Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Soul 1 vs Soul 2

For all foil kite riders
User avatar
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 pm
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 262 times
Contact:

Re: Soul 1 vs Soul 2

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:13 am

biggest difference is the new TX fabric on the Soul2. it’s a little stiffer so the kite holds its shape a little better especially during slack line drift. also the wing tips are slightly changed, more rounded if i remember correctly. overall the v2 is a little better but it’s not a huge jump in performance. imo not really worth the upgrade unless your Soul1 is really starting to show its age.

if you are thinking of getting one though i’d recommend the Soul2 unless you find a super deal on thr V1. the tax fabric will last longer and the little tweaks are nice.

User avatar
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 pm
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 262 times
Contact:

Re: Soul 1 vs Soul 2

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am

Here's a vid where I lay the two out so you can see the changes yourself. Again its more of a progression improvement not a huge change say like Sonic2-3


User avatar
vanart
Medium Poster
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:45 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Soul 1 vs Soul 2

Postby vanart » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:02 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:13 am
biggest difference is the new TX fabric on the Soul2. it’s a little stiffer so the kite holds its shape a little better especially during slack line drift. also the wing tips are slightly changed, more rounded if i remember correctly. overall the v2 is a little better but it’s not a huge jump in performance. imo not really worth the upgrade unless your Soul1 is really starting to show its age.

if you are thinking of getting one though i’d recommend the Soul2 unless you find a super deal on thr V1. the tax fabric will last longer and the little tweaks are nice.
I somewhat agree with you but only half way!
You are right the new TX Light fabric is most likely better and it has a claim of 30% more durable - well time will tell,
However, if you notice the new soul 2 is lighter but the new TX fabric is heavier how is it possible?
Some of the internal structure has been shaved off. So afterall it is arguable that the new Soul will hold the shape better, and on the first page of this topic there is a guy who complains that his Soul 2 always do an invert where his Soul 1 never seen doing that!
P.S. are you/ were you not a Flysurfer Ambasador!?

User avatar
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 pm
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 262 times
Contact:

Re: Soul 1 vs Soul 2

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:05 pm

vanart wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:02 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:13 am
biggest difference is the new TX fabric on the Soul2. it’s a little stiffer so the kite holds its shape a little better especially during slack line drift. also the wing tips are slightly changed, more rounded if i remember correctly. overall the v2 is a little better but it’s not a huge jump in performance. imo not really worth the upgrade unless your Soul1 is really starting to show its age.

if you are thinking of getting one though i’d recommend the Soul2 unless you find a super deal on thr V1. the tax fabric will last longer and the little tweaks are nice.
I somewhat agree with you but only half way!
You are right the new TX Light fabric is most likely better and it has a claim of 30% more durable - well time will tell,
However, if you notice the new soul 2 is lighter but the new TX fabric is heavier how is it possible?
Some of the internal structure has been shaved off. So afterall it is arguable that the new Soul will hold the shape better, and on the first page of this topic there is a guy who complains that his Soul 2 always do an invert where his Soul 1 never seen doing that!
P.S. are you/ were you not a Flysurfer Ambasador!?
The fabric isn't only stiffer, but it is also stronger so that's why you don't need as much internal support. Also if you look the "published" weights, they are VERY close together weight wise but real world weighing usually shows the Soul2 is still a little heavier. I think perhaps FS fudged the numbers slightly. Also I sure wouldn't base my judgment on one person's experience when there are thousands of Soul2's out there. If that was a real issue across the line people would definitely know about it. I think he might have a bridle issue or possibly internal damage.

When it comes down to it, the V2 is a better kite but again not by that much. I most likely 4 line slack these souls more than most with my hydrofoiling style and the Soul2 does hold it's shape better when drifitng(with both my 6m and 8m). I haven't flown a larger size in awhile so I can't comment on that.

I am a Flysurfer Ambassador but I'm known for "giving it straight" and not sugar coating anything(check out so far what i've said about the new hybrid). I don't get any financial gain out of any of this. My drive is just to share the stoke of foil kites, try to give as much information as I can about what I ride since many times it's hard to even demo these kites, and I try to give some education to those who are transitioning from LEI to foil. I've stuck with FS because they have treated me extremely well for any after sales support and I usually really enjoy what they produce.
downunder wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:22 am
I have both, 10m v1 and v2.

And have a problem with v2. When I crash it, in a split second catches the wind and inverts. Now, never ever in 2 years with v1 the kite inverted on me.
With v2, every single sesh the kite inverts. Sometimes even 2 times in a sesh.
Thats related to my kiting, doing a lot of 360 rotations, sometimes 720, so I crash. But, when the kite dives and touches water, in that moment LE will catch wind. And that's it.
For sure it's my fault, but, why v1 did not catch the wind that fast? No idea. Some kites just do their own thing.

Other than that the kite is pretty much the same, jumps are the same, behaves exactly like new v1.
Maybe, I did my jump PB yesterday. It was high on 25kn.
The other rider (active on this forum), was on 12m OR Aluula. I was way higher than him, I think. He is expert rider.
Imo that says something about the 12m Aluula too. Both are expensive kites, however, will one develop issues more than another?
Maybe, depends on riding style and number of sessions. I hate to say but all my problems with v1 started after the kite was drowned with zillion L of water.
Pulling the kite through water like an anchor definitely killed it. Can it be fixed? Not sure. Rider here is using FS Psycho, drowned it many may times, and the
kite is still ok. Put this into perspective, I watched this rider to relaunch his Psycho for 1 hour, in ocean wash. What would that do to the Soul? But then, maybe
he is expert in the mixer tuning ;)

Hope this helps.

PS
v1 with the bag is 2.2kg, v2 with a bag is 2.6kg
Can you get a video of this inverting, I'm trying to picture this in my head. Is the whole wing flipping or just partially? That's strange. What kills these Souls and basically most of the newer foil kites is the seams start really leaking. The fabric is so air/water tight, the only place for it to go is through there. Where the Psycho fabric especially by now would be very porous, so the water can leak out easier. Also less intakes on the older design so less water ingested. Good way to check is inflate the kite on the ground, put soapy water around the seams at the wing tips, and push down on the kite. You should easily see where it's coming out at.

User avatar
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2687
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:16 am
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Perth, Australia
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 142 times

Re: Soul 1 vs Soul 2

Postby downunder » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:36 pm

^v2 porous? After 10h ?

the Ozone R1 used to catch the wind and horribly collapse, all documented. Vids are on yt, it was a big thing 2y ago.

Similar thing. Inverts and thats it. Good luck with fixing that on water.

Re Psycho, my point was even that old kite was flying well. We cant know how many hours one has, how good the fabric is.

Sorry, but riding an 6 or 8 has nothing to do with 10 or 12 or 15. Or even bigger sizes.

Just ask yourself how many L of water goes into 6m and 10 or 12? Ther were a number of rescues Ive seen with drowned kites. So there you go.

V2 is a good kite. My problem with it is what Im experiencing. Might never happen with 6 or 8.
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
vanart (Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:53 pm)
Rating: 3.13%

Allarounder
Rare Poster
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:03 pm
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Gear: Flysurfer soul 10m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Soul 1 vs Soul 2

Postby Allarounder » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:10 am

Try to check your mixer tunings.
I have the issue on my 10 v1 . After a jump or trick , preferably with loop , the kite will sometimes shoot towards the upper edge of the window , and if not stopping it by pulling the bar and redirecting hem ,
The kite will flip and get inverted .
These users thanked the author Allarounder for the post:
downunder (Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:04 am)
Rating: 3.13%

User avatar
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 pm
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 262 times
Contact:

Re: Soul 1 vs Soul 2

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:26 am

downunder wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:36 pm
^v2 porous? After 10h ?

the Ozone R1 used to catch the wind and horribly collapse, all documented. Vids are on yt, it was a big thing 2y ago.

Similar thing. Inverts and thats it. Good luck with fixing that on water.

Re Psycho, my point was even that old kite was flying well. We cant know how many hours one has, how good the fabric is.

Sorry, but riding an 6 or 8 has nothing to do with 10 or 12 or 15. Or even bigger sizes.

Just ask yourself how many L of water goes into 6m and 10 or 12? Ther were a number of rescues Ive seen with drowned kites. So there you go.

V2 is a good kite. My problem with it is what Im experiencing. Might never happen with 6 or 8.
Reread what I wrote. I said the Psycho's fabric has to be really porous by now unless it's been recoated(which might be likely if the guy is still riding it). They were known to lose their airtightness really quickly. Frankly I'm surprised that you got a Soul2 since I remember you did quite a lot of bitching and moaning when the V1 came out lol

If she inverts have you tried flagging out on the safety and resetting it on the water? Id check your A level on the mixer as well. With the long mixer test it's pretty easy to get it close to flying straight. Also I'm sure a dealer would help sort you out if you asked nicely and are close to one.

BTW I've own the Soul 6,8,10, and 15 so I kinda know the range pretty well lol

User avatar
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2687
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:16 am
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Perth, Australia
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 142 times

Re: Soul 1 vs Soul 2

Postby downunder » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:24 am

Owning and riding for 100-200h is not the same.

Unless your life is just kiting. I own Ozones, it does not make me Ozone expert.

Check what OP wrote:
"Besides the marketing hype and some obscure and strange reviews on the youtube "new sportier colors of S2"

Its a hype. If is not, there would be many riders out there but guess what? There are almost none in here. The US might fall on a hype, but not Aussies, no. Aussies are much more grounded.

Ill sell my v2, its not worth my time and effort. But v1 I wont coz it would not be fair to a buyer.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1390
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:25 pm
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 154 times
Been thanked: 233 times

Re: Soul 1 vs Soul 2

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:03 pm

I have inverted my 10m Soul 1. Just once. Was surprised at the time. In my case I overflew in a gybe, it dropped back, landed belly down and then caught enough wind to start to relaunch inverted. From memory it sorted out pretty quickly into a common bowtie after I panicked and started hauling on a single steering line (was absolutely convinced that the kite was going to tear or something at the time).

After a few minutes of pulling random lines got it relaunched again from the bowtie. Was surprised to get it back in the air again but I had at least 10 knots of wind and although the lines were inverted I could get back upwind to where I started and land the kite again. Was pleased that I managed to more or less get this sorted without any conscious plan - except for one wing tip which was wrapped so I deliberately landed on that tip and then swam at the kite to get that to untangle.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
downunder (Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:11 pm)
Rating: 3.13%

User avatar
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 pm
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 71 times
Been thanked: 262 times
Contact:

Re: Soul 1 vs Soul 2

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:19 pm

downunder wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:24 am
Owning and riding for 100-200h is not the same.

Unless your life is just kiting. I own Ozones, it does not make me Ozone expert.

Check what OP wrote:
"Besides the marketing hype and some obscure and strange reviews on the youtube "new sportier colors of S2"

Its a hype. If is not, there would be many riders out there but guess what? There are almost none in here. The US might fall on a hype, but not Aussies, no. Aussies are much more grounded.

Ill sell my v2, its not worth my time and effort. But v1 I wont coz it would not be fair to a buyer.
lol how funny how much you backpedal on everything. FYI I usually average 50 hours of kiting pretty easily a month. I’ve own and ridden several sizes of each foil kite from FS for almost a decade now. While I wouldn’t call myself an expert, I do know what I’m talking about and I’ve always been straight with everything. I don’t hype or sugarcoat.

Don’t talk to me about Aussies lol, I know all I need to with how they dealt with Covid which I had first hand experience with. I doubt you’ll sell your V2 just like how you bitched and moaned awhile back about the V1(yet you bought another). I just love calling you on out on your BS.

I know what he originally wrote. Why I gave just the facts and why my videos actually compare the kites together so you can see the differences yourself and not just listen to what people say. As I’ve said many times. The V2 IS better but it’s not that much better. A progressive improvement, not a revolutionary improvement.


Return to “Foil Kites”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests