Kite Foil Quiver for a heavy guy

Forum for kitesurfers
diogoveb
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Kite Foil Quiver for a heavy guy

Postby diogoveb » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:52 am

Hi,

I have 110kg and am currently riding my hydrofoil on Peaks 03, 04, 05, 06 and 08.

Now I am considering one or two new kitefoil sizes for lower winds. What about a Peak 11 and a Pulsion 15? Any other suggestions? Tks.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: Kite Foil Quiver for a heavy guy

Postby leeuwen » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:41 am

I would recommend to think about what type of riding you will be doing in low winds.
e.g. often there aren't much waves in sub 10 knots and even if there are: going downwind on a wave will crash your kite no matter how light it is in marginal conditions.
So having a very big single skin that mostly excels in riding waves or being small&fun (not applicable in 11m) doesn't really make sense to me...

So I would rather go with a dual skin kite and focus on going fast/jumping or learning tricks which are easier with some lift from the kite.
Regarding sizing: it is a bit of a trade-off. 15M on a foil is quite big and slow.
I am a bit lighter (75-80kg) so I am not the best to give you advice but from what I see on the beach is that the extra few m2 don't add that much on the low end but do cut hard in the top end.
Especially if you don't like to ride powered a 12/13m might be a better choice where you maybe lose a single knot in the low end but add quite a few knots at the top end.

Regarding the specific kite: many options from many brands seem to make good foil kites including: conceptair/flysurfer/ozone/fone/kauperxt/gin/sky country

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:05 am

Hi
assuming you got a big foil (wave).
Getting a bigger Peak has no use, I recently got a 8m besides my 3,4,5 and 11m Peak. The 8m is way better then the 11m, don't know the 13m but it is stated somewhere that it is somewhat better then the 11m.
For sub 10 kts you need twin skin foils, and preferable a faster frontwing, but you could start with a twinskin first..
In 6 kts I can fly with a 12m Soul and big frontwing, but it's more fun with faster frontwings at 7 - 10 kts
It will be a total different foiling experience, going fast in flat water is nice.. but it will cost some bucks.. fast frontwing and bigger faster twinskins, at least a 13m for 12kts and a 18m for the sub 10 i guess.. perhaps the racefoilers can advice here.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:15 am

I personally go up in foil size not kite size.

Leeuwen: plenty of places with conditions that are not what you describe, but it definitely a good idea to think through how you want to ride... :-)

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:08 pm

I have no experience with the Peaks very few people use them here but there is a lot of foiling going on due to the light wind we get. Lots of bigger riders I have noticed that foiling is the great equalizer heavy riders usually use pretty much the same kite size as smaller ones. The key thing is the skills as you get better if you have a large wing you need less kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”