Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Core Sensor 2 bar safety question

Forum for kitesurfers
SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Core Sensor 2 bar safety question

Postby SpaceRacer » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:37 am

Hi, I know there are threads about this out there as in reading some of them brought this question to mind. If there is a thread about this and you can direct me to it that would be fine as well. My question is: After purchasing this bar several years ago with an 11m and 7m Section, when I performed a QR safety test to see how the bar and kite would react, the kite fell out of the sky and landed on its wingtip ready for relaunch with quite a bit of pull on it. I hadn’t thought much about this since and have not had to use the QR since owning the bar and kites but after reading some threads, it sounds like this setup is like a suicide setup? Which again I haven’t paid much attention to since I don’t ride unhooked. If this is the case, are there adapters or adjustments that can be made to insure a complete flag out upon a QR release? Thank you

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Core Sensor 2 bar safety question

Postby leeuwen » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:30 am

No, its not supposed to act like suicide setup.
Suicide mode does not flag out the kite when you unhook and let go of the bar. However it should still flag-out if you open the safety.

The core bar in its normal setup should flag out the kite when you unhook and let go of the bar (or pull the safety).
There is a somewhat known issue that sand can interfere where the pu-covered (white) line needs to go through a small ring above the depower clam cleat.
If sands blocks the line going through that ring it can block the safety feature and the bar cannot ride up the lines to flag out the kite.

Another point of contention is that Core still uses a 90-10% flag out system instead of full single line flag out.
IIRC Cores argument is that it will position the kite better after a release than a full single line flag out.
However, this is not anything like suicide mode.

Smeagle
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 14m

Best TS 7m, 9m, 12m, 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45
Flysurfer Flydoor V5 XL

Gong KiteFoil Curve MT / Fluid MT, Catch FSP 2X 4'8"

Gong Wing Droid V1 5m, SuperPower V1 7,5m
Gong WingFoil X-Over XXL, Gong Hipe First 6'6"
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Smeagle » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:43 pm

I don't know if they still have this, but when I last flew Core kite some years ago, they still used "Suspended Front Line Safety". There was only a few meters of flag out after release. It did not even worked with the 13,5m Core XR4 I was flying, it would not fully flag out on that bar. After release it wandered to edge of window, started again, flew to the other side and again and again. After that bad experience (I was still a beginner and was draged away very far in sideshore conditions until boat was able to catch up to me) I never considered Core again.

Check, how long will the bar flag out? Should be at least ~7..8 Meters, depending on the kite size you are using.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:06 pm

Didn't core used to use a mini-5th? There might be a core conversion kit, it depends on the year of the control bar. I would contact your nearest core dealer and ask about a conversion kit. I've converted a bunch of old mini-5ths to proper control bars but I fabricate all the parts I need.

mini-5th is when all that happens when you use the QR is that it lets the trim out, doesn't actually flag out the kite.

SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Postby SpaceRacer » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:35 pm

OK, thank you. And Smeagle, yes, this was sort of my experience although fortunately it was just during a test and not during an emergency. When I blew out of the QR during a test, the kite fell into the water and started to move to the edge of the window on its wingtip ready to relaunch again. I have had this bar for several years now; maybe 6 or 7. I guess I will check with my local dealer. Thank you!

CrazyFly official
Rare Poster
Gear: Hyper, Sculp, Raptor Extreme
Brand Affiliation: CrazyFly
Has thanked: 0

Postby CrazyFly official » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:58 pm

And that is why we have the V split 6m above the bar resulting in 6m flag out line that fully flags out all kite sizes without any compromise to safety. More info about our new bar is here: https://www.crazyflykites.com/savvy-bar

Return to “Kitesurfing”