Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

any suggestions for kite in/out accommodations in Cabarete, DM and/or Maxwell Beach in Barbados

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
Jim Dunn
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 180
Local Beach: squamish
Style: big air
Gear: ocean rodeo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

any suggestions for kite in/out accommodations in Cabarete, DM and/or Maxwell Beach in Barbados

Postby Jim Dunn » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:56 pm

My wife and I would really appreciate any suggestions for kite in/out accommodations in Cabarete, DM and/or Maxwell Beach in Barbados
We will be on a 3 week vacation Feb & March 2023 so don't mind paying a bit more.
My wife does no wind sports so we need a place were she can walk from the accommodations to the launch in front. I have done allot of research and in the Caribbean it seems to boil down to these 2 Islands, Turks & Caicos,Cayman Islands and St Lucia (the last few may be prohibitively expensive??)
I am also hoping for 20 kt + wind.
Any other suggestions?
We also want to take regular November vacations. Do you know anything about Sicily?
Thanks
Jim & Celia dunnjr.1@telus.net

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: any suggestions for kite in/out accommodations in Cabarete, DM and/or Maxwell Beach in Barbados

Postby Toby » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:13 pm

Cabarete should be fine in that time. Several nice places. See if you prefer kite beach, a bit away from town, but flatter spot, or Bozo Beach, next to the center, with more waves and chop. But walking distance from center, where you would normally go and dine etc.

Millenium is a nice place so is the condo resort next to it (Ocean Dream).
And if you like all in, then go to Wyndham.

But, I haven't been for a while...see what else is available.

Sicily I don't know...but November sounds colder...and not sure if winds are good...check stats. November normally Brazil is the best...

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: any suggestions for kite in/out accommodations in Cabarete, DM and/or Maxwell Beach in Barbados

Postby Flyboy » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:04 pm

Jim: the places you list are all very different from each other. T & C and Caymans are bland, expensive, "Americanized", with beautiful beaches and flat water. St. Lucia is a beautiful Island & a good bet for stronger wind at that time of year, but direct water access is limited to a couple of resorts and the the water conditions there are choppy - neither waves nor flat (although there are more remote spots with those). Barbados is quite "English", more developed and expensive. Direct water access is harder to come by. It's quite reliably windy at that time of year & probably the best bet for waves. Cabarete has very convenient direct water access at a wide range of accommodations. Prices are lower than the other places you mention. It does not have flat water but chop and waves. The wind at that time of year is most often in the 15 - 18 knot range. It is lively and sociable with a great "walking beach" and lots of restaurants and bars to choose from and more integration with the "local culture".

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:31 pm

Been to Cabarete several times that time of year. Very hit and miss. One year I was there for almost 4 weeks and kites 6 times. Other years it has been more. First time I was there had wind almost every day. And when I say wind I mean more than 15 knots. Below it is tricky to get going with the shore break and chop (kite beach is better in really low wind, but I much prefer Bozo in general - more space and some decent “ramps” for jumping).

Don’t know the other places. Been to Guadeloupe and Martinique in that same area. In Martinique you can stay next to the spot, but not all that great. Cabarete is better. Guadeloupe I did walk from the village to the spot, but that is quite a walk. Nice place, but weak wind.

Southern Europe in general isn’t great in November. Don’t really know where you would go. If you want a “fixed” destination for November you can’t beat Brazil in my opinion.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:00 pm

I've been many times to Cabarete, starting in 1987. Wind anywhere can vary from week to week and year to year. I've kept a log on my past few winter trips to Cabarete and the stats are (more or less): 20% little or no wind, 20% wind 10 - 14 knot range, 40% wind 14 - 18 knot range, 20% wind 18 - 22 knot range. If you're foiling that's 80% useable wind. On a TT it would depend on your weight and your kite sizes. Some days the wind may only kick in for a couple of hours before sunset.

The bottom line is that wind in the Caribbean in the winter tends to be more reliable further south (and east). Strong cold fronts from the north tend to disrupt the trade winds in the northern Caribbean. Cabarete has a decent thermal effect which kicks the wind up a few knots, but if the trades are dead there won't be good wind in Cabarete (or anywhere else in the general area).

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:28 pm

Cabarete is far from "luxury caribbean". If you are looking for nuclear blue waters and beautiful resorts with delicious/expensive restaurants then look elsewhere. I love cabarete but my wife will not go. That being said the wind is usually good, the surf is excellent for regular surfing every morning, it's super cheap, good party scene.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:33 pm

To answer to actual question: In Cabarete Villa Taina is great place to stay. Perfect location walkable to everything and launch right out front, can rent gear right there, live music, outdoor tiki bar/restaurant, massages, yoga studio etc. Highly recommended, cheap too!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:46 pm

RadDrDuke wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:28 pm
Cabarete is far from "luxury caribbean". If you are looking for nuclear blue waters and beautiful resorts with delicious/expensive restaurants then look elsewhere. I love cabarete but my wife will not go. That being said the wind is usually good, the surf is excellent for regular surfing every morning, it's super cheap, good party scene.
Sad that your wife "won't go" - my wife likes it there - but I understand why someone might be uncomfortable there.

"Luxury" is a slippery concept. Cabarete has some very luxurious accommodations and some pretty good restaurants. It's not Mustique, however. I think the distinguishing characteristic of Cabarete is that it is probably the most "integrated" kitesurfing spot in the Caribbean - Dominicans are part of the kiting/surfing scene and the daily life in Cabarete in a way that the locals are not in "luxury Caribbean". That's what gives it its unique character. The thing that remains really problematic is the ongoing insanity on the roads.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster

Postby RadDrDuke » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:05 pm

Well it's a third world country driving through Sosua and the water is murky in Caberete, so if you don't kite it's not a particularly appealing vibe. But I personally love it and go on all my guys trips there.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:20 pm

In Cabarete Ocean Dreams and Nany's Estate are nice. In Barbados I don't think you can kite at Maxwell beach unless there is a storm messing up the wind. The normal wind is from the east and would be offshore. The kiting beach are south of the island Silver Sand and Silver Rock they are small and it's for advanced kiters. It's kind of a poor neighbourhood so maybe not the best for your wife. My spouse and I had no issues she walked around alone a lot but it can be scary a bit. There is one nice hotel right on the spot. I would say Cabarete is a bit safer during the day since there's a lot more tourists and people around.

Return to “Travel”