Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Upwind on a Directional Board

Forum for kitesurfers
purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Upwind on a Directional Board

Postby purdyd » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:32 pm

One thing that has changed is strap placement. It has moved back and I think you just might have to ride with the back foot out of the strap.

So a 2018 slingshot board you put the straps on and ride in both.
92ED699A-CA87-4957-A983-6A2A979A45B4.jpeg
The newer boards I see that back strap way back.
F0528FD5-FD64-4B09-B561-473B7B6A44B7.jpeg
I suspect that since the windsurfers who became kite surfers are dying off, that you are seeing this change. :o

This has nothing to do with the OP as he says he is riding with only a front strap.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:56 pm

Uaaak as Donald Duck says....

One front strap only I would strongly avoid, NOT recommended.

I have seen one or two only, over the many years, riding like this - and I dont get it...

The risk of getting an injury while being aggressive in the waves, or when flying in the air out over heavy breakers, is huge compared to two straps where you can also ride and slash waves harder.

On a board like the mentioned, there arent any advantages NOT having the rear strap for waveriding.

8) Peter

alpaia
Medium Poster
Local Beach: monteynard
Favorite Beaches: kerhiilio almanarre leucate
Style: relaxed
Gear: naish kites diy boards

Postby alpaia » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:11 pm

You are using a rockered board with narrow tail, with strap placement that seem adequate for riding powered up / in waves.

That will be far less efficient accelerating and upwind than a board with flatter rocker and parallel outline, like "modern" tomo shapes, used strapless.

Try your board strapless and see if you find a better position, more forward even a little bit helps with pushing less water and engaging rail & fin.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:27 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:56 pm
Uaaak as Donald Duck says....

One front strap only I would strongly avoid, NOT recommended.

I have seen one or two only, over the many years, riding like this - and I dont get it...

The risk of getting an injury while being aggressive in the waves, or when flying in the air out over heavy breakers, is huge compared to two straps where you can also ride and slash waves harder.

On a board like the mentioned, there arent any advantages NOT having the rear strap for waveriding.

8) Peter

Yeah for sure. 2 straps or no straps. I told my buddy this and he disregarded it for a long time and ended up injuring his ankle severely after having the backfoot slip while locked in on a wave.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:17 am

I wouldnt try to ride it strapless to find a better front foot position.

I have had his boards since 2006, either standard or customized for my liking, and also ridden other boards.

So have lots of experience - rider weight can influence slightly yes, but not much for footstrap positions.

The front strap can be moved a bit, but mostly for personal liking as we are all a bit different.
Doesnt make sense to move it much, as there are a certain point where it just WORKS :thumb:

If too far forward, a board will feel odd bouncing on the rail in fast bottom turns, if too far rear you will miss glide when surfing a wave.
Very important to find this sweet spot - but most often it fits with the std center or forward inserts on these boards.

But wont it be better upwind more forward?
No, as you will balance on the wrong part of the rail, you have to stand with rear foot further forward and a more narrow stance, and you have the best upwind style.

Rear straps has been too far forward for "centuries" (okay, maybe not but you get the idea), luckily they have gotten mounted correctly on some boards and brands now like on this one, great.
Strapped waveriding needs a very rear backstrap for full engagement in the curl, otherwise it doesnt work (except for beginners maybe)
Can it be too far back?
Yes, you will know when too far back, as then you will stall the tail into the wave/curl when you push hard.
It should work so you can push as much as you can, without having the tail "brake", but still dig in and spray max :naughty:

I dont ride strapless anymore, no advantages and not appealing for me, so can not comment on this - but straps I have 16 years of experience on these very boards.
And other boards, but I have reverted to these boards, always.
Not saying I am right, just my experiences with straps, and friends riding boards like these.

The strap positions are the same both in knee high small waves, as well as big waves, no difference.

Some like a board like yours with a narrow rockered tail for small waves, as you can really turn on a dime and "embrace" the curl full on, just feels good :D
The price is you need to be more powered, or go slower upwind if not, and less glide.
Others like flatter boards, wider, for smaller waves - individual and everything works, just what you prefer.

You can also use bigger fins for a bit better upwind, but at some point it feels wrong when bottom turning at speed - you can feel when its wrong, fins starts to feel to lift instead of a clean smooth carve with the rails.

Bachschuster

8) Peter

white boy
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 70
Local Beach: Half Moon Bay - Eastern Province, Saudi Arabia
Style: Directional Boards
Gear: RRD Ace (5'2") & RRD Barracuda (5'8") & Jamie Textreme. Duotone Neo 9 SLS , Evo 12 SLS, Juice 15 DLAB

Postby white boy » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:53 pm

Many thanks for your comments....much appreciated.....

One thing I did overlook was being overpowered and blown downwind...

With the surfboard and the 15m DLAB this can happy quite easily...particularly with the gusty uneven offshore thermal winds we get here...

I went out with a 12m was overpowered, switched to a 9m Neo and had no problem going upwind with the Barracuda....

Ant

Return to “Kitesurfing”