How to check accuracy of Kite/Wing pump

Forum for kitesurfers
jonysan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth,
Gear: Naish Pivots and Slash, F-One Mitu 5'4, F-One Mitu 5'8, old Naish 5'4 Quad (like a guided missile!),
Brand Affiliation: None

How to check accuracy of Kite/Wing pump

Postby jonysan » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:57 pm

Hi, Maybe I'm being too OCD about this ? but, Is there a way of checking the accuracy of a pump. It's stated on my Wings that they 'require' between 7 to 9 psi, A 2 psi variance, seems a big ask for the gauge? or am I over-thinking things.
These users thanked the author jonysan for the post:
Archer77 (Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:42 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

Sun
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 15m Chrono V2
12m Hyperlink
12m, 10m, 8m m, 6m Dice (2018)
10m Roca V2
Reedin Kev Pro 136
Nobile XTR
Nobile Zen Split Foil Board
Zeeko Blaster, Spitfire (Normal & XLW)

Re: How to check accuracy of Kite/Wing pump.

Postby Sun » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:16 pm

Overthinking. Pump until hard. Too soft is easy to tell: kite or wing will lose shape. Too hard is past that, so keep it in the middle. It helps that with most pumps by the time you get to 6 psi or so it takes about 75 lbs to push the pump, so right about when it gets difficult to pump you can stop.

For what it is worth, I pump my 12m Dice (6psi recommendation) to about 8 psi. Kite has been fine for years. Don’t sweat it.
These users thanked the author Sun for the post:
Archer77 (Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:42 pm)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:17 pm

9 psi is a tad under 250inch of water column. You could get some tubing and a tape measure to make yourself a manometer and calibrate your gauge - ask a plumber!

Having said that I have been inflating kites for many years and never used a gauge but I fully understand your concern. Knowing the bore/area of the pump tells you how much force is required to achieve a certain pressure. This and knowing how a strut or LE should feel has been good enough for me. Comparing with other pumps might also be informative!

PS Clear tube and coloured water for manometer, psi to col inch on the Webb.
Last edited by Herman on Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:14 pm

Sun wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:16 pm
Overthinking. Pump until hard. Too soft is easy to tell: kite or wing will lose shape. Too hard is past that, so keep it in the middle. It helps that with most pumps by the time you get to 6 psi or so it takes about 75 lbs to push the pump, so right about when it gets difficult to pump you can stop.

For what it is worth, I pump my 12m Dice (6psi recommendation) to about 8 psi. Kite has been fine for years. Don’t sweat it.

Disagree hugely here.

Yes, for kites they "just" need to be sufficiently firm to not lose shape during hard loads or jumps or turns, roughly.
Relatively easy when one got some experience.

But for wings, no way it is sufficient to feel whether it is soft or not.

So many of the new wings needs a lot of pressure to perform max.
They are also extremely different in the leading edge "feel", as some are Aluula, others are like Duotone SLS, and others are like our old kite leading edges - they feel extremely different.
For a wing, stiffness is key in order to pump a wingfoil up in the low end.

And some other wings will almost explode if you pump to the pressure some wings can handle to be maxed in performance.

Those having tried wing'ing with a wing with even the smallest puncture, so it gets a tad soft, not much, know that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get up foiling now.
A huge difference.

Whereas with a kite, as long as it holds its shape okay, it delivers the same power.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Sun (Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:13 pm)

CaptainKook
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, Surf
Gear: 7, 9, 12

Re: How to check accuracy of Kite/Wing pump

Postby CaptainKook » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:14 am

This thread is moving off kite topic........Can we move this to the WingerDing Ding forum

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:41 pm

They recommend 7 to 9
So pump at 8 using gauge on pump and play safe
That way if pump gauge error is 0.5 then you'll be at 7.5 or 8.5 still good
You could pump at 9 and in truth it is 9.5 which might be too much for the LE seams stitching

Also double or triple check your pump PSI values with one or two other pump gauges from friends

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:57 pm

Here's something useful:

If you have a pump with a pressure guage, take the damn thing off, and it becomes much easier to pump up the kite.

If you have no idea what the correct pressure is, then leave the guage on, but eventually you will figure it out, and you won't need the guage.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:22 am

There's a huge difference between 7 psi and 9 psi you'll notice it even if the meter is wrong. If you press against your wing 7 psi feels pretty soft sort of like a bologna and 9 psi feels tight like an orange. I don't know of any way to calibrate a hand pump gauge unfortunately. You know if you get to 10psi because that's about as hard as a hand pump can go, after that you won't be able to push it down easily without extra weight.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:12 am

It's important how you read the gauge and what sort of valves you have. Most gauges are reading the pressure in the tube you're pumping. If you're not pumping then there's no pressure. If you're pumping hard at the time then the pressure is high.

Some kites/wings have internal valves with a spring and a plastic nozzle that holds the valve open. Notionally you're measuring the pressure in the bladder. I doubt the system is air tight enough for that to be reliable.

What I do is pump up until the gauge is reading something like the required pressure. I then do a series of smooth steady pumps and read the pressure on the in pump and out pump. If the number looks ok then it probably is. I usually finish off with a ping of the leading edge to make sure.

Pressure is much more important for wings. For kites I just pump nice and hard, ping and go.

Wing bladders are much bigger than kite bladders and wings are much more fragile. To get to a high pressure in a big bladder then you need a shedload of air. My 4m wing takes more pumps than my 12m kite. If you over pump things are not going to end up nicely. Larger wings in particular need to be fairly low pressure. The ping is more of a thud in that case.

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Catalyst V1 12m, 9m, 7m (selling them)
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m

Postby Archer77 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:13 am

take in consideration this too
Attachments
Screenshot_20220812-154857_YouTube.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”