Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Core XR pro 10 vs Edge 11 low end?

Forum for kitesurfers
knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Core XR pro 10 vs Edge 11 low end?

Postby knyfe » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:59 am

I am a long time Edge user and love all the ranges of my 11. The top as well as the bottom and see that size as THE perfect fit for my local wind. I had the edge 10 for a few years and it was just too small for my needs. I really needed that 1 more sqm.

Now, is there the chance that I can replace my low end of the Edge 11 with the agility of a XR Pro 10? For sure I know the top end and agility will be better but thats not my concern.

G

corpuskiter
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Corpus Christi
Style: big air, tt and foil
Gear: varies
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Core XR pro 10 vs Edge 11 low end?

Postby corpuskiter » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:09 am

hmmmm. Core is coming out with a 3 strut aluula kite that would likely get you better low end than the Xr Pro or the edge. Neither of those kites are known for low end performance. That being said I dont think you are gonna get the same power out of a 10m xr pro as you can with an 11m Edge. I have flown both kites. I didnt find the Xr pro had more power for its size than an Edge. A 10m D lab in the right hands maybe, as it is shaped more like the edge than the Xr Pro and its 3 strut frame does provide better low end performance than the Edge. If you like the Edge than I would suggest waiting for the Core Pace (3 strut aluula coming out sometime this year I believe), getting a D lab, or sticking with the Edge.
Cheers
These users thanked the author corpuskiter for the post:
Guttorm (Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:47 am)
Rating: 3.03%

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:45 am

Thanks. Yeah, I am not looking at a specific low end kite for sure - I just dont want to loose the low end of the Edge11. And the XRp does not come in 11 but just 10 or 12.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:59 am

Worth mentioning here is that the Dlab 3 strut has 6 bridle attachment points either side. As with foil kites, this allows them to use a 3 strut with less weight 'but' maintain a good leading edge shape to make up for the give and take, best of both worlds..

Now having said that - by comparison 11 edge is a heavy kite to fly and slow turning. If you buy an Aluula kite, you could get a 12 or 13m that could have a better bottom end and turn faster.

I bought a 12m strut Flite for my light winds but instantly thought geez I should have got the 14.5 because it's so light and easy to fly with an excellent bottom end.

You won't understand what Aluula does until you try it. I'd always go bigger sizzling now that I know.. in 3 strut.

suisd12
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 80
Gear: Duotone
Has thanked: 0

Postby suisd12 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:17 am

Yes just tried the edge 11m just between my own 12m dlab sessions. The last one being much faster and clearly better low end

galzohar
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Old school and kiteloops
Gear: Duotone Rebel 13m 2023
North Orbit 9m 2023
North Atmos Carbon 138x41

Postby galzohar » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:54 pm

What is your local wind range? If you are working on tricks that would be easier with more power and won't be completely overpowered - Consider a 12.

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:40 am

knyfe wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:45 am
Thanks. Yeah, I am not looking at a specific low end kite for sure - I just dont want to loose the low end of the Edge11. And the XRp does not come in 11 but just 10 or 12.
I own the XR pro and the dutone d/lab 10m and the missus owns the d/lab 12. Dlab 10 is nothing short of exceptional when it comes to range. The 12m gives you a bit better lowend but surprisingly, it is not that powerful. Better than a Nexus 13.5 so not bad but not that powerful. The XR pro 12m is very close to the dlab 12m. They don’t develop their power the same way. The Dlab is definite Lighter and faster turning, the XR pro develops more lift and jumps better. Actually, the Dlab needs to be positioned perfectly in the sky and it likes to be moving. The XR has a wider sweet spot. I ´d go 12m XR pro as the top end is execellent. At 26 knots, I had depowered just a bit. I could have gone up to 28 (I am 96 kg).

This is long: for jumping XR pro for more all around performance Evo d\lab, XR feels more like an edge than the D\lab for sure.

suisd12
Medium Poster

Postby suisd12 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:41 am

Exactly where a 12m xr pro is made for. Boosting for heavy people. If you are lighter it might not be the best option. The dlab def rewards the better mover of the kite. Its not going to bring much extra stationary or by just pulling the bar jumping.
I would probably compare a 12 xr pro to a 13 evo dlab, they would be of similar speed. Often see people here comparing similar sizes of kites with each other as it might make more sense to compare similar speeds

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:00 pm

Yes I ask for boosting and looping for the main use. I also know that the Edge is not THE great low wind kite - that’s not the question but over the years I learned to make it work just great for that too and I don’t want to loose that one part. I am sure that the Xrpro 10 will boost great - that’s why I specifically consider it.

DLab - great kite for sure but we have so many problems with them here that I don’t consider it. Easily half of the brand new “premium “kites here have had bladder issues within 3-4 sessions. Others just blow up and other lines give way without even really loading them. Just what I see unfold on the beach.

suisd12
Medium Poster

Postby suisd12 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:33 am

Easily half of them have bladder issues in the first 3-4 sessions?? Im not a big fan of dlab quality, but of the approx 20 dlabs i know there was only 1 of this issues in the first 10 sessions.

Return to “Kitesurfing”