Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Maybe I'll get to keep my name after all..

Forum for kitesurfers
HendrikVdP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: cadzand-bad Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: kitebeach el gouna Egypt
Style: freestyle
Gear: north vegas '10 7m
north vegas '08 9&12m²
undergound flx 132
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Maybe I'll get to keep my name after all..

Postby HendrikVdP » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:10 am

Things just got interesting ... saw this on my FB feed.

Cabrinha/Neil pride team indeed seems to be hired on the North revamp. Klaus did a great Job managing Cabrinha and had a good feel for the industry and people.

Curious to see what the future will bring ! Customer confusion guaranteed for sure, magazines must be rubbing their hands with the marketing budgets that will be coming their way
Attachments
529C3055-6F51-49E6-8451-5362F222EFD6.jpeg

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Postby PinkNorthPride » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:31 am

Indeed, got this from a nice boy I met at a Pride meet in London over the weekend..

MEDIA RELEASE
For Immediate Release

NORTH IS COMING HOME
World-leader North Kiteboarding is not going anywhere, North is coming home, back to the source to be designed and built by its owners North Technology Group.

20 July, 2018, Connecticut USA - North Technology Group (NTG) has today announced it will make a significant investment in its brand North Kiteboarding - bringing the design, innovation and manufacturing of its products home under the umbrella of the group and ending its third party licensing agreement.

NTG will support North Kiteboarding’s newly established world-class leadership team to produce a full product range; sharing and harnessing North’s unrivalled technology innovations across all components of wind-powered craft - foils, technology, masts and boards.
The first new North product range is currently under development and will be released globally in August 2019, while in parallel tapping into the firepower of the NTG to develop exciting new products for all North riders and the wider kiting community.
Mike Raper, Director of Development and Brand at North Kiteboarding, said: “This is exciting news for the industry, the team is really looking forward to sharing new, innovative products with retailers, riders and the community.”
North Kiteboarding will be stronger than ever under a new, more efficient business model. The team will soon reveal a new brand experience that will enhance its connection with the kiteboarding community through its products, retailers, and digital channels.
Tom Whidden, CEO of NTG, commented: “We have so much technology within our group which we can better share with our fellow lovers of wind and waves. Sailing and kiting are equipment-driven sports - when you have the best gear, being out there in the wind, on the water is so much better - in fact it's the greatest feeling on earth.”
NTG’s recent world firsts and successes with America’s Cup hydrofoiling, masts and North 3Di composite sail innovations as well as Solar airplane prototyping present exciting opportunities to adapt and cross over into kiteboarding, that can only be fully realised by producing their own gear through the North Kiteboarding brand.
The new leadership team behind North Kiteboarding is made up of experienced industry innovators and leaders, determined to make kiteboarding more accessible, sustainable, innovative and exciting.
David Mead, Director of Manufacturing & Operations at North Kiteboarding, said: “Our team is working very hard to leverage years of experience and passion to develop a high performance range of gear. It’s awesome to be working closely with the NTG’s composite engineers and designers, as well as leveraging the unmatched aero and hydro expertise the Group has within its portfolio. It’s a very exciting time for the sport.”
The company will make further announcements late 2018. To keep up to date with developments retailers and fans of the brand can register for email updates at www.northkb.com, join the conversation on Facebook @Northkiteboarding, Instagram @north_kiteboarding, and follow the journey using #Northkiteboarding.

ENDS

For images, logos and social media posts click here

About North Kiteboarding:
North Kiteboarding has been the global number one brand in kiteboarding for over 20 years. The brand is owned by North Technology Group which is in turn backed by UK firm Oakley Capital. North Kiteboarding has been at the forefront of putting kiteboarding on the map and attracting high octane entrepreneurs like Elon Musk and Sir Richard Branson to the sport. No other brand has won more events, produced more world champions or product innovations over the past quarter century. www.northkb.com
About North Technology Group (“NTG”):

North Technology Group originated with worldwide sailmaking leader North Sails in 1957. Founded by Lowell North in a garage in San Diego, USA, NTG has grown into a diverse family of companies serving marine and manufacturing markets worldwide. Each company was built on the principle of delivering advanced performance through superior technology and a commitment to quality craftsmanship and customer service. Other NTG companies include; Edgewater Power Boats, North Thin Ply Technology, North Kiteboarding and Southern Spars, the industry leader in composite spars and rigging. For more information, please visit:
www.northsails.com
www.southernspars.com
www.ewboats.com
www.northkb.com

For more information and interview requests contact:
Ben Tucker
Hustle and Bustle
ben@hustleandbustle.co.nz
+649 373 5327 I +6422 051 6977

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:39 am

Yup, I also received that email.

Mike Raper... ;-)

Formerly Cabrinha !

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Postby PinkNorthPride » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:24 am

Well worse than that, the North Sail business model is consumer direct and knowing some of the names on that list and their propensity for previous international screw ups if they pursued that business model it could be a road to the mother of all melt downs.. Certainly here in the UK, couple that to Brexit which if headed the way it currently is could see dealers having to pay advance VAT on orders they were previously extended up to 90 days credit and that also includes Duotone.

So if I were a Dealer I would definitely be looking at another well known German brand Core as a source of stability in troubled times with it's distributor based model. ;-)

Bittersweet, two brands effectively out of the market, lets face it, is anybody going to buy a Duotone Rebel when there may a North Kiteboarding Rebel re emerging in the near future? Will the new NKB even be able to use the Rebel name? They've used the logo which technically is owned by Boards and More since they designed and registered it in 2001? I'm sure the phone lines are glowing red between B&M and their lawyers.

Smart Press Releases aside, this is not only going to make the mags rich, it'll also be feathering the nests of some fat lawyers in what is going to be a battle royale and in the end who pays? Customers and Dealers.. Not good news at all.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:03 pm

The logo belongs to North Sails.

The name Rebel etc belongs to B&M.

Here the history of Mike Raper

Cabrinha Sales manager 2000-2002
Cabrinha Commercial manager 2002-2008
Cabrinha Brand Manager 2009-2013
Cabrinha Division Manger 2013-2016
NeilPryde One Design Kites 2017
North Brand Manager and Product 2018

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:04 pm

it will be super interesting to see the brand value in action.

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:37 pm

Well this is very interesting. Is this the market unable to sustain the number of brands at current margins so we are seeing attempts by B&M, NP and co find a more profitable position? Would seem to be. It’s fascinating but it’s hard to see how the consumer will benefit. Prices in U.K. look like they could be heading further north 😂🤣😂 especially with F*&kupxit.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:58 pm

If the new North goes direct, the game will be different ...

Sure, people look on names, qualities, performance, but also price is a big deciding factor.

There was no big name in the game with direct sales yet...with North it is different, although it is a "new" team behind it...

I say: interesting !

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:58 pm

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:36 pm

Wonder who owns "Switchblade", maybe we'll see North Switchblades?

Return to “Kitesurfing”