Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Suicide Mode Well Powered?

Forum for kitesurfers
KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Suicide Mode Well Powered?

Postby KYLakeKiter » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:28 pm

Starsky wrote:You should not have your leash attached to the end of the trim line that you pull in on the compstick. Clip the leash to the metal ring at the CL that has the red webbing handle on it. That way when you trim in a bunch, the only thing flopping around is the line with the plastic grab handle on it. Your leash and associates safety are held close to the chicken loop at all times and are not compromised no matter how weird that bit of line dangles.

https://youtu.be/ciolalmVKq4
I think you misunderstood my description. I do not hook to my trim line. I hook my leash to the center flag line that goes through the butterbox. What I am saying is that when I pull in a bunch of depower shortening the centerline, it creates slack below the swivel (on the flagging centerline), and the weight of the leash pulls that excess line with the ring and handle on down below the butterbox. This can end up being 6 to 8 inches of line flopping around with the ring and cloth loop on it creating many possible wrap and snag hazards. As you were referring to, the trim line also hangs down and can wrap around stuff, but because its a larger rope with a single plastic handle on the end, it seems to cause less trouble.

Not a big deal. Just saying that there might be a reason even hooked riders want to rig this way. (and yes, I agree that this should only be done by someone with enough experience to understand what will happen with this rig, and what to do with it)

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:37 am

KYLakeKiter wrote:
Starsky wrote:You should not have your leash attached to the end of the trim line that you pull in on the compstick. Clip the leash to the metal ring at the CL that has the red webbing handle on it. That way when you trim in a bunch, the only thing flopping around is the line with the plastic grab handle on it. Your leash and associates safety are held close to the chicken loop at all times and are not compromised no matter how weird that bit of line dangles.

https://youtu.be/ciolalmVKq4
I think you misunderstood my description. I do not hook to my trim line. I hook my leash to the center flag line that goes through the butterbox. What I am saying is that when I pull in a bunch of depower shortening the centerline, it creates slack below the swivel (on the flagging centerline), and the weight of the leash pulls that excess line with the ring and handle on down below the butterbox. This can end up being 6 to 8 inches of line flopping around with the ring and cloth loop on it creating many possible wrap and snag hazards. As you were referring to, the trim line also hangs down and can wrap around stuff, but because its a larger rope with a single plastic handle on the end, it seems to cause less trouble.

Not a big deal. Just saying that there might be a reason even hooked riders want to rig this way. (and yes, I agree that this should only be done by someone with enough experience to understand what will happen with this rig, and what to do with it)
Yep, used to do this when I was using a Switch bar, whose flag line lost its bungeeness since the bar doesn't flag out :[ Just got stretched and would dangle 15cm below the CL when I depowered, so I just switched to riding half-suicide even in sessions I wasnt unhooking at all.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:58 am

If you have a ton of depower pulled that is also the time to get a smaller kite
to be safer and have more fun. A smaller kite flies so much better than a bigger kite with "a ton of depower pulled".
Just sayin'

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:15 pm

knotwindy wrote:If you have a ton of depower pulled that is also the time to get a smaller kite
to be safer and have more fun. A smaller kite flies so much better than a bigger kite with "a ton of depower pulled".
Just sayin'
I have 3 sizes of kites, my bar just has enough trim that I don't ever need to change the knots on the rear lines. I'm also below average weight so I can't just ride full power 24/7 like a lot of people on this board seem to do.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:21 pm

Yea, I get that. What I was saying is the best way to fix a flopping around depower line that might cause a release problem is not necessarily to add complexity by changing the leash but bu decreasing the floppy depower problem. Maybe a smaller kite? Everyone uses what they think is best and safest, just saying for a novice it might be better to try and solve the problem, not add to it.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:16 pm

Why do you want to ride suicide mode?
Do you want to go unhooked?

If not, be safe and ride the normal modus, which I do too. If something happens I want to kill the power of the kite...releasing two times is calling the odds if sh** really happens

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:51 pm

Toby if you release the kite in "half suicide" it kills the power of the kite exactly the same as normal riding. Over the past two or three years all of the pros (except I think Ruben Lenten?) have also switched over to half suicide. You'll notice modern control bars all seem to come with that stainless steel figure 8 so it's easy to rig up half suicide. If you take a look at the modern north control bars they all come with that stainless steel figure 8 so you can rig it up half suicide. If you do handle passes the nice thing about half suicide is that the control bar can slot into the chicken loop if it has that aligning thing on the chicken loop spacer, makes it easier to put your chicken loop back on, but in full suicide your leash carabiner is above that slot and ruins the alignment so you have to always align it by hand.

In short, people no longer rig so that you have to release twice. In half suicide the quick releases work exactly the same as normal mode.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:34 am

I need to say something about the the leash being hooked up above the chicken loop. That is a bad idea since it side loads the hook which is not the way it is designed to hold a load. Plus I don't think any leash comes with a decent hook. I actually buy different hooks for my leash actual load rated stainless. I have had too many of the cheap ones open up on me in crashes while being suicide.

The best way to leash in is as said with the figure 8. If your bar does not have that you can all ways use some spectra or a shackle to make your own. If you want to go pure suicide which I do a lot of times. Is if you have a Slingshot bar or removable donkey dick like theirs. That eyelet works really good for your leash. My freestyle bar does not have a donkey dick to get in the way.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Has thanked: 0

Postby jeromeL » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:45 am

Half suicide the quick release is somewhat identical but sometimes the ring kind of catch of chicken loop end as it open but there seems to be enough tension to get it through.
Just worth mentioning that there might be a tiny bit of risk of kite staying powered a bit longer until it gets untangled...

Talking about the rings, the star bar ring is intersting, there is a square end in which you can out the chicken loop end into the lock then you leach into the ring. It's nice because when you quick release the ring is nth threaded through the loop so it doesn't get stuck in there.in addition the leash attachement is next to quick release and away from harness so when you re hook, the leash is not in the way. On my other bar I have to move he ring around prior to unhooking to make sure I can rehook easily...

Return to “Kitesurfing”