Forum for kitesurfers
AirConnolly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Eastern Long Island
Gear: Cabrinha and Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Unwanted Rotation on Big Airs

Postby AirConnolly » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:27 pm

We had some epic conditions out on Long Island this past Friday. Sunny, warm water, 20+ knots. I was riding power up and boosting on a twin tip. On some of the bigger jumps, my front foot was unintentionally rotating 90-120 degrees. This only happened on the bigger jumps with more hangtime. I ate it a few times and managed to adjust and land it a few times. The water was choppy with 2-3 foot kickers. I think some of it could be a timing issue between hitting the wave, popping, and sending the kite. I don't have video, so I know it will be tough to know exactly was is going on. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Or tips/videos on body and kite position during bigger jumps with more hangtime? Thanks!
These users thanked the author AirConnolly for the post:
nherbold (Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:55 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Raynski
Medium Poster
Gear: Ventum

Re: Unwanted Rotation on Big Airs

Postby Raynski » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:51 pm

Really need video, but most likely it’s either not enough line tension/chop/looking the wrong way
These users thanked the author Raynski for the post:
noamb (Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:21 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:55 pm

Those are my most fun, but scariest jumps on hydrofoil.

Landing them isn't that difficult, although it is very scary. You just need to forget everything and remember which way you jumped, keep pulling on your back hand for a few seconds, then redirect with front hand

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:05 pm

happens. edging too hard upwind leads to back rotation, edging too little and getting a kicker leads to front rotation.

Concentrate to edge and pop upwards towards your kite to not rotate.

And once you rotate, keep rotating and finish the rotation for a controlled landing...make sure to keep an eye on your kite to keep it in zenith.

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: British Virgin Islands & Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:57 pm

AirConnolly wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:27 pm
We had some epic conditions out on Long Island this past Friday. Sunny, warm water, 20+ knots. I was riding power up and boosting on a twin tip. On some of the bigger jumps, my front foot was unintentionally rotating 90-120 degrees. This only happened on the bigger jumps with more hangtime. I ate it a few times and managed to adjust and land it a few times. The water was choppy with 2-3 foot kickers. I think some of it could be a timing issue between hitting the wave, popping, and sending the kite. I don't have video, so I know it will be tough to know exactly was is going on. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Or tips/videos on body and kite position during bigger jumps with more hangtime? Thanks!
Which direction was the rotation? Your chest rotating into the wind (which means you are twisting your hips too much at take-off) or the other way causing you to fly backwards (caused by not twisting into your jump enough at take off)

AirConnolly
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Eastern Long Island
Gear: Cabrinha and Slingshot

Postby AirConnolly » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:35 pm

nherbold wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:57 pm

Which direction was the rotation? Your chest rotating into the wind (which means you are twisting your hips too much at take-off) or the other way causing you to fly backwards (caused by not twisting into your jump enough at take off)
My front foot and shoulder were turning downwind or in toward the bar. I would call it a backside rotation based on snow/skate convention, but I don't want to get lost in the semantics.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly mostly

Postby Faxie » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:51 pm

Keep your shoulders straight and back, don't look down, and it also seems that you try to push with your back foot but are forgetting your front foot. You're basically setting up for a frontroll. Keep your entire edge at takeoff and don't try to 'push' off the water.

Also, riding with a seatharness by any chance?

Indulang
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Local Beach: Taiwan
Style: Just fooling around
Gear: Duotone Rebel

Postby Indulang » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:18 pm

AirConnolly wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:35 pm
My front foot and shoulder were turning downwind or in toward the bar. I would call it a backside rotation based on snow/skate convention, but I don't want to get lost in the semantics.
In kiting the rotation you're describing is considered a frontroll. A backroll is where your front foot and shoulder turn upwind.

I can jump cleanly off flat water. But I also experienced such unintended frontroll rotations if I'm jumping off chop or waves. I believe you need to pop more forcefully when you're jumping off a wave/chop. TBH I'm also still working on fixing this problem.

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: British Virgin Islands & Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:09 pm

AirConnolly wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:35 pm
nherbold wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:57 pm

That is the most common 'mistake' when first jumping high, but can be easily corrected.
Try to think of it this way. For small jumps you are not in the air long enough for air resistance to have a significant effect. This changes when jumping higher and the rotation is natural to occur as you push off the water and glide through the air. If you were standing sideways when you jumped (like pushing off the water rather than using pop-technic) the your front shoulder and arm will create more drag compared to your back shoulder, which will start to rotate you looking backwards.
To offset this you want to check out proper pop-technic and jump into your higher jumps, with your chest and shoulders facing more towards your travel direction.

Return to “Kitesurfing”