Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What kind of kite do you use for strapless freestyle?

Forum for kitesurfers
thenatureboy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: bay area
Style: freeride/wave
Gear: neo 12
Brand Affiliation: None

What kind of kite do you use for strapless freestyle?

Postby thenatureboy » Sat May 28, 2022 4:07 am

Starting to learn airs on strapless. I have a dedicated wave kite which is obviously fine in the waves, but seems to jump better with a twin tip than a strapless. Also have a 9m core XR Ive spent a little time on with the strapless, and an 8m core GTS that i have not spent any time with the strapless on.

Trying to figure out which kite I should allocate my time on for practicing strapless airs and tricks.

Desert kite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Geula, TLV
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Eleveight fs 9 rs 12
CS vary bar
Best TS 7
Lieuwe shotgun

Re: What kind of kite do you use for strapless freestyle?

Postby Desert kite » Sat May 28, 2022 5:31 am

I dont strapless but some good local riders i know use neo and evo(though i personally dont like the evo for jumps) also saw some beast in tarifa with a dice dancing with the waves and jumping

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sat May 28, 2022 4:30 pm

thenatureboy wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 4:07 am
Trying to figure out which kite I should allocate my time on for practicing strapless airs and tricks.
I've found most wave kites to be really good for strapless freestyle. Some brands/models can be adjusted to refine their performance depending on one's preference.
Your Core GTS is actually a fairly good option for strapless. The XR is NOT! Core's Nexus would be the best choice imo.
You might want to spend some more time on your wave kite and then compare it to the GTS. :thumb:
These users thanked the author Da Yoda for the post:
thenatureboy (Sat May 28, 2022 8:45 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

thenatureboy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: bay area
Style: freeride/wave
Gear: neo 12

Postby thenatureboy » Sat May 28, 2022 8:42 pm

Da Yoda wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 4:30 pm
thenatureboy wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 4:07 am
I've found most wave kites to be really good for strapless freestyle. Some brands/models can be adjusted to refine their performance depending on one's preference.
Your Core GTS is actually a fairly good option for strapless. The XR is NOT! Core's Nexus would be the best choice imo.
You might want to spend some more time on your wave kite and then compare it to the GTS. :thumb:
Nice, I'll give the GTS a run this next week, and maybe throw a few more sessions on my wave kite as well.

Haha, the XR is for sure the slowest turning kite I think I've ever used and definitely pulled a little more than my liking in waves, but being that its a 9m I can still make it work, just not quite as good as my 8 wave kite ha. For some reason my first couple sessions trying strapless airs on the xr, i had a little more success with getting lift and slowly pulling the bar in to do so. Just felt a little more controlled than the wave kite... The XR does pull like a truck and floats you quite a bit which I could see being an issue for progressing though, Im pretty big at 91kg so getting the nose of the board up on my edge before sheeting into lift wasnt as bad as Id imagine it would be for someone lighter with the pull of that kite.

In any case it probably makes the most sense to just figure out how to do the airs on the wave kite since that is indeed what I'll likely gravitate to when taking my strapless out regardless :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”