Weight: 107
Local Beach: Lancing Beach
Style: Averag
Gear: Ozone Torque V1
7,9 and 11m Rebel
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiting doesn't have to be expensive

Postby Si_DB » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:06 am

There are definitely some deals to be had but the cost of some of the new kites is now becoming unrealistic. My Rebels are 4 odd years old and whilst they are great kites I don’t feel that for someone of my skills they are much better than kites I had back in 2010. I remember paying 900 pounds for a 9 and 13m kite and bar delivered to my house. What is the cost of a new 13m from most brands now??

Looks like an amazing place to kite.

Simon

cor
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:28 am

Good post. Yes, kiting doesn't have to be expensive. I know a lot of "equipment kiters" who can't even do a normal backroll but always have the latest gear. They could easily do the same stuff with 10 year old gear. I would not buy any bar older than 2012 or 2013 though. I remember that there were a lot of improvements in terms of safety at that time. Also, you need to check the gear thoroughly, especially the lines and bridles.

nherbold
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: British Virgin Islands & Ilha do Guajiru, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ilha do Guajiru
Huntington Beach, California
Sherman Island, California
Crissy Fields, California,
Anegada, British Virgin Island
Style: Strapless & wakestyle/Freeride
Gear: Wainman (RIP)...

Postby nherbold » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:47 pm

robmccau wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:27 am
nherbold wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:19 pm

My favourite spot is in the background....it's not Brazil winds, but I'm not kiting on freezing chocolate milk either.
That made me chuckle, but in the spirit of this post, better kiting on freezing chocolate milk than not kiting at all, right?
nherbold wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:19 pm
Kiting = Therapy
So true. I have a sticker that says that on the back of my car. :-) I just wish the chocolate milk would warm up a little...
That's right!...luckily I live in the British Virgin Island half the year and the other half in Brazil, but if I was still in my native Holland for sure I'd be grabbing every and any session I could on the North Sea cold chocolate milk....and enjoy every minute of it :thumb:

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:25 pm

I love old gear! I mean max 15 years old. Kite development started to slow down then. Only prices are going higher :D
You can still have fun with older cheap kites and boards. Marketing BS keeps people buying new kites every year. New kites will give much better hang time, jump higher, loop better etc.. year after a year. Yeah sure. :D

TheRussian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, & Moses Hydrofoil

Postby TheRussian » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:09 am

Love it,,, the Mutant is superb & riding it strapless it should last forever- yes its the Mark Shinn version not Flash - I have both 😁

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:23 am

While old kites can be good, material does get old.

I ride my kite tilmit dies, them I grab a newer one, and it does make a difference...I jump higher and longer. It's just more powerful.

And I am happy soemof us can afford new gear, while some of us can't.
The rich help the poor, ithetwiae some of us wouldn't be able to kite.

And I know that many times people give their used kites as gifts to poor locals in poor countries. Always great.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:23 am

cor wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:28 am
Good post. Yes, kiting doesn't have to be expensive. I know a lot of "equipment kiters" who can't even do a normal backroll but always have the latest gear. They could easily do the same stuff with 10 year old gear. I would not buy any bar older than 2012 or 2013 though. I remember that there were a lot of improvements in terms of safety at that time. Also, you need to check the gear thoroughly, especially the lines and bridles.
You do know that £100 back in 2010 is currently £165? Before we all start moaning how everything is more expensive now please check your paycheck in 2010 and compare it to how much you earn now, my nett salary increase 100% in last 12 years.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:06 am

"kiting" can done @ under $100
- people give away old C kites
- you can get a harness for under $50 or make a climbing harness out of 10$ belt
- you can make your own board out of plywood for $50 (see Kevins vlog) or ride boogie board
- you can kite with Ikea bag or umbrella instead of a kite (can find proofs on instagram if needed)
- you can do w/o a wetsuit, drysuit, rush guard, etc because you are a superman or polar bear.. or live in tropics...

just because you can, does not mean - you should..
that board that won KOTA 20 years ago will not win anything in 2023,just like a plywood board, ikea bag or belt harness...
Its a gear sport..
Sure you can do lawn mowing in a pond on a mild day with any gear.. but it's dumb to save money going out in serious condiotions (wind and water) or pushing for serious height /speed with 10-20 year old kite/bar or a board..
If you push the limits (both high and low ends) or want to get the most out of your sessions- you need upto date and expensive stuff..

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:50 am

Kiting doesn’t have to be expensive.

More true than ever! The used market of today is flooded with truly excellent modern designs both kites and boards at affordable prices. In times past the used market was flooded with absolute crap outdated designs, but that is changed now.
The $100 mark is a bit ridiculous, but under $1000 total for everything needed is still very cheap for a sport that does require gear. What can be had for under $1000 total these days, for a full set up, can be excellent if chosen wisely. This should open the sport to a lot more people, if they can find the time (a commodity that is still priceless).
These users thanked the author Greenturtle for the post:
jyka (Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:38 am)
Rating: 3.13%

Return to “Kitesurfing”