite at a sandy beach though and I understand that could make a difference.
I didn't think this wouldn't be so complicated :D

Latest version of the bar.

There's a little ring in the lark's head where the grey front line connects to the grey line that runs through the PU tube to the QR. To use it with my Cabrinha kites, we removed all the splitter gubbins and ran the safety out of the PU then through the little ring just above it. Apparently this is SOP with using Click bar with kites that have low-V bars...

So either way, if you release the QR the safety is going to run down to the bar. My idea would shorten that by what, 30cm or so...?

Not a big deal, it just occurred to me the other day as I was packing up and was wondering if anyone else had done it.... I'd be happy to see all the sheaths etc go as in my mind, they're a weak point :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”