Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

buying new stuff - quality, satisfaction etc?

Forum for kitesurfers
1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting
Brand Affiliation: None

buying new stuff - quality, satisfaction etc?

Postby 1234567Simon » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:43 am

Hi Guys,

Disclaimer: I might be super picky....
Maybe I am looking for the Hair in the soup....

But hey..... Usually if I buy new stuff, and I recieve the package I am disapointed:
- new Board has a little Ding
- new Kite is packed super Bad, and full of Wrinkels
- harness probably was the Demo harness in the Shop
- screws do not fit perfect.
- finbox is either super tight, or super loose.
- graphics on product are printed/ painted Bad .
- new bar: lines are Not Same length.......
Mostly small Things, that can be fixed, and actually do Not really matter for the Performance. (Scratch on the Back of the new iPhone 18 for 1200 Euros actually does not matter)

Especially in kiting by now I really dislike Brand new stuff - IT IS Always Something wrong.....

question: Is it Just me? Am I too picky? Is it just Bad luck?
Last edited by 1234567Simon on Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Re: buying new stuff - quality, satisfaction......??

Postby Havre » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:49 am

The new normal. Astonishing how little most people care - having some pride in what you do is now not valued. It's baffling.

Which is why I'm extremely loyal to companies/people who actually do care.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:
1234567Simon (Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:24 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:06 am

Havre wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:49 am
The new normal. Astonishing how little most people care - having some pride in what you do is now not valued. It's baffling.

I completely agree. I've always thought it's a symptom of getting older though.. But I am (still..?) always really glad receiving new stuff and ready to forgive minor issues as long as they're esthetical. Probably Simon1234567 is even older than I.. :lol:
These users thanked the author Pemba for the post:
1234567Simon (Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:24 am)

Ventum
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Slufter/Maasvlakte - Netherlands
Gear: Kites - Ventum Xcite & Xplore
Boards - Joyrider & Karma
Bar - Tough Bar
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Ventum Kiteboarding

Postby Ventum » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:29 am

Aside from the 'kite is full of wrinkles' thats not how you should feel when receiving any purchase and if you write your supplier a mail without being too offensive I guess they would do something with it.
Wrinkles in the canopy cant be avoided during production and can only be taken out if we would iron the kite before packing.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:40 am

Pemba wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:06 am
Havre wrote:

I completely agree. I've always thought it's a symptom of getting older though.. But I am (still..?) always really glad receiving new stuff and ready to forgive minor issues as long as they're esthetical. Probably Simon1234567 is even older than I.. :lol:
Yeah. I don't really care much about aesthetics either. Sometimes I even get annoyed if "simple" product has fancy packaging etc. Seems like such a waste (Japanese candy is excluded as they clearly have a culture for ridiculous packaging). But - I still think you should do things right. And aesthetics might be a "proxy" for how the OEM see the whole product. If you sell something with pride most people like the product to be presented in a good way.

The same way if you own a restaurant you line up the tables, you make sure there is soap in the bathroom etc. Might not be important stuff in the overall picture - but please show that you care!

I'm not sure if things were better before, but things are clearly not good now (on average - there are obviously exemptions).

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:56 am

Havre wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:40 am
Pemba wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:06 am
Havre wrote:

Yeah. I don't really care much about aesthetics either. Sometimes I even get annoyed if "simple" product has fancy packaging etc. Seems like such a waste (Japanese candy is excluded as they clearly have a culture for ridiculous packaging). But - I still think you should do things right. And aesthetics might be a "proxy" for how the OEM see the whole product. If you sell something with pride most people like the product to be presented in a good way.

The same way if you own a restaurant you line up the tables, you make sure there is soap in the bathroom etc. Might not be important stuff in the overall picture - but please show that you care!

I'm not sure if things were better before, but things are clearly not good now (on average - there are obviously exemptions).

I get even more annoyed with people. Systematically arriving late to an appointment, doing 90% of a job (badly done) in stead of 100% (for a job wel done) etc. Not even out of laziness but because nobody actually cares. I might have "issues".. but I really appreciate those that do care, including companies and am easily prepared to pay extra for that.
These users thanked the author Pemba for the post:
Havre (Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:01 am)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: buying new stuff - quality, satisfaction etc?

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:20 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:43 am
Hi Guys,

Disclaimer: I might be super picky....
Maybe I am looking for the Hair in the soup....

But hey..... Usually if I buy new stuff, and I recieve the package I am disapointed:
- new Board has a little Ding
- new Kite is packed super Bad, and full of Wrinkels
- harness probably was the Demo harness in the Shop
- screws do not fit perfect.
- finbox is either super tight, or super loose.
- graphics on product are printed/ painted Bad .
- new bar: lines are Not Same length.......
Mostly small Things, that can be fixed, and actually do Not really matter for the Performance. (Scratch on the Back of the new iPhone 18 for 1200 Euros actually does not matter)

Especially in kiting by now I really dislike Brand new stuff - IT IS Always Something wrong.....

question: Is it Just me? Am I too picky? Is it just Bad luck?
- that's crap
- mmm not sure
- that's bullshit
- are you sure?
- that's crap. I got a surfboard like that and was deeply unimpressed that some fins weren't snug in the box.
- depends...
- unacceptable.

Shouldn't have to fix brand new gear. That's the whole reason for buying ... brand new gear.
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
1234567Simon (Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:05 pm)

Return to “Kitesurfing”