Local Beach: La Palmyre
Style: Freestyle / big air
Gear: Naish Dash 11m/9m
Ozone Enduro V2 7m
Brand Affiliation: None

Smallest kite size for unhook freestyle

Postby X-Fly » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:38 pm

Hello,

I posted several messages on the North Pulse discussion.
But I am still hesitated about my next quiver.

The remained question is about the small kite to be used for freestyle. For me, when the kite size is « too small », the kite becomes too fast and not enough predicable, and furthermore, it needs more speed before unhooking so it gives less control.

So I am curious and I would like if other riders could share : what is your small kite size that you use for unhooked freestyle ? And not only to do raley but the same tricks that you success with your bigger kites :)

Thanks !

Have nice sessions :)

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: British Virgin Islands & Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Re: Smallest kite size for unhook freestyle

Postby nherbold » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:05 am

Depending on your weight and 'normal' riding preference (what unhooked tricks are you doing and what's on the wish list?) the answer will vary, so let me try to answer based on 'averages'.

Most people prefer their 12 as the best size for unhooked freestyle. Going bigger is fine but going smaller it indeeds get less 'forgiving' due to the increased speed of the kite.
Many unhooked riders will still be comfortable with a size down (9 or 10) but anything smaller will get more work or even sketchy (too fast). And when you fly a smaller kite like that it also means the wind is stronger thus any mistakes will get punished more severe. The antidote to this fine-tuning your technical skill AND flying the right kite for what you want to do. No kite does it all great..where you gain on one you loose on the other.

But for anything unhooked your body control and positioning/timing becomes even more important
These users thanked the author nherbold for the post:
X-Fly (Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:05 am)
Rating: 6.67%

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:40 am

9m is the smallest I unhook on, anything smaller and it's too winy and twitchy. I'm 86kg and ride unhooked freestyle on my 11m & 14m Dash every session, occasionally on the 9m, never ever on the 7m. It's possible to ride unhooked on 6m & 7m, the PKRA/GKA riders manage it in 30 - 40knts. For me the perfect unhooked wind is 13 to 20knts, once it's much over 20knts then get a flat 9m kite and move on to hook in boosting/rotating. Also consider the shape, the more "C" the shape the higher/more comfortable it is to unhook at a higher wind e.g. A 9m Torch should be fine to unhook in 20-25knts still, a flatter kite might be too powerful in the same range.
These users thanked the author BillyGoatGruff for the post:

X-Fly
Rare Poster
Weight: 65
Local Beach: La Palmyre
Style: Freestyle / big air
Gear: Naish Dash 11m/9m
Ozone Enduro V2 7m

Postby X-Fly » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:48 am

I am light (65 kg) and just an intermediate rider (raley, hinterberger, backroll to toeside, railey blind, and sometimes blind judge), but I want to continue my progression.
As Billy, I do not want to unhook after 20 kts, but with my 9m (Dash for the moment), my windrange to unhook easily is 15-18 kts. That’s why I bought a 8m but I have not the same control with this size, as I describe on my first post.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:55 am

Some wakestylers use a very short bar (like 30cm) to slow down the kite so it won't move that much when doing passes. Should be ok to down to a 9m with a slowed down kite and more comfort on unhooked oriented kites like c-kites in the high end.
These users thanked the author evan for the post:

Return to “Kitesurfing”