Gear: This & that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Learning backroll

Postby SolarSet » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:56 am

Toby wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:40 am
SolarSet wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:20 pm
super large kite can be tricky when learning to ride off backroll as it needs a lot of steering input. When I was learning I had switchblade 10m and 14m it was easier for me to make first backrolls on 10m but on 14m I learnt first double backroll due to hang time. Anyway it's a fantastic feeling once you learn first backroll, moaning the lawn stop being so exciting afterall.
Nope, Backroll doesn’t need steering at all. See my videos.

Back 360 needs little steering, since you jump. And also as little as possible. With a slower kite it is easier to slowly get there, where you know how much and when you need to steer, safer than a fast kite which pulls fast forward. Harder crashes guaranteed when you find the feeling for steering.
Toby on your first video you are steering your front hand while you ending rotation... no steering input means you hand don't more during trick. You have done backroll some many time that that you don't even think what to do!
hookedcook wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:57 am
On a similar level. All I wanted to do is jump high. Can do it only one way, but jump. Am trying to get more diverse in kiting, I grew up wakeboarding so a backroll isn't a back roll unless its a pop, I nailed it a couple of times last session, then when I'm like ok you got this did some stupid power, find myself pulled the kite back hard through the power zone from 11 to??? in the opposite direction, Think the letting go of your rear hand is solid advise, try that next time out
Let go of rear hand while doing it! There is no need to have rear hand on bar unless you are adding kiteloop to backroll. Having rear hand off bar also helps with backroll hand drag or grabs during backroll

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:40 am

The best Backroll is if you don’t steer at all, that’s the goal.
Before popping you bring the kite in position, so it pulls a bit up, but still keeps flying forward.
Little adjustments can be needed when landing to habe enough speed to get out clean. Depending on power this might be even more.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:29 am

Toby wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:40 am
The best Backroll is if you don’t steer at all, that’s the goal.
Before popping you bring the kite in position, so it pulls a bit up, but still keeps flying forward.
Little adjustments can be needed when landing to habe enough speed to get out clean. Depending on power this might be even more.
I do it when i see a little wave in front of me , that i use as a ramp (wake style), perfect with a big foilkite that lifts and stay very stable, so very low altitude backrool. no kite steering (remains at 10h-11h). Pushed to the extreme : you can let the bar go, before jumping , and do the whole backroll hands free. :-). Ok with a foilkite. With a LEI you better have a slide stopper on depower rope. But very original to try :-)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:05 am

Yes, no handed a stopper is needed, or you are very very powered.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:12 pm

Toby wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:05 am
Yes, no handed a stopper is needed, or you are very very powered.
With a large high ratio foil kite you can do it without stopper since it still flies well and rapid even fully sheet in;

Strangley I "want " to catch the depower line with my hands , below the bar sheeted out , but I know it is useless ... just a matter of getting a similar sensation like if I hold something in the hands.

at 1:24 :

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:02 pm

Just do without hands, guess it is a habit.
Should be easy, but needs a free mind…less thinking.

Return to “Kitesurfing”