Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Update Introduction of 2014 Freestyle Hydrofoil Wave Board,

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Update Introduction of 2014 Freestyle Hydrofoil Wave Boa

Postby BWD » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:41 am

lezo thanks for the explanation and perspective. The fuse and leash seems a smart idea, especially since it works for you in practice!
I still think a lever as long as the hydrofoil could put a lot of torque and stress on a part the size of a tuttle box. I would think this stress could be reduced by using a tapered composite plate on the foil, mounting to a flat plate in the board, with the bolts set in from the edges and corners a bit.
The maximum moment would be at the bolt position, instead of the edge of the plate. The taper of the plate could allow some flex to avoid putting so much stress at the edge on impact.
This way perhaps excess stress on the materials could be avoided.
Such a system could still be fused, by washers as you did, or some other way.
Anyway it sounds like your solution is smart. :thumb:

lander
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby lander » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:15 am

Instead of a leash, the foil should be able to float (like the newind foil)
Attachments
Udklip20.JPG
Udklip20.JPG (30.29 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
Udklip20.JPG
Udklip20.JPG (48.35 KiB) Viewed 1617 times

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Arcsrule » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:27 pm

lander, do you have any information on the NEWIND foil? A quick google search and I'm finding nothing. CARRIFINO, i'm checking your website daily and see something new each time. Could you post a pic of all three boards side by side for comparison? Also, are the foil parts interchangeable/replaceable from free ride to race size and shapes?

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:38 pm

Carafino. Not starting an argument with you but please next time when the try and sound like you know what you are talking about please do a proper google search for your info.
Looks like you google'd Tuttle box because you didn't know what it was and Google returned you a picture of a mini Tuttle box. This is far from what the top foil manufacturers are using and nothing you said made any sense.
C A R A F I N O 2014 wrote:Happy Holidays to all of you out there:

Here is a youtube video of the Freestyle Hydrofoil Wave Board for 2014, it is available in limited numbers as all new Carafino boards will feature diamond mounting. This wave board fits all pre 2014 plate mounted Hydrofoils compatible with Carafino bolt patterns for attaching the foil to the board. It also fits other brands hydrofoils that have an identical bolt attachment point as Carafino pre 2014 Carafino products. This bolt pattern will no longer be available on the production boards from Carafino in 2014 & beyond. http://youtu.be/roTNuUNnaZ4 https://vimeo.com/81353571

This is the new 2014 Freestyle Wave Board fitting all Carafino Hydrofoils and other brand hydrofoils compatible with Carafino. The boards come with a three year warranty from breaking. This board is one model in a series of three models delivered by Carafino for the year 2014. Race and Performance are the other models. These boards are in a limited number as the attachment point for the hydrofoils is converted to a diamond shape inserted into a Carafino designed box that streamlines the water and eliminates resistance caused by plate to board bottom attaching. All Carafino 2014 hydrofoils are not compatible with Tuttle box or similar construction windsurfing boxes introduced to the sport of Hydrofoil Kite Board manufacturing. The Carafino 2014 Hydrofoil is designed with diamond mounting plate that inserts into a diamond box for flush mounting on the bottom deck. It is fastened with Stainless steel bolts that are free from water flow resistance.

The new attachment point is a diamond box mount that connects the new Carafino foils to a specialized mounted system, (see pic enclosed) this new system is much tighter and does not wear down inside the modified tuttle box system used for wind surfing.

The tuttle box system eventually wears down and creates forward and aft play of the foil inside the tuttle box overtime. That is to say, where the foil shaft slides up into the board. This occurs because the box is designed to handle a fin shorter in length than a hydrofoil strut.

The tuttle box system is one of the greatest inventions by Mr. Tuttle to the sport of windsurfing, (it has been incorporated into kite surfing fin design mounting) as it was designed to eliminate windsurfing fins from pulling out of the windsurf board. Pressures associated with stress on construction to the fin box from fin loads. This was an extremely huge problem that windsurfing suffered in the early years of windsurf board construction.

One of the best windsurfers and acrobatic surfers, waterman and outstanding athlete, Rush Randle, http://www.pwaworldtour.com/index.php?i used a tuttle box system in the early 2000 years for his foil boards, however, the two components, (foil and board) worked against each other and created play in the mounted system, a movement that deteriorated the box over a short period of time due to riding stress on the joint.

The diamond plate system keeps the stress on a flat surface same as the plate originally designed for hydrofoil sport. This design has proven to be the most successful method to attach the foil. However, in the flat plate mounting, the boards originally designed for this method created drag when the rider brought the board to the water, as the water passing the foil mounting plate slowed down the rider. The new recessed diamond box allows the water to streamline pass the foil mount without drag, same as all surfing fins and sailing designs for rudder and dagger board joins, resulting is zero loss of speed due to attachment below the hull.
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/81353571[/vimeo]

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:17 pm

stefaans wrote:Carafino. Not starting an argument with you but please next time when the try and sound like you know what you are talking about please do a proper google search for your info.
Looks like you google'd Tuttle box because you didn't know what it was and Google returned you a picture of a mini Tuttle box. This is far from what the top foil manufacturers are using and nothing you said made any sense.
C A R A F I N O 2014 wrote:
[/vimeo]

Sorry Stefaans, but you come across as exactly starting an argument. The man probably knows very well what he's talking about...he's been making these thing for a long time. a Tuttle is a Tuttle, size has nothing to do with the engineering or lack of. I don't claim to know very much..i just sit back and listen, hoping that I might learn something. Don't insult people and maybe we all can learn a few things.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Arcsrule wrote:
Sorry Stefaans, but you come across as exactly starting an argument. The man probably knows very well what he's talking about...he's been making these thing for a long time. a Tuttle is a Tuttle, size has nothing to do with the engineering or lack of. I don't claim to know very much..i just sit back and listen, hoping that I might learn something. Don't insult people and maybe we all can learn a few things.
:thumb:

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:12 pm

A Tuttle is NOT a Tuttle. That picture that he posted that he thinks is a Tuttle is so far from a Tuttle its not even funny.
Go look at what Johnny Rotten gave you and check those out. Whatever Mr Carafino claims to be the problem is impossible!

Arcsrule, you are here to learn so you are welcome.

lander
Frequent Poster

Postby lander » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:17 pm

Arcsrule wrote:lander, do you have any information on the NEWIND foil? A quick google search and I'm finding nothing. CARRIFINO, i'm checking your website daily and see something new each time. Could you post a pic of all three boards side by side for comparison? Also, are the foil parts interchangeable/replaceable from free ride to race size and shapes?
If you just google "Hydrofoil newind" it should appear :wink: But hear is the web: http://www.newind.net/hydrofoil-newind-marlin.html

I dont know anything about the foil - I just like the idea that it floats...Dont know how it effect the sailing character?

I always find it interesting when new stuff appear - and super cool that Carafino keeps us updated with his plans. Hope more would do so, as we are a bunch of gear horny bastards on this forum :naughty: on the other hand, when you know what is going to come, you never buy what is available right now...so you could end up waiting for ever :-?

I just bought a Aguera foilboard (with a deep tuttle) and I love it :jump:

Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Arcsrule » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:33 pm

Thanks lander, congrats on the new foil. Hopefully you will keep us up to date on your trial and errors while learning :) Now I've got to research your new foil.

lander
Frequent Poster

Postby lander » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:58 pm

My new foil is also an Aguera, but I will keep you updated with trials and errors in athoner thread. I believe we should give the word back to mr. Carafino so he can paste his news here...Always interesting to know what is going on and thoughts to come...

Return to “Hydrofoil”