Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish Octopus female valve - again

Forum for kitesurfers
Bill C
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Naish Octopus female valve - again

Postby Bill C » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:06 pm

I have an older Naish Ride 6m kite I use infrequently, but still like the kite a lot when I need it and is in good shape. I've already replaced several valves on the kite with no problems. Went to pump the kite this summer and one of the female valves on a strut failed.

Never replaced a female valve before and this one was glued from the inside. I pulled it out thru the hole and pitched it. I read somewhere if I was going to apply a new valve, it should stick on the outside. I tried a valve that sticks from the inside and it's impossible to get a flat application.  I live in the US. Does anyone know where I can find female valves that stick on the outside?

Assuming I can get one, any tips on applying the valve on the end of the bladder which is basically a dome?

If I run into a deadend, I can buy a new strut from Airtime. They don't sell female valves because they are such a pain in the ass to apply, but I'd rather try and replace the valve. I also don't want to go thru the effort of isolating the strut bladder from the leading edge bladder. I just want to get it fixed.

I've never had an issue with the Octopus system until now. Good thing they changed the air inflation design.

Thanks for your help.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Naish Octopus female valve - again

Postby edt » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:16 pm

I thought the fixmykite female valves stuck on the outside and it's only the original naish valves that stuck on the inside but I could be wrong. If I had to stick one that only had inside sticky stuff I would make a tear aid donut, stick the valve to the donut and then apply that to the kite.

I'm never going back to the octopus. Unless it's a free kite then maybe.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
Bill C (Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:21 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Topaz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 150
Local Beach: South Florida
Gear: Cabrinha / North-Duotone

Postby Topaz » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:54 pm

I have a spare octopus female valve from FixMyKite and it glues from the inside. (bought about two years ago)

I still have two old octopus kites. A 8m Park and a 12m Ride, both of them out of service and waiting for me to take on the octopus again. Don't know if I'll ever do it.
I'm away from Octopus and Naish for the moment. I don't miss the octopus at all.
These users thanked the author Topaz for the post:
Bill C (Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:17 pm)

Bill C
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill C » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:42 pm

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll try another valve now that I know what to do.

Topaz
Frequent Poster

Postby Topaz » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:53 pm

A couple of years ago, I got an octopus strut replacement bladder from Airtime for $55. The bladder looked very good quality, the fitting was perfect, and the kite held air with no problem. The connection between the non-stock female valve with the stock male valve was good too. I saw that the material looked different from the original ones, so maybe the valves glue will last longer than the original.
Bill C (Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:38 am)

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Gigi;) » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:48 am

Females are hard ones to change well. I'd go for a new bladder, as you've wrote that you never did it.

M2C

Few links:

https://drtuba.eu/shop/product/naish-oc ... male-valve
https://drtuba.eu/bladders-valves/repla ... y/nsh_ride
These users thanked the author Gigi;) for the post:
Bill C (Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:12 pm)

Topaz
Frequent Poster

Postby Topaz » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:49 pm

Topaz wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:54 pm
I have a spare octopus female valve from FixMyKite and it glues from the inside. (bought about two years ago)
My bad! I was looking at the valve in the wrong directions. The octopus female valve that I got from FixMyKite has the TypeA in a way to be glued from the outside.
These users thanked the author Topaz for the post (total 2):
Bill C (Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:39 pm) • edt (Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:15 pm)
Rating: 13.33%

Bill C
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill C » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:54 pm

Topaz wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:49 pm
Topaz wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:54 pm
My bad! I was looking at the valve in the wrong directions. The octopus female valve that I got from FixMyKite has the TypeA in a way to be glued from the outside.
Thanks for clarifying. That's where I got turned around the first time. I thought the valve stem extended AWAY from the bladder, but the valve is mounted so the valve stem fits INSIDE the bladder so it receives the male valve. The FixMyKite replacement valve is applied to the outside of the bladder with the valve stem extending inside the bladder which is the proper way. People replacing female valves the first time should be aware.

Topaz
Frequent Poster

Postby Topaz » Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:22 pm

^^ Exactly.

I did realize too late. I actually applied the TypeA glue from the inside leaving the valve body sticking out of the bladder.
Surprisingly, I was able to take out the valve. I thought the TypeA would stick harder and made it impossible to pull it out.
After I took out the valve, the Type A glued section of the valve was folded, and it looked that it wouldn't stick again, so I cut out the TypeA section and I applied some Acquaseal on what it was left of the valve ring. I pressed it (from the outside this time) and let it overnight. So far it looks like it cured fine. I still have to re glue the deflating valve of the strut bladder before I can test this. Will post later with the results.
Bill C (Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:15 pm)

Topaz
Frequent Poster

Postby Topaz » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:43 pm

I couldn't glue the FixMyKite female valve from outside with aquaseal. I tried twice, but both times I couldn't avoid wrinkles that ended up in small leaks. The valve was the FixMyKite valve in which I had managed to ruin the TypeA section, so I tried to glue it with Aquaseal.
I successfully reglued several valves in the past, so I'm sure is not totally my fault. Getting that strut bladder tip flat gets tricky.

I did manage to fix a new FixMyKite female valve with TypeA. I tested the strut out of the kite and it seems to hold air well. I still have to put the strut in the kite and test the whole thing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”