Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Duotone wam size

Forum for kitesurfers
Bill
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Duotone wam size

Postby Bill » Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:53 am

I had a 2018 or 19 wam - 5' 6 and around 20 kilos and worked perfect for me. Got to replace it and duotone seem to have increased volume on their boards. Not sure if to go for 5'7 with 24 kilos or 5'3 with 20 kilos ie not sure which board would have similar characteristics. Don't want to lose upwind ability of old board, but also don't want a board that gets a bit bouncy when wind gets up. Any comments much appreciated! I guess what's most important, length or weight?

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Re: Duotone wam size

Postby alfredo68 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:07 pm

Litres ! Not kilos.
Don t think you ll like a 24 litres board when previous was 20. I would go for 5 3 , 20 l

alsky
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 165
Local Beach: Gulfport MS
Favorite Beaches: Boca Grande, Paje,
Style: Strapless
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: kiteforum.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby alsky » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:58 pm

I just used the 2022 Wam for the first time yesterday and it was way to floaty for my liking. I weigh 65kg and rode the 5'8'', and it was really hard to get an edge to go upwind. I'd recommend trying one out if you have a chance. I've ridden the new Cabrinha board and like that one, personally I ride a custom Kazuma board that runs about the same price (or less) than the Wam.

Allison

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:47 pm

Bill wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:53 am
I had a 2018 or 19 wam - 5' 6 and around 20 kilos and worked perfect for me. Got to replace it and duotone seem to have increased volume on their boards. Not sure if to go for 5'7 with 24 kilos or 5'3 with 20 kilos ie not sure which board would have similar characteristics. Don't want to lose upwind ability of old board, but also don't want a board that gets a bit bouncy when wind gets up. Any comments much appreciated! I guess what's most important, length or weight?
You didn't mention your weight (kg). Being that you've been on a 20ltr 5'6, I'd recommend going for either the 5'3 or 5'5. It looks like you know this already, but incase you don't, your body weight will determine the liter volume, which in turn will direct you to the ideal length(s) options(s). Eg: For my weight (65Kg) I have a 5'7 22ltr board and a 4'11 21ltr board in my quiver.
In many cases, based on your weight and the corresponding liter volume, you may have 2-3 length options. If that's the case, I generally recommend getting the shorter length option depending on the type of wave conditions for what the board is intended for. Eg length: a 5'5 vs 5'7

For upwind performance, you may need to experiment with some fin sizes and find what works best for you. Much like boards, the ideal fin size is based off of your weight, but for kiting you can usually downsize. Fin shape and the Toe In positioning also has an effect on the board.

Personally I'd would not be worried about the board weight. I actually like a lighter weight board with more flex to make it smoother through the chop. :thumb:

Bill
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:05 pm

OK I'm 75kg and went for the 5'3 - so glad I did, what a fantastic board! Best I've ever ridden. Get one!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”