Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

advice on kite purchase- BT 9.4

Forum for kitesurfers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

advice on kite purchase- BT 9.4

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:57 pm

New to the sport..just a few lessons and the local shop has a "great deal" for me on a kite.

I weigh 180 lbs, winds are usually 10-20+ on average days, and the dealer is trying to sell me an unused BT 9.4 that they just discovered in their inventory from over a year ago ( they thought that it had been stolen from their loft and just found it burried under some old windsurfing equipment).

Is this kite too small for me or is a good deal on the price something that I should look for and start small and work my way up??

180lbs and a 9.4 seems too small for me...I need your unbiased profesional opinion before I negotiate a price.

Thanks

longy1975
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby longy1975 » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:40 am

Its an old kite now, extremly slow, and they do split down the leading edge easily, I would stay away from it, I know of three mates who had that model and they all had major troubles.

If your on a budget look for more of a pullet broof kite such as a Qcean Rodeo or Globerider , as a suggestion. Try and spend a little more to get something that will last you.

As far as sizing, you may be better off on a 14m

longy1975
Medium Poster

Postby longy1975 » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:40 am

Its an old kite now, extremly slow, and they do split down the leading edge easily, I would stay away from it, I know of three mates who had that model and they all had major troubles.

If your on a budget look for more of a pullet broof kite such as a Qcean Rodeo or Globerider , as a suggestion. Try and spend a little more to get something that will last you.

As far as sizing, you may be better off on a 14m

Mikito Harakiri
Rare Poster

Postby Mikito Harakiri » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:47 am

That's 9.4 projected. 12.8 surface. Pretty decent size for average rider. High aspect ratio - very fast kite. Don't listen to those gibberish kites promoters, you can buy this kite for half of the 2003 kites price, and if you are beginner you wouldn't notice any difference.

Mikito Harakiri
Rare Poster

Postby Mikito Harakiri » Thu Sep 11, 2003 4:59 am

The reason not to buy BT, is that it's high AR kite for intermediate to advanced rider. That means that you'll have more trouble relauncing it as compared to medium AR kite. My experience was that after 3 months of kiting on smaller 10M medium AR kite, I had absolutely no trouble with high AR kite even though I'm still a beginer.

Shannon
Medium Poster

Postby Shannon » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:29 am

I learnt on a BT 7 (12m2) I only weigh 65kg but I ride a wakeboard, Ive had this kite for a year now and have had no trouble at all with it. I still ride it all the time.

CosmoDog
Frequent Poster

Postby CosmoDog » Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:56 am

I like my 2002 BT 9.4(12.8) - no problems so far and fast enough for
me. I learned on it and relaunch was a bit of a pain
early on - pump it up. Stay away from the 2001s - potential
bladder probs.

-J.R.

Shannon
Medium Poster

Postby Shannon » Thu Sep 11, 2003 6:10 am

Forgot to mention mine is 2001, I've given this kite a fair hiding with no worries, the store I bought from had boxes full of bladders should I need one. But yes I have heard that about the bladders but never actually met anyone who had this trouble. :)

mickpilch
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mickpilch » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:30 am

Its a cracking kite, the 2002 9.4 is particularly sweet. Still does the job, good lift, quick and stable, the relaunch may be an issue at first - just make sure you give it some practice, then it wont be any problem

I love mine, I'm only getting rid now because I'm replacing my kites with a quiver of nitros.

:thumb:

KGN
Very Frequent Poster

Postby KGN » Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:40 am

I HAd a 2001 blacktip and all the bladders popped one after the other the very first time i blew them up..every single one!!But the store gave me replacements.I think the 2002 black tip wiil be fine.I see lots using and no problem.Im using 2003 blacktip and 2002 airush and they are all pretty good.Im not sure what your kite skills are..but that 12mtr will be fast and big enough to start.Dont get to small a board at first.150 or 160 to start.
Have fun and use your gear.Dont fall for the hype..kite skills are more important than having the newest gear.Go ride and be safe!
Oy yeah,ask the store to sick a qr on your chicken loop.I dont think the bar will have one. :idea:

Return to “Kitesurfing”