Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

You might want to check the pads screws on your 2023 Shinn board...

Forum for kitesurfers
alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

You might want to check the pads screws on your 2023 Shinn board...

Postby alexeyga » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:29 am

Just saying... This happened with 2023 board that has been assembled once and ridden twice, by somebody who's been through over 20x boards without ever having a single hardware issue (lost hardware doesn't count):

While board's disassembly for a flight, one of the pads screws decided to have it - its own way.
Uncounted cursing, some lubricant, some brute force and dare persuasion later - this was the result:
20230108_124826.JPG
I'm blaming this either on an issue with the screws supplied or a manufacturing defect with the insert affected. In all honesty these screws don't feel particularly inspiring when compared to these used with my older Shinn boards. Further inspection did produce at least one other screw with some kind of debris or damage of/in the thread. That's 2/4 or 50%.

According to the halfwit named Brat at Shinn's customer service - however - this isn't a subject to warranty (basically f@#k you - it's your fault) and it can be solved with an M6 bottoming tap (not that this chap knows terms of such technical level) and some new M6X20 screws. At your own expense that is, after paying full retail at today's rates.

I'd actually pay to see this gifted individuum trying to locate a bottoming M6 tap, in North America. Nevermind some very specific type, material and size metric screws.

I did manage to make an M6 bottoming tap by grinding down a regular one (which was part of a waaaaay larger kit).
I did manage to make the affected insert's threads - functional (term "restore" does't apply in this case).
I did manage to source some screws - albeit - I had to order a f@#$ load of them. Due to minimum order q-ty. At least - I'm replacing all of them, and will be able to do so upon every board's disassembly for the next few seasons.

Do I have full faith if this board? Given my style of riding - not anymore.
Will I buy another Shinn? Thanks to Shinn's step down in both hardware and customer service quality - this is rather unlikely. Not at Today's prices. Thank you very much!

Word of advise to all other current production year Shinn boards owners - you might want to check these screws, just in case. And if heading on a kitetrip - you might want to do so a few days before your departure date. I had a decent spare - not everyone does.

Cheers!
Last edited by alexeyga on Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Re: You might want to check the pads screws on your 2023 Shinn board...

Postby POACHER » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:44 am

Yeah that's a hassle on a new board for sure, but better than other issues I've encountered with twin tips from the last few years. At least this is fixable. I've had a board with a large resin bubble (sent back) that would have for sure delaminated, one that was warped almost a full 1.5" (didn't sit level on a solid surface) and two boards with hardware so shit that screws rusted orange in less than a few hours.

Easy fix on the shit hardware - Ebay titanium M6 15mm screws. They are all over the place and cheaper than stainless here if bought in decent quantities.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:31 am

This looks like stripped treads by screwing it in at an angle and forcing it in, destroying the tread. A bolt should always go in with ease, if you already need force from the start you are doing something wrong and should start over with a fresh bolt and check if it screws in smoothly without the straps first to make sure that you didn't damage the insert.

Would also consider this user error, unless the straps are made in such way it's is impossible to screw the bolts in straight.
These users thanked the author evan for the post:
Fusilli (Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:17 am)
Rating: 3.03%

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:22 pm

evan wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:31 am
This looks like stripped treads by screwing it in at an angle and forcing it in, destroying the tread. A bolt should always go in with ease, if you already need force from the start you are doing something wrong and should start over with a fresh bolt and check if it screws in smoothly without the straps first to make sure that you didn't damage the insert.

Would also consider this user error, unless the straps are made in such way it's is impossible to screw the bolts in straight.
Mate, you're saying this to somebody who's able to make a bottoming tap, really? The board come together without a hitch, and in over 20 years of snowboarding and kiteboarding gear fiddling - I have never had a stripped fastener or a damaged thread by cross-threading it. Kind of a wrong place to blame sloppy hands.

Cheers

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Sun » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:27 pm

For future hardware needs in North America, check out McMaster Carr.

Looks like a set of M6 stainless screws and a single bottoming M6 tap is less than $20. Might not get as much “extra” as sourcing from other places, but you can get exactly what you need.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:32 pm

Do you think that you or somebody achieved cold welding in the bottom threads? Were the screws put in with a gun?

These things can be galling!

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:26 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:22 pm
What else could it be? If a bolt goes in smoothly it should come out with no damage in such short usage period where cold welding and corrosion couldn't be the cause. And a damaged bolt from the factory should be obvious when mounting it for the first time.

Only other option is that the bolt is too short and the treads deformed from riding as the bolt wasn't seated deep enough.
It's either that or you did damage it when mounting. Can happen quite easily when using a drill instead of hand tools and one time needs to be the first, no hard feelings :wink:

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:47 pm

Looks like the screw was too short and only a tiny bit of the thread was holding and it broke loose. They should have given you the right screws.

Return to “Kitesurfing”